Mega Cache Container

justintim1999

A kayak barrel will give you the same storage and water tightness. What's more, it's round so it has better resistance to mechanical damage (read one of the first commets - broken corner after shipping).

The trick is to find a kayak barrel which does not have "kayak" in its name, because you pay extra just for the purpose of the container. So you should look for a plastic barrel that looks like the kayak one you might like (Sort of the same "premium", as with batteries. Those for airsoft are much more expensive even if they are the same as those for RC).

When I read "Mega Cache Container", I assumed that you meant the metal containers (about 3.5" tall, 2" diameter) with a screw-on lid that are sold as "Mighty Mega Cache Container" (Google will find multiple sources). Those seem to work pretty well, although they're on the expensive side.

But my experience is that plastic containers need to be protected from the sunlight, as fizzymagic indicated.

I have something similar - a proper watersports version that is probably the same sort of thing as a kayak barrel. I can't find an image online, but it's certainly 25 litres or so.

It's by far the best container I have out and is dry as a bone inside. It is, however, properly protected from sunlight which might help. Not cheap, but for a large cache in a great location was worth the extra pennies.

15 hours ago, niraD said:

When I read "Mega Cache Container", I assumed that you meant ...

Yeah, I thought it meant something larger than a "Large" (5 gal/20 liter or larger), but since "Large" is anything larger than that, the term seemed meaningless. :blink: 

At the stated dimensions, this "Mega Cache Container" is barely ~13 liters (taking the rounded corners and shouldered opening/lid into account); not even "Large"--just "Regular".

A .50 cal ammo can is roughly half the size (~7 liters) and can be gotten for about the same price--but without the UV issues.

16 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

A .50 cal ammo can is roughly half the size (~7 liters) and can be gotten for about the same price--but without the UV issues.

Well, some parks do prohibit opaque geocache containers, so the plastic container has the advantage of being at least somewhat transparent. But as soon as you cover it with tape/paint/whatever to protect it from UV light, there goes that advantage.

3 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

At the stated dimensions, this "Mega Cache Container" is barely ~13 liters (taking the rounded corners and shouldered opening/lid into account); not even "Large"--just "Regular".

Yeah, I found that strange too. The product description mentions "extra large sizing", even though it falls squarely in the "Regular" cache size category. I bet quite a few of these have been incorrectly listed as Larges.

Anyway, (said in an Australian accent) that's not a mega container, THIS is a mega container! :laughing:

15 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:
3 hours ago, niraD said:

Well, some parks do prohibit opaque geocache containers,

I've no doubt, but what percentage?  I've not seen one yet.

I've seen such policies online, but the local policies that I just checked require only that containers be clearly labeled as geocaches, and that any inappropriate markings (e.g., ammo calibers, hazmat warnings) be completely covered.

Of course, even a clear container isn't a 100% guarantee. I heard about a geocache-related bomb scare in a park near my home, that occurred not long before I started geocaching. In that case, the container was a clear tube decorated with pink and glitter.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, RummelClan said:

I will let you know. I just placed a deep freezer behind the mailbox geocache GC7BARX that I have. A lot of the larger items were not fitting in the mailbox.  If I notice water intrusion I plan on fabricating some sort of skirt around the lid to direct the water away from the seal. 

Thanks

I just placed a deep freezer behind the mailbox geocache. A lot of the larger items were not fitting in the mailbox.  

Curious, what has been placed in this mailbox?  Our ammo cans will take rather large trackables, and size-wise they're still less than a standard mailbox.

We do have a rural mailbox though, that is capable of so much more than the two large LNL containers we currently have in it.    :)

Edited by cerberus1
spllelling

I just placed a deep freezer behind the mailbox geocache GC7BARX that I have. A lot of the larger items were not fitting in the mailbox.

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious, what has been placed in this mailbox?  Our ammo cans will take rather large trackables, and size-wise they're still less than a standard mailbox.

We do have a rural mailbox though, that is capable of so much more than the two large LNL containers we currently have in it.    :)

Oh, okay...  Looked at the cache gallery.  By the name, figured it was a (rare) overloaded  "tb hotel" ...     But it seems it's just loaded with large swag. 

Please come back after a year and say whether that large container in back is still packed.  Thanks.   :)

Edited by cerberus1
splell
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

To me, a building or room kind of stretches the definition of a container.  

The building (storage room of a church) was the container since all the swag, TBs, log... were place all around the room. BTW, it was the superbonus that could be found after finding the bonus of one of the best series we've ever done. Unfortunately the series suffered frequent vandalism and eventually got archived.

17 hours ago, RufusClupea said:
17 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

To me, a building or room kind of stretches the definition of a container.  

:lol: But a culvert pipe doesn't? :lol:

Actually, to me, they're quite dissimilar.  A culvert pipe is just a large tube, open at both ends.   I've got some old notepads in my office.  Calling one of them a logbook wouldn't make my house/office a geocache.  

21 minutes ago, TahoeJoe said:

Cool looking container but if your local climate is like ours with extreme hot and cold temperatures, it would break down after a couple of years. 

Yes, plastic petrifies, and no longer seals.  Also, it gets brittle.  If it's otherwise a great container, and inexpensive, plan to replace the container on a schedule.

That one is not too big (and not "mega" or "large").  But extra big containers have new considerations. Here in Georgia, just allowing ambient air inside a container causes condensation, everything getting more wet each time it's opened.  I set up a 5-gallon paint bucket in my back yard, with a "Gamma Seal" twist-on O-ring sealed lid.  In the rain and with pressure and temperature changes, the bucket had a few inches of water inside in a couple of months.  I had not opened it in that time.