Any one else had this?

f_and_i

A new hide that I placed was published yesterday...all good I thought! 

However I had to instantly temporarily disable it due to cache location on the cache page was clearly wrong, but on the geocaching map and google etc, the coordinates were correct?! 

Any ideas on why this has happened and how to correct?

The cache name is Fisherman's Edge GC7CR66

Thanks

Hi.

It's at the end of a pier, right?

You've been bamboozled by Groundspeak's out-of-date maps (1.5 years) which are based on OpenStreetMap.  If you look at any current OSM-based map, it indeed shows the pier, which was added to the database 4 months ago.  (An incorrect version was added much earlier, but you won't expect any map to render it.)

Click the OpenStreetMap link to the left of the little out-of-date map to see what I mean.

Happy caching.  [:)]

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

Hi

Yeah that correct, its at the end of the pier! 

So is there anything I need to do, as i don't want other thinking it's in the sea :/ ...or should I just enable it again?

4 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hi.

It's at the end of a pier, right?

You've been bamboozled by Groundspeak's out-of-date maps (1.5 years) which are based on OpenStreetMap.  If you look at any current OSM-based map, it indeed shows the pier, which was added to the database 4 months ago.

59 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

There are multiple websites and mobile apps that provide different map sources.  If your coordinates are correct, and you've applied any relevant attributes, then that's the best you can do.

Agree -- you can't control maps, but you can ensure correct coordinates.  Do that, and let the mapmakers worry about the maps.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

You've been bamboozled by Groundspeak's out-of-date maps (1.5 years) which are based on OpenStreetMap.

At first glance, I was thinking this might have been what happened to me yesterday, but thinking for a second--it couldn't be.

I was tracking down a cache along the edge of a (large) creek.  I was 30 ft. from the edge, yet my 64 showed me walking along the middle of the (40'-50' wide) creek.  That's like a 50' error(?).  The only maps I've got in the thing are the ones Garmin included.  I laughed about it at the time.  I even located the cache, but can't log it cuz I couldn't get to it to sign the log due to the steep embankment.

Edited by RufusClupea

<aside>

51 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

That's like a 50' error(?).

And that's not at all unusual I'm afraid, but it's getting better over time.  In general, the older the data going into the map, the worse quality it is.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I was moving some creeks and railroad tracks into their correct places on OSM (try it now!), based on the latest sharp satellite imagery and calibrated with GPS tracks of people going through nearby intersections.  The government didn't have that technology decades ago when they were the place to go for maps, and unfortunately their sloppy data lingers when well-meaning people (ahem!) import it into OSM.

</aside>

Yeah remember OSM is open source, so they pull data from elsewhere or people manually add it. So the best solution for 'old' map tiles is to update it, or find/notify someone who can. :)

But because it's open, often a lot of the more commonly visited areas are much more detailed and up to date.  If more geocachers use OSM for trail tracking, it would be an amazing resource for trail systems.

Edited by thebruce0
On 9/25/2017 at 3:47 PM, cerberus1 said:
On 9/25/2017 at 3:01 PM, f_and_i said:

as i don't want other thinking it's in the sea ...

Your attributes don't show that scuba gear or a boat's needed,  and your D/T is 1.5. 

Anybody mistakes a 1.5 for a water cache needs more than a different map...:D

I'd also assume that anyone that goes to the general area (e.g. where parking might be available) would be able to see the pier and it would be pretty obvious that the cache was on the pier.