PN-40

SRDobb

Hello,  I am very new to geocaching.  I just found a new/unopened DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 in my garage.  I have learned that Garmin bought DeLorme and I have already contacted them, but they refused to help (sorry, not our product).  I have downloaded the system updates but cannot figure out how to get my computer and geocache.com to "talk" to the GPS and send geocaches.  I think I need a plug-in (which is what I contacted Garmin about).  I tried to download Garmin's alternative but keep getting a message that I have a Chrome window open (as directed I'm using Internet Explorer) and I know I have no windows open.  I also made Garmin a trusted site and tried loading through Firefox.  Any suggestions?  I'd really like to use this device.  Thanks!

I have a PN-60w and a PN-30 camo and have a work around using Topo USA, browsing your device under Windows, or an SD Card reader.

From the "Map" view in geocaching.com, click on the cache icon you want to find and it will open a dialog box describing the cache. Now click on the name of the cache at the top right which takes you to the actual web page for the cache. Next, download it as a GPX file and save it to your Download folder on your computer. Open Topo USA, click on the "Draw" tab, click on "File", and then "Import". Browse to your Download folder, click on the GPX file, and click open. Topo USA will import it as a Waypoint LAYER and from there you can install it how you like on the device, either through an SD card reader or through the Topo USA Exchange. It's not the best option as some of the earlier devices were limited on the number of Waypoints. But it's still better than trying to manually add them or being completely stuck. 

If you don't have Topo USA you can still use an SD card reader to copy and paste the GPX file into your "Waypoint" folder. Set your device to "Open SD Card" under the "Settings", "Connect my Computer" screen of your PN series device. If you prefer to install your waypoints on the internal drive then choose "Open Internal Drive".

**Using an SD card reader is BY FAR the easiest and fastest way to import your files. Sometimes Topo USA just gets stuck "Copying..." in the Exchange dialog box. If it does get stuck cancel out and then make sure you are clicking on the Waypoint file and not the Waypoint Layer. You have to click the "+" symbol beside the Waypoint layer to expand the layer and then you can click on the actual file. Once the file is highlighted Topo Exchange will send it right over.

Edited by WeekNDHiker
I keep adding more detailed instructions. I can't help myself...

Another method to load geocache. Run pocket query. Send it to your email. open that email and download the pocket query.

Connect the PN unit to your computer as a drive. Open the waypoints folder. Drag and drop the files into that folder.

Then tell the PN unit to connect as a GPS. Disconnect the unit then open the geocache file that you loaded. you can load more than one file in.

Good hunting for cache.

I love my old pn-40! My interface cable died a while back, so I just bought a cheap SD card and once formatted on the gps, I just pull the sd card out and copy my pocket queries to that. It's been rock solid dependable for nearly 10 years.  It's been dropped, rained on, tossed, and lost.

9 hours ago, cejs said:

I love my old pn-40! My interface cable died a while back, so I just bought a cheap SD card and once formatted on the gps, I just pull the sd card out and copy my pocket queries to that. It's been rock solid dependable for nearly 10 years.  It's been dropped, rained on, tossed, and lost.

A little off topic but about six years ago I had a similar problem with my cables, mainly the pins made poor contact.  I found new, larger pins with a longer stroke and replaced them on the USB and Recharging cables.  I haven't had any issues since. 

Pin Comparison (2 Views).jpg

Final Sole Plate.jpg

6 hours ago, Capt. Bob said:

A little off topic but about six years ago I had a similar problem with my cables, mainly the pins made poor contact.  I found new, larger pins with a longer stroke and replaced them on the USB and Recharging cables.  I haven't had any issues since. 

(Sorry to continue off topic, but...) Wow, does that really work? I happen to be staring at a cable that's been giving me trouble forever and just screwed me over this morning, and it never occurred to me I could open the head and replace the pins to make it all better. Is it as simple as you're suggesting? Now that you've mentioned it, I might be able to just open it up and clean the existing pins to make it work.

Yes it’s been working without an issue for many years, not one pin failure.  It isn’t that difficult if you have a little soldering skill.  It’s a matter of carefully removing the back cover, removing the old potting compound and old pins, replacing with new pins, re-solder the wires, replace the cover and fill with epoxy.  I have step-by-step write-up.  If you would like a copy let me know.  In any case I would start with the re-charging cable first, it only has two wires as shown below.  The two main failure points are the pins, they have poor range of motion, and the wire connection, the wires fatigue and break.  Using the newer pins and applying the shrink tube solves these issues.

Three Pieces (C).jpg

Edited by Capt. Bob

Hello / Help.  I'm new to Geocaching, and am getting the hardware inplace first.  I picked up a Delorme PV-40 (yes, I know the age) for VERY little money.  I am familiarizing myself with it, and decided to update the firmware to Ver 2.9 from the Garmin web site.  All seemed to be going well when it inadvertently lost power (was plugged into power source).  

Well, I ended with not able to start up, or get any response from it.  Have tried the many multi key presses, discharge capacitor, reset unit, without success.  Is there a "last try option" out there?  I have tools / skills to open the unit if necessary.

I will approach Garmin to see if thy have also retained any Delorme knowledge for repairs.

Thanks, 

Bruce

On 2/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, BEHolloway said:

Hello / Help.  I'm new to Geocaching, and am getting the hardware inplace first.  I picked up a Delorme PV-40 (yes, I know the age) for VERY little money.  I am familiarizing myself with it, and decided to update the firmware to Ver 2.9 from the Garmin web site.  All seemed to be going well when it inadvertently lost power (was plugged into power source).  

Well, I ended with not able to start up, or get any response from it.  Have tried the many multi key presses, discharge capacitor, reset unit, without success.  Is there a "last try option" out there?  I have tools / skills to open the unit if necessary.

I will approach Garmin to see if thy have also retained any Delorme knowledge for repairs.

Thanks, 

Bruce

Did you try a NVM reset?  After removing the batteries press and hold the 'Start' button for about 10 seconds. Replace the batteries (be careful of the polarity!).  Make sure the battery contacts are secure, they are known to get bent over time, then try one of the following procedures.

Trouble acquiring a satellite fix or the device is resetting while viewing the satellite page
1.Turn the Earthmate PN-Series GPS off.
2.Hold down the PAGE, MENU and Power buttons.
3.Once you see the dark blue Warning screen, release the Power, PAGE and MENU buttons.
4.Press ENTER.
5.Scroll to System and press ENTER.
6.Scroll to NVM reset and press ENTER.
7.Scroll to Yes and press ENTER.
Note: If using a PN-60 or PN-60w, press ENTER when 'Operation Successfully Completed' appears.
8.Press the QUIT button.
9.Scroll to Reboot and press ENTER.
10.Give the device a full ten minutes to download the latest satellite constellation information and to acquire a 3D fix.

Troubleshooting poor or incorrect electronic compass readings
Only the Earthmate GPS PN-40, PN-60, and PN-60w devices have an electronic compass. PN-20 and PN-30 devices will not have the ability to debug a compass.
3.Once you see the dark blue Warning screen, release the Power, PAGE and MENU buttons.
4.Press ENTER.
5.Scroll to Test and press ENTER.
6.Scroll to Debug Compass and press ENTER.
7.Set the device on a level, non-magnetic surface and press ENTER.
8.After 10 seconds, press the MENU button.
9.After 10 seconds, press the PAGE button.
10.After 10 seconds, press the QUIT button twice.
11.Scroll to Reboot and press ENTER.
12.Calibrate the electronic compass and test the unit.

Reformatting the Earthmate PN-Series GPS Device (Last Resort!)
If the GPS has an issue unresolved by the steps above and the latest firmware has already been installed, a reformat of the device could correct the issue. Performing this reset will delete all data and maps installed to the internal memory of the device. Back up any of this data you are interested in saving!
4.Press ENTER.
5.Scroll to Media and press ENTER.
6.Scroll to Low-level Internal Reformat... and press ENTER.
7.Scroll to Yes and press ENTER
Note: If using a PN-60 or PN-60w, press ENTER when 'Operation Successfully Completed' appears.
8.Press the QUIT button.
9.Scroll to Reboot and press ENTER.
10.Install the latest version of the firmware.