J2B2: Robot Village

Forest-Ghost

I'm in Seattle for the week and was hoping to play J2B2 Robot village:

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=66376d36-3dd9-4d28-84f5-87bdfcf1d7b7

The cartridge currently crashes on both iPhone and android. Any chance someone could take a look at it and upload a working version to Wherigo foundation? I dont have my computer on the trip so I don't have access to any of the Wherigo builders. I realize this is a pretty big request but it would mean a lot to get to play the cartridge while I'm in town. Thanks.

ps, the cartridge just became open source as of a couple days ago, otherwise I would have tried to fix it prior to the trip.

Edited by Forest-Ghost

Woah...  I hadn't looked at the source code for that cartridge before.  It looks like this cartridge was created before the standard way of creating cartridges was determined.  Everything belongs to the "wig" object--even the cartridge.  I'm guessing part of it was created during a time when no one knew what the hooks into the player app would look like.

Will you still have an opportunity to play the cartridge on Wednesday?  If so, I can create a new one from scratch later this evening, supposing my job lets me have an evening.  Let me know.

Wow thank you! Yes I will have time on Thursday and Friday to play through it. I'm really interested to look at the cartridge now too.

On a side note, I played through a couple other J2B2 cartridges now and they are always really interesting. I believe J2B2 was originally a team of Groundspeak developers that created Wherigo but am not clear on who exactly that was. I will post to the forum if I can find out more.

I put in three to four hours tonight.  I think I'm 35% done.  I've just been piecing the logic together based on what I found in the original source.  The original source, once you figure out what it's doing, is a nice template for story-based cartridges.  It's just too bad it does things quite different from the rest of Wherigo.

Here's the cartridge source so far.  It's not playable and I have a lot more to do.  I'm trying to write it all in Groundspeak's builder, mostly so people can import it into their favorite builder.  Considering some of the logic differs only by which image is shown in the message box, there's a lot of repetition.  Honestly, though, had I just coded the thing straight out as I normally do, I'd be much farther along.  But we do the hard stuff so it's easier on others, right?

I know I might have to stay late at work again on Wednesday.  If I'm still working on it by Thursday night, I'll cut corners so I can get a working version to you.  At least, that's my intent, barring other things coming up at work, which has lost its mind this year.  (I've still only officially taken two days off this entire year.  It's looking more and more like I'll be losing most of my other days off, considering they just added another project, due by the end of the year.  This is also why I still haven't continued my work on an open source, expanded version of Wherigo\\kit, or done much work on the Wherigo Foundation project.  It's not always a good thing to be known as the talented, fast one at work.)

Too bad I can't charge Groundspeak for my time.

The cartridge is now in a playable format.  I have a few things to work out, but those involve inconsequential things, such as not being able to make conversation with the robot at random times.  If you absolutely need to play it now, you can.  If not, watch the listing and I'll add a note when I update the code.

Go to WG12N.  I have added you as a tester contributor, so you can see the unpublished listing, look at it in Webwigo, and download the GWC.  No one else will be able to access the listing until I publish it.

As I said, if you need it now, go ahead and use it.  If not, wait until I finish testing the cartridge.

On a side note, I came up with a way to get around the issue of having one common event after the multiple branches in the logic (such as with character interaction): I just set a one second timer and continue the logic on the timer's tick event.  Had I been writing author script, I wouldn't have needed to bother with that.  However, I did want to see if I could write the thing completely in Groundspeak's builder app.  I could, in fact: I didn't have to use a shred of author script this time.

Wow thank you so much Ranger Fox!!! I was able to download the cartridge and open it. We're driving back from the Olympic National Forest now but I will add a note about how it played after we get back to Seattle. I really appreciate taking the time to get the cartridge working. I have seen the listing for this cartridge on the Wherigo.com home page ever since I started geocaching so it will be pretty awesome to finally play it. I'm really curious now to see how it is written as well. I will look for the newer version of the cartridge too, although sounds like this one works just fine. If there is ever anything I can do to return a favor please don't hesitate to ask. Your contributions are greatly appreciated. 

Okay.  I'm done.  You can download the final version at the WF listing (WG12N) for now.  Please let me know if it works well for you and if the clues and hints are still current.  You'll receive my contact information via a private message so you can contact me if anything goes wrong.  Please use it sparingly.  Once you're happy with it, I may upload it to Wherigo.com so others can continue to enjoy the cartridge.

One thing of note: I think I mentioned I was using timers to merge the logic paths (in lieu of having to write author script, which would have meant people who did not code cartridges wouldn't have been able to benefit from downloading the source).  Because of that, you might see a one second delay in some of the messages.  For example, before your encounter with the junkyard dog, after you finish charging the crystal, or each time the robot says on to the next task.  I think that's a negligible player experience hit compared to allowing me to write things once and use them in a few places.

Anyway, this was quite a little bit of work to get everything just right.  I hope others will be able to benefit from this as well.  Too bad there isn't a cache associated with it.

Thank you again! Wow, I really appreciate this. We will be stopping by tomorrow sometime around the cito event. It is too bad there isn't a Wherigo with it. Interesting thing is that it seems all of the J2B2 cartridges were cartridge only. One of their cartridges was located in St. Louis which I adopted into a geocache. It was the first Wherigo I made with urwigo and was really helpful to see how the cartridge was laid out and also as a tutorial for learning some basic coding. 

Once I get back home I will take a closer look at the cartridge, im really interested to see how the timers work. Thanks again Ranger Fox!!!