Android Wherigo app

seekerz15010

Why is there an Android app for Wheryougo, when you can't download cartridges to use on it? What's up? Deleted all apps.... Not working anyways. I wanted to try Wherigo caches, like I do with geocaching.com. But, cartridges will not download to my Samsung, Galaxy s7 tablet. App installs but can't get the cartridges to download in order to use it. Bought an SD card to help with space, still didn't make any difference.  Help, if I'm missing something! 

The whereyougo app does indeed play Wherigo cartridges. I just used it the other day. Open the Wherigo.com website in your browser, find and download a cartridge (make sure its for pocket pc) and then after pressing the download button there should be an option to press a button that says (share with) which will allow you to share the cartridge with the whereyougo app. The other option is to set the Wherigo cartridge folder from within the app so that when you download a cartridge it will be imported into the apps folder. 

On 9/25/2017 at 10:22 AM, Ranger Fox said:

You could always try WheriGeooh (Android) and let this community know if it works better.

Moderation action taken: I fixed the Wherigo name in this thread's title.

I have used the Geooh Live built in Wherigo player several times now and I like it a *lot* better than the Wheryougo player. Everything is smoother and the entire user experience is much improved.

• Upvote 1

I've tried a number of times to get WhereYouGo to download the Joe Pickett Wherigo cartridge to my Android phone.  No luck.  Always get a download error.  Saw this thread last night after some searching, so I downloaded WhereiGeooh*.  It won't download the cartridge either.  I manually typed in my geocaching.com username and password.  I've gone to the Wherigo.com website and done the same and can log in there, but can't download the cartridges to my phone. 

Advice would be very welcome here.

* as far as the app itself:  WhereiGeooh seems to have some nice features but it is horribly slow to do anything:  show a map, show details for a cache, show a log.  I'm also not happy with how many permissions I had to allow it (photos, files, media, etc. in addition to location).

On 8/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, frumiousb said:

I've tried a number of times to get WhereYouGo to download the Joe Pickett Wherigo cartridge to my Android phone.  No luck.  Always get a download error.  Saw this thread last night after some searching, so I downloaded WhereiGeooh*.  It won't download the cartridge either.  I manually typed in my geocaching.com username and password.  I've gone to the Wherigo.com website and done the same and can log in there, but can't download the cartridges to my phone. 

Advice would be very welcome here.

* as far as the app itself:  WhereiGeooh seems to have some nice features but it is horribly slow to do anything:  show a map, show details for a cache, show a log.  I'm also not happy with how many permissions I had to allow it (photos, files, media, etc. in addition to location).

Have you contacted support@geooh.com about your issues with WheriGeooh? Shouldn't be slow so there may be another problem.

Geooh also uses the latest Android permissions model which gives users fine grained control over the resources an app uses. Google is requiring that of all newer apps. The older apps like c:geo use the same permissions... photos, files, etc (open Android settings and examine each app to confirm), but c:geo asks for a blanket permission once for MULTIPLE resources without allowing you to selectively choose them... which is against what Google is trying to do. So actually Geooh is following the latest protocol and is really a benefit to users. It's what all the responsible apps do.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:19 PM, Ranger Fox said:

Did you open the Chrome browser on your phone and try downloading the cartridge that way?  Completely separate from any Wherigo Player app?

Trying this now.  There are four different choices for cartridge type, three types of GPSes (I just use the GPS features and the geocaching apps on my Android phone) and PocketPC.  Guess I'll choose that last one...  Ooof.  Now I have to get it to some other directory because it isn't where Wherigo is looking.  I have some other things I need to work on today; will try to get back to this one another time.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:19 PM, Ranger Fox said:

Did you open the Chrome browser on your phone and try downloading the cartridge that way?  Completely separate from any Wherigo Player app?

This definitely worked for me, as ALL Wherigo Android apps had download errors on my phone when downloading via the apps. In order to reset "always/just once download with" Wherigo app, I had to delete all Wherigo apps so that I could re-select to always download with a web browser instead. 

Try t

On 9/10/2018 at 8:44 AM, drdr88 said:

This definitely worked for me, as ALL Wherigo Android apps had download errors on my phone when downloading via the apps. In order to reset "always/just once download with" Wherigo app, I had to delete all Wherigo apps so that I could re-select to always download with a web browser instead. 

Try to download it manually. Even from your PC and drop it on your smartphone in desired place.

Login to Wherigo.com is required before downloading.