Visualizing possible hiding spots on a map

nextlogicalstep

When you go to the page to create a new cache, you're shown a map with circles 161 metres / a tenth of a mile around posted geocache locations in the area. It's a useful visualization of where it might be possible to place a new cache (keeping in mind unknown cache locations and other guidelines) before actually visiting the area to scout out locations.

Does anyone know of a way to view a similar map with circles a set distance around posted geocache locations, but with the ability to choose that distance?

One of the major parks systems in my area has a policy that caches must be a minimum of 500 metres apart. It would be helpful to have a way of visualizing this on a map.

What browser are you using?

On Firefox, install Greasemonkey (which allows you to run outside scripts on web pages). Then install Geocaching Map Enhancements: https://openuserjs.org/scripts/JRI/Geocaching_Map_Enhancements

When it's installed and running, you can click the "i" icon, click the map, then select "Marker". Set the radius size (default is 161 m / 528 ft), and it'll make that circle you want.

Another browser? I don't know. There's probably other script things like Greasemonkey you can use to run this tool.

Ah, you have to be using the Leaflet maps rather than Google. I changed my map preferences and got it to work.

It seems you can't have it so that it automatically adds the circle around caches, but you can pick spots and then see if any caches are too close. Not quite what I was hoping for, but still useful.

Is there a way to make the circles go away once you've created them?

Thanks.

Edited by nextlogicalstep

I just nervously checked it out, and GME still works, phew !

However, what I've found for a while now is that it only loads sometimes: I read somewhere that's because it works if it connects with a certain server, but not another. I have no idea if that's true or not , but in practice that means if I need GME features and it doesn't appear I simply repeatedly refresh the map until it does. Annoying but worth the effort as I find the tools very uselful.

Screenshot evidence appended.

Capture.JPG