Category search function broken?

wilsonjw

I don't know, but I think this error massage is quite recent. It used to work - or, better: it used to look like it worked.

But there is a much deeper problem, that made this search useless even before: categories created after a certain date (around 2012 or so, don't remember) never got indexed.

There is an easy workaround for it. Open the Full Category List (last but one in the lower right hand side box) and then search in the page content (ctrl+F for most desktop browsers). I've been doing this for years.

17 minutes ago, wayfrog said:

Groundspeak is working on the search function, a few days ago the search function worked 100% again. All new categories have been indexed, I tested it. If the error should take longer than expected (not working again soon) than it's planed to fix it next week.

This is good news.

We've been using the full list for years now - not because the search function was broken (didn't even known it was) but because the whole list is so much easier to use. After a while one gets to remember the shortcuts to their most used categories. For example, Lucky 7 is [spacebar] 7, all churches are near "this" (short for "This Old Church"), most of the structures I Waymark are near "stee", short for "Steeples", etc. Need "U.S. National Register of Historic Places"? - type in "al reg". It's a lot simpler, and quicker, than clicking your way there.

So, if the function is never fixed, we'll likely never know... ...or care :rolleyes:

Keith

I also use the category list a lot, because it is a lot faster. The only problem with the category list is: What, if you don't remember the name of the category you're looking for. "Simulacra" is one that just won't stay in my brain. :-) In such situations I use my favorite search engine with criteria like "site:Waymarking.com category resemblance". If you try this, you will notice that it doesn't work, because there is a typo in the category description, but you get the idea.

15 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I also use the category list a lot, because it is a lot faster. The only problem with the category list is: What, if you don't remember the name of the category you're looking for. "Simulacra" is one that just won't stay in my brain. :-)

I will have to admit that we've encountered the identical "lethologica" dilemma more than once. When it happens we either use "best guesses" or peruse the departments. As a rule, there are only one or two departments in which the lost category is likely to fit.

Keith

On 24.9.2017 at 7:40 PM, wayfrog said:

Groundspeak is working on the search function, a few days ago the search function worked 100% again. All new categories have been indexed, I tested it. If the error should take longer than expected (not working again soon) than it's planed to fix it next week.

Fixed!

Wayfrog is correct, we are making some efforts to get the search index into a more healthy state. We've been re-indexing the data and upgrading the software under the covers, but in doing so we've had a few hiccups including the one we are experiencing right now. Hopefully within the next few days we'll have it in a better, more reliable place. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bootron

Edited by bootron

'An Error Has Occurred' for category search is an ever-recurring problem  :rolleyes:
workaround with Full Category List it solves only partially
it would be much better to have a complete Expanded Description for all categories
eg. in one simple text file
then I guess would not need any more online category search on Waymarking.com :)