Geocaching logo?

Cmotitan

11 minutes ago, Cmotitan said:

I know this has probably been addressed before, but why aren't the geocaching items I find, not  have a geocaching logo on them? Why is this not mandatory, to have the logo on them? 

Why should they have the logo?  The container might be too small, too camouflaged, might be part of another location game or letterbox, etc ...

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Cmotitan said:

I know this has probably been addressed before, but why aren't the geocaching items I find, not  have a geocaching logo on them? Why is this not mandatory, to have the logo on them? 

Some of mine had a professionally printed waterproof vinyl sticker. Over time, it fades, cracks falls off, or goes away when the old box is replaced. The “logos” are an added expense and extra maintenance. I don't like the style of most of the labels, and I'm out of “G” logo squares. The companies that print them come & go. I'm considering making my own, but they would have to be inexpensive yet endure outdoors. AND remember that the little people are not allowed to freely print the official Geocaching logo. So I also designed my own logos.  I don't have a way to "print" a durable label at home.  Not one that withstands the harsh environment.  For an ammo box, I sometimes use a stencil I bought, and spray paint it.

As mentioned, some of my caches would be a complete giveaway of a hide in plain sight. The idea is to search for it, and I've rated it accordingly. I would hope it does not become mandatory that a cache container is easy to find.

There are containers sold with “logos” inscribed. But when your container is stolen or damaged, you might not be able to buy a new one exactly like the old one. And if you can, the price went up.

My compromise is to stick an inkjet-printed label inside a clear container (and that print fades out pretty quickly), and have all other info available inside the container. There would be no doubt you found my cache once opened. With other caches, if it is at the coordinates and fits the description, and has a log sheet inside a container, that's usually the cache.

Edited by kunarion
26 minutes ago, Cmotitan said:

Nope, not that I can recall...

The containers don't belong to geocaching.com.  They are owned and maintained by a  Cache Owner. 

Some of  our ammo cans are marked as geocaches, and all have something pertaining inside (including logs with the logo...).

When the site decides that advertising is worth a free yearly membership, I'm in.    :D

In even my Micro caches, I've included info printed on the cache log sheet.  I would not make it a requirement, unless the particular park has extra requirements (in which case, I'll leave that place to others to hide caches).  But I never print the trademarked logo.  The more I read about usage restrictions, the less I used it in my projects. I have my own logos now. 

But when you open the container and look at the log sheet, there's no doubt it's my cache.  I hope that's acceptable.  :anicute:

IMG_6296.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I understand what y'all are saying, and agree. But down here in South Central Louisiana, some of the caches, or most are put in briar patches, deep in thickets, snake infested spots. Only a couple so far have actually taken their time and imagination to hide them. The rest of them seem to just throw it in the woods. One was in the bottom of a white pvc pipe stuck in the ground about 5 foot high, luckily I know south Louisiana because, when I peeked in the pvc pipe it was full of red wasp. 

2 hours ago, arisoft said:

Do you mean something other than https://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

Yes, but that's a good start if the OP is asking about how to make logo items for their own use.

The online info has changed.  The specifics aren't shown today, they may be given if you contact GS. If you'd like to wade into the tall grass of restrictions and legal issues, see threads on this forum, such as this one in which I participated.

I may eventually have waterproof sheets of labels professionally printed (if per label is inexpensive).  But they will be logos I designed myself and that I own.  That way, I don't have to read a lot of legal mumbo jumbo and I never have to ask the copyright holder.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, Cmotitan said:

I understand what y'all are saying, and agree. But down here in South Central Louisiana, some of the caches, or most are put in briar patches, deep in thickets, snake infested spots. Only a couple so far have actually taken their time and imagination to hide them. The rest of them seem to just throw it in the woods. One was in the bottom of a white pvc pipe stuck in the ground about 5 foot high, luckily I know south Louisiana because, when I peeked in the pvc pipe it was full of red wasp. 

I don't know if stickers would help.  I'm pretty sure that Louisiana snakes and wasps don't read Geocaching logos.  :)

Your main issue seems to be about caches that you can't tell from trash, and I feel your pain.  I kind of try to avoid those.  Look on the web site for caches with lots of Favorites, and nice big containers, where logs say how cool the cache is.  Hunt those.  If you're using the Official App, you can even enter coordinates for the "Advanced" ones you see on the web site which are not in the App (plus there are more ways to do that, and more Apps), caches that may not actually be much tougher than what you've found, but are hidden on the App since they are not the absolute easiest guaranteed find.  The caches where someone threw a cottage cheese container into a thorn field of snakes and wasps, hunt those later.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, Cmotitan said:

That is just part of this game.  Some folks are not very imaginative when hiding caches.

I think you will find that there are quite a few hiders that do care about the quality of their caches.  You might want to check out the number of favorite points caches have before you head out to "the hunt".  You will have a better chance of not being disappointed if you search for high favorite count caches.  

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Cmotitan said:

Curious how putting a logo on them would improve the cache experience on one placed in an awful spot.

Agree with the others, in your case favorite points may be a good option, and just reading cache pages for favorable logs would help too.  :)

• Upvote 1

For reference, the container guidelines do say (emphasis added):

To avoid confusion or suspicion if your cache is found by a non-geocacher, follow these tips where possible:

• Label your container as a geocache.
  • Choose a transparent container to show that the contents are harmless.
  • Include "instructions for finders".
  • Do not place containers that could be perceived as bombs or other dangerous items.
  • If the container has military markings, permanently cover or remove them.

But note that labeling (and including "instructions for finders") doesn't require any specific logo.