Roundabout traffic / Kreisverkehre

Werte Foremgemeinde und interessierte des Waymarking

Weltweit verbreitet gibt es diese Straßenverkehrsobjekte, mal als Mini-Kreisverkehr oder in einer Ausdehnung von weit über einem Kilometer. Manchmal sind diese Objekte einfach abmarkiert vorhanden, meist aber so groß, daß sie weitere Objekte im inneren des Kreisverkehres aufweisen. Ich würde sehr gerne diese als neue Waymarking Kategorie sehen. Beim Besuch des Kreisverkehres setze ich die Intelligenz des Waymarkers voraus und die Straßenverkehrsordnung beachtet, schon aus Gründen der eigenen Sicherheit. :rolleyes:

Hierzu auch: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreisverkehr

Freue mich auf Eure Mitarbeit ...

Worldwide, there are these road transport objects, sometimes as mini-roundabouts or in an extent of well over one kilometer. Sometimes these objects are simply marked, but they are usually so large that they have more objects inside the roundabout. I would very much like to see this as a new Waymarking category. When visiting the roundabout, I assume the intelligence of the waymarker and the road traffic regulations, for reasons of their own safety...

Let us discuss here. I am glad of your personal opinion ...

Euer *SportBaer*  / yours sincerely *SportBaer*

59c4a97d6e5fb_20170921_082822_resized1251.thumb.jpg.a7a1832b0e004a82b73ad74be9bc40a3.jpg59c4a7dcd87a0_20170921_083144_resized_11250.thumb.jpg.b70849cc701daf5fcd9f6703eec1e1c5.jpg

Just an example: One of two 'Roundabout traffic' in our city.

They are everywhere in my area. I don't get what could be interesting about them. Yes, sometimes - often - there are objects inside, and sometimes they are interesting.

I have about a dozen waymarks that are located inside of a traffic circle: realistic and abstract sculptures, fountains, even a power plant turbine wheel,  a real steam locomotive and a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. None of them would be less interesting if it would be somewhere else. The circle itself does not really matter.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, fi67 said:

They are everywhere in my area. I don't get what could be interesting about them. Yes, sometimes - often - there are objects inside, and sometimes they are interesting.

I have about a dozen waymarks that are located inside of a traffic circle: realistic and abstract sculptures, fountains, even a power plant turbine wheel,  a real steam locomotive and a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. None of them would be less interesting if it would be somewhere else. The circle itself does not really matter.

I agree. Most of the time it's the object in the middle that makes the location interesting. It might also be a Quadrivia, but that's another category we already have. I think that the number of roundabouts, which are interesting as a roundabout itself, is very small. One example might be http://motorblock.at/der-haerteste-kreisverkehr-der-welt/ (would fit in the Superlatives category ;)). But I'm openminded. If there are roundabouts that are interesting, post some examples.

1 hour ago, elyob said:

Roundabouts (traffic circles) are so rare in North America, some might consider them interesting even without objects in them.  However, I would not support such a category due to the dangers from traffic.

It's more dangerous driving TO the traffic circle than taking a picture of one. We have a category for railroad bridges, but are we worried that someone will be hit by a train taking a photo of one? (Besides, if someone cannot be trusted to take proper precautions, then let Darwinism rule the day!)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

It's more dangerous driving TO the traffic circle than taking a picture of one. We have a category for railroad bridges, but are we worried that someone will be hit by a train taking a photo of one? (Besides, if someone cannot be trusted to take proper precautions, then let Darwinism rule the day!)

I'm going to go play outside, wish me luck. :lol:

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I agree. Most of the time it's the object in the middle that makes the location interesting. It might also be a Quadrivia, but that's another category we already have. I think that the number of roundabouts, which are interesting as a roundabout itself, is very small. One example might be http://motorblock.at/der-haerteste-kreisverkehr-der-welt/ (would fit in the Superlatives category ;)). But I'm openminded. If there are roundabouts that are interesting, post some examples.

Very interesting, thank you for providing it. Hope for more encouraged motorways with a little high-speed-factor :-))

P.S.: @ Owner: It was really for the solar-power on the bone-sake-area ;-)

5 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I'm going to go play outside, wish me luck. :lol:

I would, but first: Am I to wish you good luck or bad luck? I would lean toward the former, but you can never be sure with MP. :lol:

As for the traffic circles; in western North America they become more prevalent each year, as cities both expand and rebuild, often replacing traffic lights with traffic circles. We've come across dozens and dozens - they are in almost every city we've visited.

I remember the traffic circles in London, with the cool statues, and the really big, multi lane traffic circles in Rome, with the hot rodders racing around and around in their Fiat 500s, each one revved to about 10,000 RPM. There was, if I recall correctly, a fountain inside most of the larger traffic circles.

Again, nothing particularly interesting about the traffic circles except what was inside.

Keith

Now that you've reminded me, we've done one in a traffic circle, too, The Maypole Dance.

I can't think of them at the moment, but I'm pretty sure we've done more in traffic circles. Never once thought to take pix of the traffic circles themselves, though.

Speaking of "Never once thought to take pix of", we once went into a dump, AKA sanitation station, AKA transfer station, AKA landfill, to photograph the recycle dumpsters just inside the entrance. One of the employees wandered over and asked what on earth we found so interesting as to make us take pix of it. We replied that we were taking pix of the dumpsters, but didn't explain the "Waymarking" thing, as that can sometimes lead to a long and involved Q & A session. After hearing our reply he revealed that he was an amateur photographer who loved to take pix of everything and anything, BUT - never ONCE did it occur to him to take pix of a dumpster!

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

We like the idea to waymark roundabouts with interesting objects or nice flower bed very much. Long time before we enjoy Waymarking we post these in a panoramio group.

But since google stop this service we can't upload there anymore, examples of the former group you will find using this seach:

https://www.google.de/search?q=panoramio+roundabout&client=firefox-b&sa=X&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjA0MbN38DWAhWGuhQKHfNACksQsAQIJQ&biw=1366&bih=604

Meanwhile roundabouts are a main concept for traffic routing in germany and often there are announcements in the local area where artist can provide their ideas and the results are often great art. Of cause the object sometimes fit to other categorys as well, but crossposting is not evil. It is easy to take pictures of roundabouts in citys or villages while walking around there. But i took pictures from inside the car when Iris is at the steering wheel as well .

In our area there are a lot of art objects which are only created to take place in traffic roundabouts, otherwise they would not exist, not for a park or whatever.

When the catergory will take place in Waymarking we will support it !!

Harry

11 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I thought you meant traffic round-abouts, not the art contained inside them. Why not just use an existing art category?

Because all arts contained inside Round-about does not fit in a category, an example below, a wineyard lodge with wineyard in a huge round-about in a wine producers town
A lot of decorations inside round-about describes past or present activities of a town or an area.

logedevigne.jpg

1 hour ago, Alfouine said:

Because all arts contained inside Round-about does not fit in a category, an example below, a wineyard lodge with wineyard in a huge round-about in a wine producers town
A lot of decorations inside round-about describes past or present activities of a town or an area.

logedevigne.jpg

This could be waymarked in existing categories already, and is not art is it? An outhouse in a vineyard?

Manville Possum gave interesting hints to have another view,.... in huge countries with a lot of miles between the cities and villages there is no reason to use roundabouts in the way as they are used in countries with less miles between them .

In germany the amount of traffic circles has grown in the last 10 years by a multiple, there are very small ones and middle sized as well,...  cities and muncipalities overtrump each other to have the traffic circle with the most important art in it.
During last holiday in france we see the same thing there.

Traffic Circle Art is different from other existing art categories cause the requirement is another one. Objects must look good from all sides.

I think the first shot for the Category Name "Roundabout traffic / Kreisverkehre" was not good, "Kreisverkehre" is german, too national, Traffic Circle Art is a worlwide theme.

The second shot "Artistically Roundabout-Traffic" is not good as well, i think, cause it sounds that the traffic itself should be artistically, some kind of Wheely with a Motorcycle around the circle.

While typing here i use "Traffic Circle Art" but this didn't get the theme right as well, flower beds in the circles middle are not really art, but eyecatcher as well and so they should not be excluded.

Anyway, we will find a good name for this category, moving on,.....

I'm hunting Traffic Circle Objects since years, easy doing while walking around them, not easy to shot fotos while driving, a special challenge for co-driver, sunroof open, camera up, FastBurst on and go,... Or hold your cam out of the passenger window. Or use a cam filter to reduce window mirror effects and shot straight by cars windshield.

Harry

Look at the category "Gates of Distinction". They don't want waymarks of just every plain gate in the world, they want exception and artistic gates. Traffic circles could do something similar, not accepting every plain traffic circle, but open to circles with some special interest (is there a multi-level one somewhere?) I know of one circle in my area, not at all special. If the category accepted it, I would mark it to get the category filled, but would be looking for an exceptional one to mark in the future.(Like "Town clocks". I had an exceptional one I tried to waymark, but it was declined for not having optional information in the write-up. Yet, there are many crappy street clocks in the category that passed. I put in one of those crappy ones to fill, am looking for a good one now.)

Lately I heard about the "Dull Men's Club" and that "Roundabouting" is one of their hobbies. See http://www.dullmensclub.com/archive/roundabouting.htm, but even they archived the few postings they had. :-) Seriously spoken: Roundabouts without objects of some kind in the middle are boring and the number of roundabouts with interesting objects in the middle that can't be posted in other categories is very low. Just my humble opinion of course.

• Upvote 1

I would highly object to the idea of creating a category for Roundabouts because they are in themselves uninteresting, potentially dangerous as well as being commonplace in many parts of the world. The pictures that I've seen posted in this forum topic are of sculptures and other artistic subject matter that may be submitted into existing art categories. In essence, this potential category would be cross-Waymarking into existing categories without adding anything new, different or interesting. 

• Upvote 3

They're everywhere in Australia. Just to get off the highway I have to go through three. Six to get to Nowra. Most are simply functional but some have gardens in the middle, palms. One thing is common though - no one knows how to use them properly. Until Groundspeak banned moveables recently there was a cache which had to be hidden on roundabouts. The description was: Traffic Control No: 2 is alive. TC2 Mark II involves those things we love, but no-one knows how to use. Yep you guessed it!!! ROUNDABOUTS. 

I've never seen artistic roundabouts. Once you're in a roundabout the last thing you'd need is a distraction like a piece of art so the authorities have limited in-fill to gardens.    

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, thebeav69 said:

I would highly object to the idea of creating a category for Roundabouts because they are in themselves uninteresting, potentially dangerous as well as being commonplace in many parts of the world. The pictures that I've seen posted in this forum topic are of sculptures and other artistic subject matter that may be submitted into existing art categories. In essence, this potential category would be cross-Waymarking into existing categories without adding anything new, different or interesting. 

Yup. I think these roundabouts are not only uninteresting, but are redundant for Waymarking purposes. Now, would I like to see such things in roundabouts? Yes of course. But I would not like to waymark them as roundabouts. 

Everything inside of the photos that I have seen can be waymarked in other categories. 

8 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

This could be waymarked in existing categories already, and is not art is it? An outhouse in a vineyard?

Big big big mistake, it's not an outhouse, it's a lodge where you could stay by night when you were busy in your wineyard

I could find a lot a examples where it will not be possible to waymark in existing categories, i repeat but "A lot of decorations inside round-about describes past or present activities of a town or an area."

Edited by Alfouine
9 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Big big big mistake, it's not an outhouse, it's a lodge where you could stay by night when you were busy in your wineyard

I could find a lot a examples where it will not be possible to waymark in existing categories, i repeat but "A lot of decorations inside round-about describes past or present activities of a town or an area."

It's a out building in a vineyard, no mistake on my part. Was it and the vineyard placed in the round-about as a work of art, or is it actually functional.

I Drive-By Waymarked 5 traffic circles in Kingsport, Tennessee today. All have a listed Waymark of public art except one, and it is under construction.

My point is these traffic circles can be and some already are Waymarked in existing categories, and another new art category is not needed to Waymark them.

Here are my examples of 5 different traffic circles within 1 mile radius, and there are more like them. Maybe this idea is not global, but our examples look the same to me except the building in the vineyard. I'm guessing it is of actual use and not just there for display?

roundabout.jpg

roundabout1.jpg

roundabout2.jpg

roundabout3.jpg

roundabout4.jpg

Edited by Manville Possum

Practically Waymarking problems as usual ...

Qustions are: Is a trainstation needable, when a town-clock waymark exists at that place. Is a post office waymark needable, when there is already a red telephone box there (and so on...)

Well, I think: this doesn`t matter at all. It is conformed in our worldwide game (Evolution of Waymarking) :rolleyes:

Your

*SportBaer*

There is a name for this kind of art in germany: "Kreiselkunst".

( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunst_im_Kreisverkehr )

I found two german websites where this roundabout art is collected and dokumented.

Pictures are welcome there:

https://www.kunstimkreisverkehr.de/
http://www.kreiselkunst.com/

One difference between the existing categories and this one is that most of the objects in roundabouts are particular planned and constructed for the roundabout where they are located. I assume that this is the case for Manville Possum's pictures 1,2 and 5.

So i would say the objects are primarily "Kreiselkunst" ( Roundabout Art ) and maybe fit to existing categories as well.

Harry

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Iris & Harry said:

One difference between the existing categories and this one is that most of the objects in roundabouts are .... constructed for the roundabout where they are located.

It exactly what i think but i was not able to write it in english, and there is the link with the location and objects.

I found few examples of rond-about that not fin in any categories.

Rond-point-Issoire.jpg

rp1.jpg

rp2.jpg

rp3.jpg

rp4.jpg

rp5.jpg

19 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

1. Realistic Object Sculptures

2. Possibly Birdhouses

3. ??? - Fleurs

4. Abstract Sculptures - Actually it looks like a warning buoy.

5. Lookout Towers

6. Truss Bridges, possibly Arch Bridges

Keith

I do not understand, it was not a puzzle, how can you compare a Lookout tower with a fishing hut ? It's not very serious....

9 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Why is there a fishing hut in the middle of a roundabout?

And that is exactly the reason why is it an excellent idea, i repeat for the third times "A lot of decorations inside round-about describe past or present activities of a town or an area."

In this town you have a lot of fishing hut in the sea sides, that is part of the identity of the town, and when you arrive in town you know immediatly what characterizes the town.

Almost all round-about decorations are contextual

13 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I do not understand, it was not a puzzle, how can you compare a Lookout tower with a fishing hut ? It's not very serious....

I'm guessing that if you were to submit that "Fishing Hut" to "Look-Out Towers" it would be accepted, though.

Anyhow, it's time someone wrote up a proposal for this thing. I don't care one way or the other whether it becomes a category. If it does we'll doubtless be able to find one or three, and if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Keith

I am still not convinced, not at all.

Plain roundabouts are boring and most of the objects used as roundabout decorations already have a category. So we are left with a certain number that could be great waymarks, but I don't think there is any sensible way to divide them from the boring ones.

I am not in favor of a subjective category as the "Unique ..." ones we already have. You'd be surprised, how low the expectations can sink when it's about some posting statistics, and sooner or later the officers will have no chance than surrender to this downward trend. Not anything must be waymarkable.

BTW: I do like the fishing hut. It is very similar to the riverside ones around here, called "Gallows" or "Bears" (no idea why). They cost a fortune, because they traditionally are often located outside of the current legal building zones. But probably not prevalent enough for an own category.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, fi67 said:

I am still not convinced, not at all.

Plain roundabouts are boring and most of the objects used as roundabout decorations already have a category. So we are left with a certain number that could be great waymarks, but I don't think there is any sensible way to divide them from the boring ones.

I am not in favor of a subjective category as the "Unique ..." ones we already have. You'd be surprised, how low the expectations can sink when it's about some posting statistics, and sooner or later the officers will have no chance than surrender to this downward trend. Not anything must be waymarkable.

BTW: I do like the fishing hut. It is very similar to the riverside ones around here, called "Gallows" or "Bears" (no idea why). They cost a fortune, because they traditionally are often located outside of the current legal building zones. But probably not prevalent enough for an own category.

I agree 100%. I'm not very enthusiastic, if I imagine me checking roundabout after roundabout and saying "Oh, this one is an Abstract Public Sculpture", "No, this Locomotive doesn't qualify", "A Landlocked Boat? Oh well..." etc. and I admit that IF I ever find a roundabout with something displayed in the middle that doesn't fit in any other category, I would probably post that waymark (boring or not) and forget about that category from thereon.

8 hours ago, Alfouine said:

And that is exactly the reason why is it an excellent idea, i repeat for the third times "A lot of decorations inside round-about describe past or present activities of a town or an area."

In this town you have a lot of fishing hut in the sea sides, that is part of the identity of the town, and when you arrive in town you know immediatly what characterizes the town.

Almost all round-about decorations are contextual

It's still abstract public art, and it has it's own category already. I will not support another category to cross post the same WM. I'm done here.

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

It's still abstract public art, and it has it's own category already. I will not support another category to cross post the same WM. I'm done here.

And we are lucky that you are no more a nay-sayer...

90% of my examples are not abstract...

The main problem is everybody take an example and try to find the category where it can fit, and invent a category if necessary, art in a round-about is a global art and the main post is this one

21 hours ago, Iris & Harry said:

There is a name for this kind of art in germany: "Kreiselkunst".

( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunst_im_Kreisverkehr )

I found two german websites where this roundabout art is collected and dokumented.

Pictures are welcome there:

https://www.kunstimkreisverkehr.de/
http://www.kreiselkunst.com/

One difference between the existing categories and this one is that most of the objects in roundabouts are particular planned and constructed for the roundabout where they are located. I assume that this is the case for Manville Possum's pictures 1,2 and 5.

So i would say the objects are primarily "Kreiselkunst" ( Roundabout Art ) and maybe fit to existing categories as well.

Harry

The main purpose of a lot of round-about in France is "how to express the economic or artistic context of a city in a roundabout with an art expression ?"

May be we could focus only with this kind of round-about, i have to discuss about this with other officers.

I would vote yea for this category, regardless what is inside. Most roundabouts are artistic in nature. The ones in my area aren't other than a tree in the middle, but still I think it would be interesting to see all the different variations of roundabouts globally.