How to transfer coord to garmin?

brianapp

In the cache detail box it gives an option to transfer to gps.  On the garmin tab it then says it needs garmin communicator plugin on both edge and firefox.  Garmin seems to have stopped support several years ago for their plugin.  The gamin page says it only works with an old version of explorer, not edge, and not firefox either.  This used to work fine years ago but now they don't support it any more.  They want you to use their programs instead of a web interface to interact with their GPSs.

Is there any other way to easily transfer the GPS coords to a garmin GPS other than just writing them down and then typinng each number into the GPS?

If not why is there still a tab to transfer to a garmin.  I guess it still might work for a few people who don't update.

Edited by brianapp
12 minutes ago, brianapp said:

I guess it still might work for a few people who don't update.

That's the reason it's still available, for people who can still use it.

One easy way for a paid user to load just a cache or two, for most Garmin GPSrs, is to use the "GPX File" button on a cache page (NOT "Send To My GPS", the other one), and save the file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPSr.

Or use Pocket Queries to load a whole townful at once.  As cerberus1 mentioned, there's a new feature just for Garmins "Send To Garmin", if you set up lists, and have Garmin Express installed.

Edited by kunarion

So far the new way seems to be to use lists.  Save a cache to a list.  On the list page you can then download each one individually to the garmin through their supported garmin express software.  In a future update they should change their -send to gps -  garmin tab to go link to the garmin express software which will work instead of an unsupported plugin, communicator, which probably won't work.

Going through the garmin express software seems to be the current way to talk to a garmin gps.

Do you use both gpx files it generates?  Do you use garmin express or just a file copy to transfer it?  I haven't transferred it yet but it looks like it copies all of the data on the caches it returns.  It looks like it would give me an offline version on my garmin of the web site data which would be cool.

53 minutes ago, brianapp said:

Do you use both gpx files it generates?  Do you use garmin express or just a file copy to transfer it?  I haven't transferred it yet but it looks like it copies all of the data on the caches it returns.  It looks like it would give me an offline version on my garmin of the web site data which would be cool.

For a Pocket Query, you download a Zip file that contains two GPX files.  One file is caches, the other has waypoints for things like parking and cache stages.  Place GPX files into the Garmin/GPX folder.  It's super easy to transfer the files.  This allows you to delete obsolete files while you're at it.  And this process works both today and tomorrow. It sure beats trying to keep a failing "plugin" alive. :anicute:

If you generate a PQ of 1000 caches of your caching area, you have a decent database for offline caching.  Plus you can still load more.

Edited by kunarion