BUG: Forum software putting posts out of order

hzoi

I think this happens when the forum page updates without reloading.  Such as, it shows a notification, "kunarion has replied...", and you click Show.

The timestamps on the earlier posts aren't updated in that case, even though time has passed while you've had the page open.

EDIT: Oh I see what you're talking about now, over in the Slightly Off thread.  Never mind!

Edited by Viajero Perdido
15 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I think this happens when the forum page updates without reloading.  Such as, it shows a notification, "kunarion has replied...", and you click Show.

The timestamps on the earlier posts aren't updated in that case, even though time has passed while you've had the page open.

EDIT: Oh I see what you're talking about now, over in the Slightly Off thread.  Never mind!

Maybe it's a combination of things.  But I've never noticed this effect til today.

Maybe there are multiple servers, and their clocks are not synchronized. Depending on which server handles a particular post, the timestamp of the post could vary by several minutes. Then the posts are displayed in order of their timestamps, which does not match the order in which they were posted.

It's just a guess, but I've seen out-of-sync clocks cause similar effects.

22 hours ago, niraD said:

Maybe there are multiple servers, and their clocks are not synchronized. Depending on which server handles a particular post, the timestamp of the post could vary by several minutes. Then the posts are displayed in order of their timestamps, which does not match the order in which they were posted.

It's just a guess, but I've seen out-of-sync clocks cause similar effects.

I guess so.  But the glitch manifests itself in a weird way.  I make a post, it's shown in its correct place, and I can even refresh, all is well, say for about 20 seconds total.  Yet when the post is permanently set in place, when the glitch occurs, my reply is sorted before the post to which I replied.  It's been so intermittent, I've never paid attention to the time stamp to see how it changes.  Anyway, the original post's timestamp is always right, within the reply that the server thinks occurred "before the original post".

Come to think of it, the issue may even be related to the several ways the system handles posts.  See this, where the system seems to arbitrarily show a post in "minutes ago", or today's date without minutes, or "just now".  Also it shows some with date and time, but in a yet another date format.  I was guessing it was merely a goofy display decision and that the server can keep all of that straight.  Turns out, it can't. B)

Edited by kunarion

I watched this effect occur just now in another thread.  I replied to the most recent post, and after submitting it, all seemed well for a moment.  The post was there, followed by my reply.  Then the post appeared in view, yet I had not refreshed the page.  It came into view below my reply.  At this point there was the post, my reply, and the post again.  Upon page refresh, the post was below my reply, just that one, looking as if I had replied before the post to which I was replying.

This is in IE11.  Various things pop up or appear in real time, in this Forum.

Post scrambling seems to happen when replying to a post that was submitted just moments before the reply.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I watched this effect occur just now in another thread.  I replied to the most recent post, and after submitting it, all seemed well for a moment.  The post was there, followed by my reply.  Then the post appeared in view, yet I had not refreshed the page.  It came into view below my reply.  At this point there was the post, my reply, and the post again.  Upon page refresh, the post was below my reply, just that one, looking as if I had replied before the post to which I was replying.

This is in IE11.  Various things pop up or appear in real time, in this Forum.

Post scrambling seems to happen when replying to a post that was submitted just moments before the reply.

Seen the same thing in Firefox.