Search not working properly?

Searching for a location is nigh on impossible. Once searched it brings up random waymarks from all around the globe. This is deffo a poor mans page. I have to do a co-ordinate search to get anywhere. To do that i find a cache on geocaching.com and take a set of co-ords from a random cache in the area i want to visit and put these in the co-ordinate search box. Thats the only way it'll work for me. Long winded and not really user friendly. Come WM, get your finger out and sort these probs out, or are you just winding this feature down ?

12 hours ago, dave-harris said:

To do that i find a cache on geocaching.com and take a set of co-ords from a random cache...

When you open the listing of that geocache, you will find a link to "all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com". That is much easier than copying the coordinates to use them in a search on Waymarking.com.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 4/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, vulture1957 said:

did anyone else notice the search function is now working??

I tried after reading your post and it did not work for us.

Just tried it again a few minutes ago and still not working. 

I just get three waymarks with the identical coordinates: 00° 00.000 000° 00.000

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

I tried after reading your post and it did not work for us.

Just tried it again a few minutes ago and still not working. 

I just get three waymarks with the identical coordinates: 00° 00.000 000° 00.000

I just went and re-checked. Just to make sure I wasn't pulling up something from computer cache, I kind of randomly chose Measurement Standards and put in my local zip code. It came up with Benchmarks 8, 8.8, 11, 13.5 miles away; and listed 139 waymarks on 6 pages.

I guess I'm holding my mouth right.  ?

21 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

put in my local zip code.

Okay if I use a USA zip code it works. If I use the coordinates it only brings up the same three waymarks as above. 

If I use a Canada Postal Code it does not work. Results were for North Carolina, not even close to where i was searching.

Keep holding that mouth right... :laughing:

What exactly are we talking about here? I tried the following situations:

1. I start at www.Waymarking.com and click on the link "additional search options". Then I click on "coordinate search" and enter the coordinates I want to start from. That works.
  2. I start at www.Waymarking.com and enter the coordinates in the "near" field, following the pattern [lat:xx.xx,lon:yy.yy] where xx.xx is the N coordinate and yy.yy the E coordinate (add a "-" for South and West coordinates). That works also.
  3. I start at www.Waymarking.com and click on the link "additional search options". I then click on "manage my saved searches", enter name and coordinates of a location I plan to use more than once and save it. Go back to www.Waymarking.com, click on "additional search options", choose one of my saved searches (or I could just write [zzzzz] where zzzzz is the name of my saved search) and that works also.

ZIP-codes from Austria never have or will ever work.

Entering the name of a town in the "near" field, doesn't work either. Instead I enter the town's name in the "Search for" field, if that makes sense in the actual situation. For example, if you enter "Excalibur" in the Search field and "Las Vegas" in the 'near' field, you won't find anything, but if you search for "Excalibur las vegas" you will get some good results.

So, if I missed any special search situations that don't work, please give me the details.

Edited by PISA-caching
On 4/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, PISA-caching said:

I start at www.Waymarking.com and enter the coordinates in the "near" field, following the pattern [lat:xx.xx,lon:yy.yy] where xx.xx is the N coordinate and yy.yy the E coordinate (add a "-" for South and West coordinates). That works also.

This is the one I've been using ever since XX.YYYYY -XXX.YYYYY alone quit working. I have never EVER had any trouble with this method {[lat:xx.xx,lon:yy.yy]) and have recommended it more than once on these forums.

I've never tried "saved searches" as it seems I seldom do an actual repeat of a previous search. I've discovered it usually to be more efficacious to search on keywords in "My Waymarks" for a WM near, or at, the place I want to go.

Keith

if I am going to Biloxi, Mississippi, it is easier to just query Biloxi, MS than going to a mapping program, find the lat & long, write it down, then go to Waymarking.com and then put those coords into search. It used to work.  Now, it's hit or miss. Zip Code works most of the time. (But I do have to go somewhere to find the zip code.)

On 4/26/2019 at 5:38 AM, vulture1957 said:

if I am going to Biloxi, Mississippi, it is easier to just query Biloxi, MS than going to a mapping program, find the lat & long, write it down, then go to Waymarking.com and then put those coords into search. It used to work.  Now, it's hit or miss. Zip Code works most of the time. (But I do have to go somewhere to find the zip code.)

Yes, I realize it's easier, but it's still useless if it doesn't work. This is why I gave up even trying years ago and only use the cords method. Of course, I've gotten used to the circuitous method, so it no longer seems a chore. Mebbe someday Groundspeak will surprise us all and fix a few things. Hope Springs Eternal!  :)

Keith

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

(...) Mebbe someday Groundspeak will surprise us all and fix a few things. Hope Springs Eternal!  :)

Keith

I wouldn't hold my breath with the current issues with the map on the geocaching side but we may never know they talked about an update to the Waymarking site later this year during a podcast done earlier this year.

14 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

I wouldn't hold my breath with the current issues with the map on the geocaching side but we may never know they talked about an update to the Waymarking site later this year during a podcast done earlier this year.

True - but I'm still (probably naively) holding my breath waiting for the results. :(

Keith