Import .img to garmin

davesmith639

I used to hassle with the Garmin map software to add in maps, but I have since discovered this isn't necessary, at least for the Montana.  The last time I added a Garmin OSM map to my Montana 610, I just downloaded the .img file and added it to the folder where the other .img map files are stored.  When I started the GPSr up the next time, it loaded the map, no issues.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, StefandD said:

Which type of Garmin do you own? What map did you download?

This info is needed if you want help.

Hi Stefan,

Garmin Etrex20, I downloaded topographic maps of Aus & NZ labelled gmapsupp.img from a third party (i.e. not garmin website). After reading forums i believed i could just put them on an sd card and plug in but it won't authenticate the map. It does however run in basecamp perfectly fine. 

Cheers

21 hours ago, davesmith639 said:

Hi Stefan,

Garmin Etrex20, I downloaded topographic maps of Aus & NZ labelled gmapsupp.img from a third party (i.e. not garmin website). After reading forums i believed i could just put them on an sd card and plug in but it won't authenticate the map. It does however run in basecamp perfectly fine. 

Cheers

It still isn't clear what maps you've installed. If you can tell us where you got them from, we might be able to help more.

As for the authentication message, that usually means that the maps you're trying to use have been locked to work with a different device. Are these official Garmin maps that you're trying to use? If so, and you've downloaded a copy of someone else's maps, it won't work. Those maps are forever locked to only work with that other person's device.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, davesmith639 said:

[...] After reading forums i believed i could just put them on an sd card and plug in[...]

That's right. But you must put them inside a folder named "Garmin". Create such a folder, put the .img inside, restart the unit and GO.

Hans