Garmin Topo 24k West

Mystery Ink

Just moved back to Oregon and purchased a new 64ST.  Want to load up with most current topo maps for the northwest as I enjoy getting off the pavement and doing some 4x4 runs.  The maps for $99 don't indicate when last updated, and much has changed since I moved away in 1976.

I went to the Open source site, but not sure if that includes topo or not.  In the bay area, we had a library of scanned maps that were loadable for many of the parks, and off road areas. 

Need to learn my resources for here now.

I live just east of Salem

Thanks for any assistance

Jim

Mystery Ink

Topography doesn't change much, except when major geological events occur (IE, a 1976 map for hiking Mt. St. Helens would be useless). 

Garmin's maps are fairly up to date, so you'd be fine using them. However I don't think that Garmin's maps have any 4x4 trails, just some logging roads which may not be up to date in some areas.

Honestly, if you just want a map, but don't need routing along roads and trails, use Moun10Bike's Northwest Topos map. It's free and superb and better than you'll get with Garmin's maps at $99 a state. Sure his last update is 3 years old, but that really won't impact you in the national forests, just in some of the newer housing developments on the outskirts of town.

For a routable map, use OpenStreetMap, or one of the many variants utilizing the OSM data. Suffice to say these two products, when used in tandem, are probably more valuable than Garmin's  expensive 24k maps.

You can also find more maps over at https://www.gpsfiledepot.com.