Newly Adopted Cache

WhiteOwl820

9 minutes ago, WhiteOwl820 said:

Logging out and back did not fix it.  It is GCR08M.  Would anyone care to check to see what you see when you view the listing? 

Coffee !!   Three people need coffee !!     :omnomnom:     

My "duh"  was agreeing with Manville Possum that it's just an edit on your cache page.  :)

Cool cache too by the way.

Edited by cerberus1
coffeeless drag...
4 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

My "duh"  was agreeing with Manville Possum that it's just an edit on your cache page.  :)

I agree, 100% Arabica bean. I just finished a cup of dark roast. :D  Some people edit the transfer to reflect the new ownership. I noticed yesterday that one of my adopted caches still had the other geocachers info, and is not their actual user name. :ph34r:

Hi, when you adopt a Geocache, the name displayed as "owner" will be the name of the previous owner, but you can change it. 

In fact, when you adopt the cache, you can edit the "hidden by.." Section in the edit menu of the cache, where you can delete the name of the previous owner and write your own name.

16 minutes ago, simoktm said:

Hi, when you adopt a Geocache, the name displayed as "owner" will be the name of the previous owner, but you can change it. 

In fact, when you adopt the cache, you can edit the "hidden by.." Section in the edit menu of the cache, where you can delete the name of the previous owner and write your own name.

thank you! 

15 hours ago, Manville Possum said:
16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I agree, 100% Arabica bean. I just finished a cup of dark roast. :D  Some people edit the transfer to reflect the new ownership. I noticed yesterday that one of my adopted caches still had the other geocachers info, and is not their actual user name. :ph34r:

I adopted a handful of caches a short time after I started when a popular local geocacher left the area.  I edited the "Placed By" field to give credit for the hide/puzzle for all of them but see that only one is still active.  

Working on a cup of fresh ground Costa Rica Tarrazu and will have a second cup before I head off to work.  I drove through the area where the beans are grown a couple of years ago but fortunately our local Wegman's (a chain grocery store in the Northeast) carries it and it's pretty much become our every day brew.  The local Wegmans also has it's own roasting equipment and once can stop and pick out some green beans and have them roasted while doing the rest of your shopping.  

On 9/15/2017 at 6:43 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Working on a cup of fresh ground Costa Rica Tarrazu and will have a second cup before I head off to work.  I drove through the area where the beans are grown a couple of years ago but fortunately our local Wegman's (a chain grocery store in the Northeast) carries it and it's pretty much become our every day brew.  The local Wegmans also has it's own roasting equipment and once can stop and pick out some green beans and have them roasted while doing the rest of your shopping.  

We are coffee snobs, and only drink local JFG. :D

On 9/21/2017 at 4:45 PM, Manville Possum said:
On 9/15/2017 at 6:43 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

We are coffee snobs, and only drink local JFG. :D

I had never heard of JFG coffee so had to look it up.  As far as I can tell, it's a store brand associated with a coffee roasting company in New Orleans.  IMHO, there's nothing "local" about where coffee is roasted.  Whether it's New Orleans, Seattle, or some place in the Northeast they all have access to the same equipment and the location of the roast has little to do with what ends up in my coffee cup (today it's  something called Finca Aurora Xolhuitz Guatemala).  To me, the difference comes from where the beans are grown, how their processed and local techniques in how it's brewed.  

In an attempt to keep this related to geocaching, I was looking at my finds in Costa Rica and noticed that for all of them I had driven through areas with a lot of coffee plantations.

If you want to see *real* coffee snobs, go to Ethiopia,which is where it originated (allegedly by a goat herder named Kaldi  noticed it's effects after some of his goats ate the beans).  In Ethiopia, people don't just drink coffee.  There's an entire ceremony around it.  Today, the Harar region in the eastern highlands is where much of the Ethiopian coffee is grown.  There's one earth cache about 35 miles from Harar and the next closest caches are over 125 miles away.   I work on a project which involves a system that's been installed at nearby Harayama university and we've worked with them for many years.  Although I've been to Ethiopia three times I haven't visited that part of the country.   There's a chain of coffee shops in Addis Ababa called, Kaldi's. They actually look a bit like a Starbucks and the logo is strikingly similar.  I've missed out on a couple of opportunities for geocaching events in Addis (I was enroute on a plane both times) but if I go back I'm going submit a geocaching event just to meet, one of the few active geocachers in the country.  I'd most likely do it at one of the Kaldi's shops.

58 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I had never heard of JFG coffee so had to look it up.  As far as I can tell, it's a store brand associated with a coffee roasting company in New Orleans.  IMHO, there's nothing "local" about where coffee is roasted.  Whether it's New Orleans, Seattle, or some place in the Northeast they all have access to the same equipment and the location of the roast has little to do with what ends up in my coffee cup (today it's  something called Finca Aurora Xolhuitz Guatemala).  To me, the difference comes from where the beans are grown, how their processed and local techniques in how it's brewed.  

In an attempt to keep this related to geocaching, I was looking at my finds in Costa Rica and noticed that for all of them I had driven through areas with a lot of coffee plantations.

If you want to see *real* coffee snobs, go to Ethiopia,which is where it originated (allegedly by a goat herder named Kaldi  noticed it's effects after some of his goats ate the beans).  In Ethiopia, people don't just drink coffee.  There's an entire ceremony around it.  Today, the Harar region in the eastern highlands is where much of the Ethiopian coffee is grown.  There's one earth cache about 35 miles from Harar and the next closest caches are over 125 miles away.   I work on a project which involves a system that's been installed at nearby Harayama university and we've worked with them for many years.  Although I've been to Ethiopia three times I haven't visited that part of the country.   There's a chain of coffee shops in Addis Ababa called, Kaldi's. They actually look a bit like a Starbucks and the logo is strikingly similar.  I've missed out on a couple of opportunities for geocaching events in Addis (I was enroute on a plane both times) but if I go back I'm going submit a geocaching event just to meet, one of the few active geocachers in the country.  I'd most likely do it at one of the Kaldi's shops.

JFG coffee and Moon Pies are a East Tennessee tradition. Be sure to see rock city if you get a chance.B)

59 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

JFG coffee and Moon Pies are a East Tennessee tradition. Be sure to see rock city if you get a chance.B)

I haven't been to Rock City but I have been the Chatanooga (before I started Geocaching).  I did a bit of geocaching in Pigeon Forge a few years ago and visited my mother-n-father in law a couple of times when they lived in Johnson City. I've spent more time in Northeast, Tennessee than south east, TN.  

Here's a cache I want to find if I get the chance to go back to Addis Ababa: Best Coffee

45 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I haven't been to Rock City but I have been the Chatanooga (before I started Geocaching).  I did a bit of geocaching in Pigeon Forge a few years ago and visited my mother-n-father in law a couple of times when they lived in Johnson City. I've spent more time in Northeast, Tennessee than south east, TN.  

Here's a cache I want to find if I get the chance to go back to Addis Ababa: Best Coffee

Small world isn't it? I'm on my way to a Coffee House in Johnson City and then do some geocaching in the area. Here is another local favorite. I once found a geocache here, Stake at a BBQ place was the name.