New Category Idea: Doves of peace (Friedenstauben)

Hello everybody,

when I was once again looking for new waymarks, the Friedenskirche in Weissenthurm caught my eye. There the symbol of a peace dove (German: Friedenstaube) was placed on the outer facade.
It occurred to me that this symbol, or what is connected with it, is becoming more and more important for the majority of mankind and perhaps a category of its own. Not only are there wars, violence and threats between countries in this world. Even in the street where you live, the neighbors are often in conflict with each other. Thus the desire for world peace is getting bigger and more precisely the symbol of the peace dove.

In addition to the CND symbol, the rainbow, the Olympic fire or for example the Victory sign, the symbol of the peace dove belongs to the peace signs and is intended to express the desire and the demand for international understanding and peace.

The dove also plays a role in the Bible. In the story of the Flood, a dove, oozing from Noah, returned with a fresh olive branch from her journey to the ark. The Flood narrative explains God's declaration of war to men and creation, since the earth is full of violence. The return of the dove with the olive branch is therefore interpreted as peace.

For the designed silhouette of a dove, Pablo Picasso received the World Peace Prize in 1955. This was the occasion for the peace dove as a global symbol of peace and peace movement.

In my opinion this category would be global and the possible waymarks would not be overprevalent.

The symbol of the peace dove is also found as a painting page in the educational area, it is used as a motif by doing things with hands and is also a motif of tattoos.

I have also found the peace dove in various categories such as "Figurative Public Sculpture", "Unique Weathervanes", "Roadsite Attractions" or "Mosaics", but there has not been a category that reflects the real meaning of this symbol.

Acceptable could be monuments, sculptures, reliefs, stamps, paintings, mosaics, grafitti (
Without claim of completeness).

Perhaps this category would also help to make our present world a little bit better and more peaceful.

These were my thoughts and information for this new category and I expect your answers and opinions. 
:rolleyes:

Best regards! :)

20170913_072905.jpg

20160811_100641 (2016 x 1512).jpg

P1050622 (1728 x 2304).jpg

2017-09-14_130019.jpg

I love the motivation of this topic. It's hopeful and very very kind. Such a category would be global for sure :) 

My Waymarking opinion though is that the stand-alone doves of peace are already able to be waymarked in existing categories such as Relief Art Displays, Peace Memorials, Stained Glass Windows and Figurative Public Sculptures.

Since every dove of peace can be waymarked already in those categories, I think a stand-alone category has a redundancy issue. 

Doves of peace can be found on or in almost every church in the world - sometimes in multiple iterations.  To my mind, this makes the category overprevalent. 

Just my 2c

• Upvote 2

Good thought PISA-caching! The peace dove with olive branch is the one with the biblical background. At the Friedenskirche in Weißenthurm, this olive branch was abandoned, but the connection can easily be derived from the name of the church. If the olive branch is missing then an identification as a dove of peace could perhaps take place in another way: either through the place (in this case the church). Or by a reference (information sign in the place where the dove is found or in the net)

@ Benchmark Blasterz: Thanks for your answer. I had mentioned that I had found the peace doves already in other categories in the search. However as mentioned above in no own category with the occasion of its importance. In our churches I have not seen many pictures of the peace dove and the churches are not very close together. However, it could also be cleared here with a distance rule, if desired.

46 minutes ago, kaschper69 said:

Good thought PISA-caching! The peace dove with olive branch is the one with the biblical background. At the Friedenskirche in Weißenthurm, this olive branch was abandoned, but the connection can easily be derived from the name of the church. If the olive branch is missing then an identification as a dove of peace could perhaps take place in another way: either through the place (in this case the church). Or by a reference (information sign in the place where the dove is found or in the net)

@ Benchmark Blasterz: Thanks for your answer. I had mentioned that I had found the peace doves already in other categories in the search. However as mentioned above in no own category with the occasion of its importance. In our churches I have not seen many pictures of the peace dove and the churches are not very close together. However, it could also be cleared here with a distance rule, if desired.

I am not in favor of imposing arbitrary and exclusionary distance rules to cure overprevalence issues. 

First of all: Distance rules are always bad from my point of view. If one waymark is already listed, why pass on another (maybe much better) waymark, just because it is too close to the other?

If we talk about the category idea in general: I think that most doves of peace will be part of something bigger. Either a peace memorial or a mosaic or a mural or... It will be a mix of various things and I personally wouldn't be interested in that kind of collection. In BK-Hunters example I would rather want to learn something about the cultural centre than to go there and take a picture of that dove of peace. Besides, what should we write in the long description of such a waymark? @ BK-Hunters: How much Information can you give us about this dove of peace? The size, the color, the material,...? Most of them will have no hi(story) to tell.

For the same reason I'm also not too enthusiastic about the hourglasses and some other categories, but if you find enough proponents, I wouldn't vote against it.

31 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

First of all: Distance rules are always bad from my point of view. If one waymark is already listed, why pass on another (maybe much better) waymark, just because it is too close to the other?

If we talk about the category idea in general: I think that most doves of peace will be part of something bigger. Either a peace memorial or a mosaic or a mural or... It will be a mix of various things and I personally wouldn't be interested in that kind of collection. In BK-Hunters example I would rather want to learn something about the cultural centre than to go there and take a picture of that dove of peace. Besides, what should we write in the long description of such a waymark? @ BK-Hunters: How much Information can you give us about this dove of peace? The size, the color, the material,...? Most of them will have no hi(story) to tell.

For the same reason I'm also not too enthusiastic about the hourglasses and some other categories, but if you find enough proponents, I wouldn't vote against it.

Agree, in the example, we could provide extensive information about the Doukhobor  history, culture and the Culture Center.. That said, it is agreed that this falls into the same situation as the Hourglass category. The items such as "Doves of Peace" "Hourglasses" and many others create endless possibilities. Where so we draw the line?

As an added note: we often see numerous category proposals that are workable ideas that lost traction and are never heard of again.

There is also an officially sign which shows a white dove on a blue background.

1200px-Friedenstaube_weiss_blau_kreis.sv

I think is is possible to decide what is a dove of peace and what is a single dove. There must also a picture which shows the whole "scene". What is meant with the dove.
The idea to find a symbol of peace makes sence, makes more sence than to find symbols of comics, like other waymarks.

On 15.9.2017 at 4:28 PM, PISA-caching said:

I also do not like distance rules, because for me, the objects of the individual categories are all equivalent. Whether it is 2 or 10 in a certain radius. For this purpose other areas are completely excluded in certain categories.

When we talk about the fact that the doves are usually part of a something bigger, I agree with you, for example, in the already mentioned churches. But there are so many categories that are also available in the churches (Town clocks, Belltowers, Signs of History, Doorways of the World, Trigonometric Points, etc.) and have also made it into an independent category.

The dove of peace in general already has a story to tell. It is regarded as a symbol of peace, and thus stands for people's desire for peace and a friendly coexistence without war or violence. And that is something important for me. What, for example, has the category "Pikachu Sightings" for a special background?

3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Remember that Pikachu sightings is from the early days of Waymarking. Such a category I think would not pass today. 

That is your opinion and most likely correct. But Pikachu sightings is one of the only few categories that I and interested in as Waymarking as an whole.

I had an idea about Waymarking Pokemon stops and the thread here got locked because Pokemon GO was a hot item and Groundspeak must have felt threatened by it. It was only a fad for the summer.

I'm all for new category ideas, but this same old "this won't work" gets old. I say create a group and proceed to peer review. You have my support.

On ‎17‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 10:39 AM, kaschper69 said:

I also do not like distance rules, because for me, the objects of the individual categories are all equivalent. Whether it is 2 or 10 in a certain radius. For this purpose other areas are completely excluded in certain categories.

When we talk about the fact that the doves are usually part of a something bigger, I agree with you, for example, in the already mentioned churches. But there are so many categories that are also available in the churches (Town clocks, Belltowers, Signs of History, Doorways of the World, Trigonometric Points, etc.) and have also made it into an independent category.

The dove of peace in general already has a story to tell. It is regarded as a symbol of peace, and thus stands for people's desire for peace and a friendly coexistence without war or violence. And that is something important for me. What, for example, has the category "Pikachu Sightings" for a special background?

You're right, details of churches can add to several different categories. BUT, I can imagine that there are people who are interested in clocks of all kinds, I can also imagine people who love the sound of bells and people who are interested in history etc. But I don't think that many people will look for doves of peace. I think, people who like the idea of peace would rather look for Peace Poles and Peace Memorials and not a single, small dove of peace in a mosaic on a church. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

• Upvote 1
Description:
The dove is considered as a symbol of peace. This has, on the one hand, a religious background, but on the other hand also a great importance to the peace movements in the world.
Expanded Description:
In today's world, in which more and more violence and war are prevailing on our planet, the desire for more world peace is becoming even greater. 

The peace dove is therefore a sign. 

In addition to the CND symbol, the rainbow, the Olympic fire or for example the Victory sign, the symbol of the peace dove belongs to the peace signs and is intended to express the desire and the demand for international understanding and peace. 

The dove also plays an important role in the Bible. In the story of the Flood, a dove, coming from Noah, returned with a fresh olive branch from her journey to the ark. The Flood narrative explains God's declaration of war on men and creation, since the earth is full of violence. The return of the dove with the olive branch is therefore interpreted as a Symbol of peace. (Gen 8,11 EU) 

For the designed silhouette of a dove, Pablo Picasso received the World Peace Prize in 1955. This was signifier of the peace dove being a global symbol of peace and the peace movement. 

As furhter evidence that the peace dove is also a worldwide symbol of peace, you can Access the following link. Hereare 88 examples distributed across the globe. 

What we are looking for: 

- Peace doves with olive branches, because they represent the essence of peace. 

- Doves related to peace movements (white dove on blue background) 

- Doves (without olive branches), but the aspect of peace is demonstrable. (for example, a white dove at a church that has the name "Peace Church"), or by means of documentation on the spot or by means of proof in the network. 

The images of the peace doves must be permanent and in fixed locations (buildings, monuments, firmly anchored signs, etc.), so stamps with the symbol of the peace dove would be eliminated. White wedding doves are also not allowed. 

Only one dove of peace is allowed per object (building, monument, shield, etc.), since in churches, for example, an increased representation of these doves can occur. 

Instructions for Posting a Doves of peace Waymark:

- The Coordinates must be obtained by a personal visit to the site and should be taken at the dove. 

- Please take at least two photos for a new Waymark. One photo has to be a close-up, with the details (such as the olive branch) clearly visible, the second photo should show the dove in the surroundings. If there is also a panel with additional information on the dove, a picture should be sent as well. 

- Please describe the shape of the dove and which kind of dove it is (with olive branch or not, reference to peace movements) and explain, if it has something special or significant about it. Tell us, which materials have been used (glass, metal, wood, etc.) A long description is required. 

- The name of the Waymark MUST follow this format: Name of the place or name of the street – City - State/Province - Country. 

- We recognize Waymarking as a global hobby and welcome Waymarks from all countries. All Waymarks must have a long description section in ENGLISH. We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks.

Examples of acceptable and unacceptable doves of peace

from: Wikipedia Dove of peace with olive branch, acceptable.
privat

Dove (without olive branches), but the aspect of peace is demonstrable, acceptable
privat   Dove without further information, unacceptable
privat   Dove without blue background and further information, unacceptable
Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

- The Waymarks coordinates must have been visited personally. 

- A self-made picture of the Peace Dove has to be added to your log. 

- Tell us something about your visit to the Peace Dove.
On 18.9.2017 at 5:39 AM, fi67 said:

We recently had a few similar categories with symbols. It looked like being a valid idea at first. And yes, there are worse categories, but I still will not support any more. The idea was not that great.

I agree with fi67. All doves can be waymarked in existing categories. If you use the search function and type in the word dove you can filter them out, we don't need a new category to do that. Bitte nicht enttäuscht sein.

• Upvote 2
On 4.10.2017 at 0:12 AM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I see lots of typos, awkward phrasing, etc. in this category description. May I ask if there are any native English speakers as officers that can help clean it up? This description is definitely not ready for peer review. 

Unfortunately we could not win any native speakers as officers for our group. That's the reason why we have given the text to one of our officer-known Australian persons for correct reading. We have implemented these changes and the text makes sense for us.
The write error "furhter" has already been corrected in the description, and a space has been inserted between Hereare.

It would be nice, if you could tell us the things, which must be corrected in your opinion and maybe you could give us alternative suggestions.

Many Thanks.

14 hours ago, kaschper69 said:

Unfortunately we could not win any native speakers as officers for our group. That's the reason why we have given the text to one of our officer-known Australian persons for correct reading. We have implemented these changes and the text makes sense for us.
The write error "furhter" has already been corrected in the description, and a space has been inserted between Hereare.

It would be nice, if you could tell us the things, which must be corrected in your opinion and maybe you could give us alternative suggestions.

Many Thanks.

I'm happy to look the entire description over for you if you would like - although I'm a Texan, I think I speak English most of the time :) LOL

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back here.  Life happens, folks. :/

Category Description:

The dove is considered a symbol of peace. The Dove of Peace has both religious symbolism and political symbolism in peace movements in the world.

Expanded Description:

In today's world in which violence and war are spreading on our planet, the desire for world peace is growing and peace movements are flourishing. The Peace Dove expresses the hope, desire and demand for international understanding and peace between people, countries, and cultures.

The dove is also an important Biblical symbol. In the story of the Great Flood, an angry God instructed Noah to build an Ark and take male and female pairs of animals and “righteous men and women” aboard. When the Ark was complete, God sent a great flood that drowned all other humans and animals -- an act of complete destruction before re-creation. 

As the Ark floated on the sea, Noah released a dove from the Ark to search for land. The dove returned to the Ark with a fresh olive branch, proof of dry land. The return of the dove with the olive branch is therefore interpreted as a symbol of God making peace with man, after God promised not to send another flood or catyclism against his people. (Gen 8,11 EU)

Ever since, the Dove of Peace has been a part of human culture, as this story exists in some form in all the major monotheistic religions of the world.

In 1955 Pablo Picasso received the World Peace Prize for his silhouette drawing of a Dove of Peace, by then a symbol of peace and peace movements across the world. Here are 88 examples distributed across the globe.

What we are looking for:

- Permanent locations of peace doves with olive branches, because they represent the essence of peace.

- Permanent locations of peace doves related to peace movements (white dove on blue background)

- Permanent locations of peace doves without olive branches, but with some clear connection to concepts of peace. For example: a white dove at a church named "Peace Church", or a sculpture of a dove with a sign or online of its association with peace or a peace movement.

The images of the peace doves must be permanent and in fixed locations (buildings, monuments, firmly anchored signs, etc.). Non-permanent peace doves (on protest signs for example) or stamps with the symbol of the peace dove would not be accepted. Doves released at events are also not allowed.

Only one dove of peace is allowed per waymarked object.  If many doves of peace occur in one site, they must be grouped together into one waymark.  For example:  Peace Doves of Sacred Heart Cathedral, Houston TX , or Peace Doves of Thanksgiving Square, Dallas TX.

Instructions for Posting a Doves of Peace Waymark:

- The Coordinates must be obtained by a personal visit to the site and should be taken at the dove.

- At least two photos for a new Waymark are required. One photo should be a close-up, with the details (such as the olive branch) clearly visible.  The second photo should show the dove in its surroundings. A photo of an information sign about the dove would be welcomed, but is not required.

- Please describe the shape of the dove and which kind of dove it is (with or without olive branch, etc.).  Explain any special or unique significance of this dove.

- Please include the materials used in this dove, and the name of any artist (if known). T

- A long description of at least three sentences is required.

- Naming format: Name of the place or thing – City, State/Province, Country.

- We recognize Waymarking is a global hobby and welcome waymarks from all countries. We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks. However, all Waymarks must have an English translation in each section.

Dove of peace with olive branch, acceptable.

Dove (without olive branches), but the aspect of peace is demonstrable, acceptable

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
Typos

I'm still not very enthusiastic about this category, because I can hardly imagine any dove of peace that can't be posted in any other category. But the description is very good.

One "mistake" I see: There are no examples of unacceptable doves of peace below the headline Examples of acceptable and unacceptable doves of peace.

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

I'm still not very enthusiastic about this category, because I can hardly imagine any dove of peace that can't be posted in any other category. But the description is very good.

One "mistake" I see: There are no examples of unacceptable doves of peace below the headline Examples of acceptable and unacceptable doves of peace.

Follow the link or sea below:

Description:
The dove is considered a symbol of peace. The Dove of Peace has both religious symbolism and political symbolism in peace movements in the world.
Expanded Description:
In today's world in which violence and war are spreading on our planet, the desire for world peace is growing and peace movements are flourishing. The Peace Dove expresses the hope, desire and demand for international understanding and peace between people, countries, and cultures.

The dove is also an important Biblical symbol. In the story of the Great Flood, an angry God instructed Noah to build an Ark and take male and female pairs of animals and “righteous men and women” aboard. When the Ark was complete, God sent a great flood that drowned all other humans and animals -- an act of complete destruction before re-creation. 

As the Ark floated on the sea, Noah released a dove from the Ark to search for land. The dove returned to the Ark with a fresh olive branch, proof of dry land. The return of the dove with the olive branch is therefore interpreted as a symbol of God making peace with man, after God promised not to send another flood or catyclism against his people. (Gen 8,11 EU)

Ever since, the Dove of Peace has been a part of human culture, as this story exists in some form in all the major monotheistic religions of the world.

In 1955 Pablo Picasso received the World Peace Prize for his silhouette drawing of a Dove of Peace, by then a symbol of peace and peace movements across the world. Here are 88 examples distributed across the globe.

What we are looking for:

- Permanent locations of peace doves with olive branches, because they represent the essence of peace.

- Permanent locations of peace doves related to peace movements (white dove on blue background)

- Permanent locations of peace doves without olive branches, but with some clear connection to concepts of peace. For example: a white dove at a church named "Peace Church", or a sculpture of a dove with a sign or online of its association with peace or a peace movement.

The images of the peace doves must be permanent and in fixed locations (buildings, monuments, firmly anchored signs, etc.). Non-permanent peace doves (on protest signs for example) or stamps with the symbol of the peace dove would not be accepted. Doves released at events are also not allowed.

Only one dove of peace is allowed per waymarked object.  If many doves of peace occur in one site, they must be grouped together into one waymark.  For example:  Peace Doves of Sacred Heart Cathedral, Houston TX , or Peace Doves of Thanksgiving Square, Dallas TX.

Instructions for Posting a Doves of peace Waymark:

- At least two photos for a new Waymark are required. One photo should be a close-up, with the details (such as the olive branch) clearly visible.  The second photo should show the dove in its surroundings. A photo of an information sign about the dove would be welcomed, but is not required.

- Please describe the shape of the dove and which kind of dove it is (with or without olive branch, etc.).  Explain any special or unique significance of this dove.

- Please include the materials used in this dove, and the name of any artist (if known).

- A long description of at least three sentences is required.

- Naming format: Name of the place or thing – City, State/Province, Country.

- We recognize Waymarking is a global hobby and welcome waymarks from all countries. We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks. However, all Waymarks must have an English translation in each section.

from: Wikipedia Dove of peace with olive branch, acceptable.
privat

Dove (without olive branches), but the aspect of peace is demonstrable, acceptable
privat   Dove without further information, unacceptable
privat   Dove without blue background and further information, unacceptable
Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

- The Waymarks coordinates must have been visited personally.

- A self-made picture of the Peace Dove has to be added to your log.

- Tell us something about your visit to the Peace Dove.

Edited by kaschper69
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations. I wonder that you accept the symbol of the Holy Spirit a simple white dove. If I understand it right it's different to the peace doves you're looking for. I can find a white dove in almost every church here in Bavaria. I visited a church yesterday, three white doves inside, all symbol for the Holy Spirit. Please make it clearer for me.

First of all, congratulations for the category and sorry for not having taken part in the discussion before the publication.

I ask myself the same question as lumbricus concerning doves representing the Holy Spirit compared to doves representing Peace.
7c75d7aa-cc23-4faf-9b7c-9fb7097d5e51_l.ja8467dfa-4122-44ee-b840-bd7b5ca6125e_l.j

I found this dove yesterday in a church but if I respect the instructions I can't waymarked it because:
- it does not (or no longer) have an olive branch in her broken beak,
- she is not on a blue background,
- the church Saint-Denis of Rivarennes is not formally called "Peace Church Saint-Denis of Rivarennes"
However two waymarks of doves (very nice ones by the way) representing the Holy Spirit and not answering the 3 instructions mentioned above have been already published in the category (WMWXTE and WMWXT7).
So my question is simple: Can a dove clearly representing the Holy Spirit in a church come into the category even if the 3 instructions are missing?

I think this point needs to be made clearer.

Edited by Chickilim
  • Upvote 2

If the reviewers approve doves that do not respect the category instructions or if the category instructions are not revised, years from now reviewers-of-the-future will go through the catgeory and unapprove those waymarks.  Follow the instructions or change the instructions.

If my dove waymark for the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart is not appropriate for the category, then by all means it should be declined and I have no issue with that. 

I had not meant to submit an inappropriate waymark, or cause any controversy or heartburn. I was told by a lady who worked at the cathedral that the window dove was representing the coming of the Peace of Christ and the Holy Spirit, so I thought it would be okay for the category. 

I think I will stick 100% to doves with olive branches from here on in. 

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

If my dove waymark for the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart is not appropriate for the category, then by all means it should be declined and I have no issue with that. 

I had not meant to submit an inappropriate waymark, or cause any controversy or heartburn. I was told by a lady who worked at the cathedral that the window dove was representing the coming of the Peace of Christ and the Holy Spirit, so I thought it would be okay for the category. 

I think I will stick 100% to doves with olive branches from here on in. 

The problem is with the category as it is written, not your WM. I believe it's beak is broken and the olive branch is missing.

I do feel that doves representing the Holy Spirit should be allowed to the category, and it seems a simple fix.

Edited by Manville Possum
Edit to include
  • Upvote 1

First of all, sorry for the belated answer. I was in the last few days on the run from Halloween and the notifications in the forum work for me, unfortunately, not always right. Regarding the Holy Spirit, we will discuss the subject again in our group. In the WM unlocked by me, I could see from the description of a connection. However, I must also say that this could increase the number of doved disproportionately. Therefore, up to the time of our final decision, I really only ask for the dives that are permitted according to the description. Thank you for your feedback and objections, that's the only way we can learn.

We have updated the description regarding the doves, symbolizing the Holy Spirit. In the future, no doves of this kind will be accepted by us any more and those already accepted in the past were subsequently rejected by us as well. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding. We are really still at the beginning. Thank you.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, kaschper69 said:

We have updated the description regarding the doves, symbolizing the Holy Spirit. In the future, no doves of this kind will be accepted by us any more and those already accepted in the past were subsequently rejected by us as well. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding. We are really still at the beginning. Thank you.

No problem Frank.itseems to me that the Waymarking community is understanding about new categories bumps, and just seeks clarity. As long as category officers give clarity, the community may grumble a bit (depending on the decisions), but we all get back to Waymarking pretty soon.

I have submitted my declined dove waymark into Stained Glass Wndws :) 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎02 at 4:52 AM, kaschper69 said:

The icon used by the Uniting Church in Australia is symbolizing the Holy Spirit.  Peace is not mentioned in the description of their logo.

http://uca.org.au/our-logo/