Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
kaschper69

New Category Idea: Doves of peace (Friedenstauben)

16 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

when I was once again looking for new waymarks, the Friedenskirche in Weissenthurm caught my eye. There the symbol of a peace dove (German: Friedenstaube) was placed on the outer facade.
It occurred to me that this symbol, or what is connected with it, is becoming more and more important for the majority of mankind and perhaps a category of its own. Not only are there wars, violence and threats between countries in this world. Even in the street where you live, the neighbors are often in conflict with each other. Thus the desire for world peace is getting bigger and more precisely the symbol of the peace dove.

In addition to the CND symbol, the rainbow, the Olympic fire or for example the Victory sign, the symbol of the peace dove belongs to the peace signs and is intended to express the desire and the demand for international understanding and peace.

The dove also plays a role in the Bible. In the story of the Flood, a dove, oozing from Noah, returned with a fresh olive branch from her journey to the ark. The Flood narrative explains God's declaration of war to men and creation, since the earth is full of violence. The return of the dove with the olive branch is therefore interpreted as peace.

For the designed silhouette of a dove, Pablo Picasso received the World Peace Prize in 1955. This was the occasion for the peace dove as a global symbol of peace and peace movement.

 

In my opinion this category would be global and the possible waymarks would not be overprevalent.


The symbol of the peace dove is also found as a painting page in the educational area, it is used as a motif by doing things with hands and is also a motif of tattoos.

I have also found the peace dove in various categories such as "Figurative Public Sculpture", "Unique Weathervanes", "Roadsite Attractions" or "Mosaics", but there has not been a category that reflects the real meaning of this symbol.

Acceptable could be monuments, sculptures, reliefs, stamps, paintings, mosaics, grafitti (
Without claim of completeness).

Perhaps this category would also help to make our present world a little bit better and more peaceful.

These were my thoughts and information for this new category and I expect your answers and opinions. 
:rolleyes:

Best regards! :)

20170913_072905.jpg

20160811_100641 (2016 x 1512).jpg

P1050622 (1728 x 2304).jpg

2017-09-14_130019.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post

I think in some cases it might be difficult to determine whether it is a dove of peace or just a white dove. Doves of peace often have an olive branch in their beak, but if they don't have that branch,....

0

Share this post


Link to post

I love the motivation of this topic. It's hopeful and very very kind. Such a category would be global for sure :) 

 

My Waymarking opinion though is that the stand-alone doves of peace are already able to be waymarked in existing categories such as Relief Art Displays, Peace Memorials, Stained Glass Windows and Figurative Public Sculptures.

Since every dove of peace can be waymarked already in those categories, I think a stand-alone category has a redundancy issue. 

Doves of peace can be found on or in almost every church in the world - sometimes in multiple iterations.  To my mind, this makes the category overprevalent. 

Just my 2c

2

Share this post


Link to post

Good thought PISA-caching! The peace dove with olive branch is the one with the biblical background. At the Friedenskirche in Weißenthurm, this olive branch was abandoned, but the connection can easily be derived from the name of the church. If the olive branch is missing then an identification as a dove of peace could perhaps take place in another way: either through the place (in this case the church). Or by a reference (information sign in the place where the dove is found or in the net)

 

@ Benchmark Blasterz: Thanks for your answer. I had mentioned that I had found the peace doves already in other categories in the search. However as mentioned above in no own category with the occasion of its importance. In our churches I have not seen many pictures of the peace dove and the churches are not very close together. However, it could also be cleared here with a distance rule, if desired.

0

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, kaschper69 said:

Good thought PISA-caching! The peace dove with olive branch is the one with the biblical background. At the Friedenskirche in Weißenthurm, this olive branch was abandoned, but the connection can easily be derived from the name of the church. If the olive branch is missing then an identification as a dove of peace could perhaps take place in another way: either through the place (in this case the church). Or by a reference (information sign in the place where the dove is found or in the net)

 

@ Benchmark Blasterz: Thanks for your answer. I had mentioned that I had found the peace doves already in other categories in the search. However as mentioned above in no own category with the occasion of its importance. In our churches I have not seen many pictures of the peace dove and the churches are not very close together. However, it could also be cleared here with a distance rule, if desired.

I am not in favor of imposing arbitrary and exclusionary distance rules to cure overprevalence issues. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

That is why we are discussing the topic here. Perhaps an alternative would bei to only accept the peace doves, which, like PISA-caching has written the olive branch in the beak. So my example pictures divorced directly, but what is it. Maybe other players also have alternatives to offer.:)

 
0

Share this post


Link to post

First of all: Distance rules are always bad from my point of view. If one waymark is already listed, why pass on another (maybe much better) waymark, just because it is too close to the other?

If we talk about the category idea in general: I think that most doves of peace will be part of something bigger. Either a peace memorial or a mosaic or a mural or... It will be a mix of various things and I personally wouldn't be interested in that kind of collection. In BK-Hunters example I would rather want to learn something about the cultural centre than to go there and take a picture of that dove of peace. Besides, what should we write in the long description of such a waymark? @ BK-Hunters: How much Information can you give us about this dove of peace? The size, the color, the material,...? Most of them will have no hi(story) to tell.

For the same reason I'm also not too enthusiastic about the hourglasses and some other categories, but if you find enough proponents, I wouldn't vote against it.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

 

First of all: Distance rules are always bad from my point of view. If one waymark is already listed, why pass on another (maybe much better) waymark, just because it is too close to the other?

If we talk about the category idea in general: I think that most doves of peace will be part of something bigger. Either a peace memorial or a mosaic or a mural or... It will be a mix of various things and I personally wouldn't be interested in that kind of collection. In BK-Hunters example I would rather want to learn something about the cultural centre than to go there and take a picture of that dove of peace. Besides, what should we write in the long description of such a waymark? @ BK-Hunters: How much Information can you give us about this dove of peace? The size, the color, the material,...? Most of them will have no hi(story) to tell.

For the same reason I'm also not too enthusiastic about the hourglasses and some other categories, but if you find enough proponents, I wouldn't vote against it.

 

Agree, in the example, we could provide extensive information about the Doukhobor  history, culture and the Culture Center.. That said, it is agreed that this falls into the same situation as the Hourglass category. The items such as "Doves of Peace" "Hourglasses" and many others create endless possibilities. Where so we draw the line?

As an added note: we often see numerous category proposals that are workable ideas that lost traction and are never heard of again.

0

Share this post


Link to post

There is also an officially sign which shows a white dove on a blue background.

1200px-Friedenstaube_weiss_blau_kreis.sv

I think is is possible to decide what is a dove of peace and what is a single dove. There must also a picture which shows the whole "scene". What is meant with the dove.
The idea to find a symbol of peace makes sence, makes more sence than to find symbols of comics, like other waymarks.
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 15.9.2017 at 4:28 PM, PISA-caching said:

First of all: Distance rules are always bad from my point of view. If one waymark is already listed, why pass on another (maybe much better) waymark, just because it is too close to the other?

If we talk about the category idea in general: I think that most doves of peace will be part of something bigger. Either a peace memorial or a mosaic or a mural or... It will be a mix of various things and I personally wouldn't be interested in that kind of collection. In BK-Hunters example I would rather want to learn something about the cultural centre than to go there and take a picture of that dove of peace. Besides, what should we write in the long description of such a waymark? @ BK-Hunters: How much Information can you give us about this dove of peace? The size, the color, the material,...? Most of them will have no hi(story) to tell.

For the same reason I'm also not too enthusiastic about the hourglasses and some other categories, but if you find enough proponents, I wouldn't vote against it.

 

I also do not like distance rules, because for me, the objects of the individual categories are all equivalent. Whether it is 2 or 10 in a certain radius. For this purpose other areas are completely excluded in certain categories.

When we talk about the fact that the doves are usually part of a something bigger, I agree with you, for example, in the already mentioned churches. But there are so many categories that are also available in the churches (Town clocks, Belltowers, Signs of History, Doorways of the World, Trigonometric Points, etc.) and have also made it into an independent category.

The dove of peace in general already has a story to tell. It is regarded as a symbol of peace, and thus stands for people's desire for peace and a friendly coexistence without war or violence. And that is something important for me. What, for example, has the category "Pikachu Sightings" for a special background?

0

Share this post


Link to post

Remember that Pikachu sightings is from the early days of Waymarking. Such a category I think would not pass today. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Remember that Pikachu sightings is from the early days of Waymarking. Such a category I think would not pass today. 

 

That is your opinion and most likely correct. But Pikachu sightings is one of the only few categories that I and interested in as Waymarking as an whole.

I had an idea about Waymarking Pokemon stops and the thread here got locked because Pokemon GO was a hot item and Groundspeak must have felt threatened by it. It was only a fad for the summer.

I'm all for new category ideas, but this same old "this won't work" gets old. I say create a group and proceed to peer review. You have my support.

0

Share this post


Link to post

We recently had a few similar categories with symbols. It looked like being a valid idea at first. And yes, there are worse categories, but I still will not support any more. The idea was not that great.

0

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎17‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 10:39 AM, kaschper69 said:

I also do not like distance rules, because for me, the objects of the individual categories are all equivalent. Whether it is 2 or 10 in a certain radius. For this purpose other areas are completely excluded in certain categories.

When we talk about the fact that the doves are usually part of a something bigger, I agree with you, for example, in the already mentioned churches. But there are so many categories that are also available in the churches (Town clocks, Belltowers, Signs of History, Doorways of the World, Trigonometric Points, etc.) and have also made it into an independent category.

The dove of peace in general already has a story to tell. It is regarded as a symbol of peace, and thus stands for people's desire for peace and a friendly coexistence without war or violence. And that is something important for me. What, for example, has the category "Pikachu Sightings" for a special background?

You're right, details of churches can add to several different categories. BUT, I can imagine that there are people who are interested in clocks of all kinds, I can also imagine people who love the sound of bells and people who are interested in history etc. But I don't think that many people will look for doves of peace. I think, people who like the idea of peace would rather look for Peace Poles and Peace Memorials and not a single, small dove of peace in a mosaic on a church. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

1

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3