Cache gallery - photos not in chronological order

noncentric

Just noticed something odd when viewing the Gallery of a cache:  HERE

The photos are not in chronological order. The August photos on the first page of the gallery are in a mixed up order. I also noticed that the July photos on the second page of the gallery are also out of order and some are oversized.

I started looking at some other cache galleries and noticed similar chronological ordering issues:  October 2015 photos HERE, July-August 2017 photos HERE.

Would be great to have the Gallery photos appear in correct chronological order again. Please!

Not all photos have the 'date taken' EXIF attribute. I'd say it's like Logs that don't have a time component to the datestamp.

Gallery photos should be sorted by LogID first (keep them grouped together, in case the cacher uploads photos days/weeks later, so photo sets are in order of the log history).  After that, gallery photos should be sorted in the same way they are listed as thumbnails on the listing page (whether it's by Date Taken if it exists and then Upload Date, or vice versa, or whatever - just make sure it's the same)

Edited by thebruce0
3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Not all photos have the 'date taken' EXIF attribute. I'd say it's like Logs that don't have a time component to the datestamp.

I'm not referring to the EXIF data.  I'm referring to the "Date Taken" field that is attached to each photo (see image below) when selecting to "Edit Image".

There was a relatively recent change to this value.  In the past, this field would be populated with whatever date the photo was uploaded, regardless of the date of the log. For example, if I posted a field note for an 8/25 find on 9/7 and then uploaded a photo, then the photo would have a date of 9/7 in the gallery and be sorted at 9/7. I'd have to go into Edit Image to change the date to 8/25. And then the photo would be sorted as 8/25 in the gallery.

With recent changes, if I post a field note for an 8/25 find on 9/7 and then upload a photo, then the photo adopts the 8/25 date from the associated log.  However, it's now being sorted by the uploaded date (9/7) instead of the user-editable 'date taken' date (8/25).

gc-pic-datetaken.png

Edited by noncentric
fixed places where i typed 8/27, but meant 8/25
39 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I'm not referring to the EXIF data.  I'm referring to the "Date Taken" field that is attached to each photo (see image below) when selecting to "Edit Image"

ooh right.  Yeah, don't know how to apply that. Still want to see the photos sorted by log ID (eta: first).  And being free entry someone could easily 'abuse' the date field and keep a photo(s) at the start of the gallery.

Edited by thebruce0
4 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

ooh right.  Yeah, don't know how to apply that. Still want to see the photos sorted by log ID.  And being free entry someone could easily 'abuse' the date field and keep a photo(s) at the start of the gallery.

Yeah, sorted by log-id is good, although some logs have multiple photos and so there'd still have to be a secondary sort field.

I'm pretty sure that the 'date taken' and 'upload date' values are in the same 'photo' table, although probably named differently.  I don't know if the log-id is in the same table as the photo dates, or if there's another key that ties each photo back to a log. If the latter, then using log-id to sort photos would be more time-consuming than using the 'date taken' field.

Whatever the data structure, it seems that something has been changed recently, because I'd never seen this issue before - and I tend to log via field notes, so the upload vs taken date was common.

I'm still seeing this issue and it seems to be more noticeable now that more photos are being uploaded via the official app.

It looks like photos in Cache Galleries are being sorted by upload method (website/api vs official app) and then by date. Users may see 2018 photos on page 1 and page 10 of a cache gallery, which is just odd.

Not sure if any Lackeys have noticed this?

22 hours ago, noncentric said:

Not sure if any Lackeys have noticed this?

We've been assured in the past that all posts in this sub-forum are read, so we have to assume that they're aware of the issue. That then leads to curiosity over why this hasn't been fixed. It would seem to be a fairly easy fix to have the photos sort by the "Date Taken" field rather than whatever it's sorting by now.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:19 PM, The A-Team said:

It was at least a year ago, because noncentric started this discussion last September. It's too bad they can't spare one of the developers to work on small fixes like this.

It's a truly annoying bug to find the most recent photos eventually at the end of the gallery.

I really hope this bug is on their ToDo list.

no action or response????

it is an annoying feature/bug.

when you are looking for recent photos you have to scroll through the entire gallery.

fortunately I run a firefox and chrome tampermonkey script called geocaching thumbnails that allows me to scroll through the logs from photo to photo, in correct chronological order.

• Upvote 1