Ad sense violation?

I got an email today apparently from geocaching.com telling me that one of my waymarks posted years ago "had been reported for an ad sense violation. The link included in the page does not work and therefore needs to be removed from the page." :unsure:

I removed the link as requested.

Has anyone else has ever had this kind of email?

What is an ad sense violation?

The link I removed was (at the time) valid for a newspaper article about the waymark. 

I know that at least one link to a newspaper article in a Waymark of ours is now dead. I can't really remove it, as the WM IS the article (or the article IS the WM). Haven't yet gotten any notices like that, though. It seems to me that when I discovered the dead link I added a notation that it no longer worked, removed the link but left the article in place.

Dunno what an "ad sense violation" is. Maybe in time someone will tell us.

Keith

Ad sense is a google tools to put google ads on a website and the webmaster makes money when someone clicks on the ads.

And sometime a violation of google policies is reporting about website contents and ad sense ads, placement, authorisation, etc...

And as Groundspeak publish waymarks pages, they received this information and they were asked to removed the link.

And Groundspeak publish a lot of adsense in these websites, they must apply the Google rules.

I never received this kind of email

24 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I know that at least one link to a newspaper article in a Waymark of ours is now dead. I can't really remove it, as the WM IS the article (or the article IS the WM). Haven't yet gotten any notices like that, though. It seems to me that when I discovered the dead link I added a notation that it no longer worked, removed the link but left the article in place.

Dunno what an "ad sense violation" is. Maybe in time someone will tell us.

Keith

I did the same -- I removed the dead link but left the article. The article gave life and context to the waymark.

23 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

Ad sense is a google tools to put google ads on a website and the webmaster makes money when someone clicks on the ads.

And sometime a violation of google policies is reporting about website contents and ad sense ads, placement, authorisation, etc...

And as Groundspeak publish waymarks pages, they received this information and they were asked to removed the link.

And Groundspeak publish a lot of adsense in these websites, they must apply the Google rules.

I figured it had something to do with money -

I thought I was being accused of violating a GS policy about not advertising a commercial business in a waymark, which I didn't think I had done.  I removed the link anyway, since it was dead, but left the content. 

I wonder how many other waymarkers will run afoul of this?  

Will we be asked to remove working links?

10 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Here some further information from the google AdSense-Page.

AdSense program policies

Report or request a review for a policy violation

Reporting a Violation

Now that I've read the Ad Sense policies I'm having trouble understanding how Benchmark Blasterz' busted link to a newspaper article could have created an Ad Sense violation, as they're not members of the program. They're not paying for clicks, soliciting clicks, etc.

I suspect that the busted link was reported in error to Google, which sent out an automated message to the Blasterz without substantiating the report. (That's just a guess, of course.)

Keith

11 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Now that I've read the Ad Sense policies I'm having trouble understanding how Benchmark Blasterz' busted link to a newspaper article could have created an Ad Sense violation, as they're not members of the program. They're not paying for clicks, soliciting clicks, etc.

I suspect that the busted link was reported in error to Google, which sent out an automated message to the Blasterz without substantiating the report. (That's just a guess, of course.)

Keith

As I understand the policies it does no matter if the owner of the linked page uses AdSense or not.The user of AdSense (in that case Groundspeak) has to take care that nothing on his pages is violating the AdSense policies (for my opinon that includes links to other pages). This would mean that users of AdSense would to have checked every link on the their pages (Which of course nobody will do ;)).

Look likes Goggle constantly review publishers for compliance with the policies (however it works technically). When Goggle uses robots to check the pages it could be that these robots also uses keywords to check pages and linked pages (I can not imagine that this happens manually). Perhaps one of these robots found such a keyword on the newsletter page and automatically starts the AdSense-Violation-Process. But this is only a presumption.

Papa Geomauli

Edited by GeoMaulis
7 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

If all the links to newspaper articles are going to violate ad sense -- uh oh 

I can imagine that you can construe some rule violations with an external link, but not at all when this link is dead. The whole story (i.e. the part we know) does not make any sense.