Oregon 750t arrows

meganjoe

I have a garmin 750t that I use mainly for geocaching. When I open the list of geocaches that are already downloaded on the right side of each cache I get an arrow that points in the direction of that particular cache. After a few seconds it changes to a compass direction, NE,SW etc. from my current location. Is there a setting for this? I kind of like the arrows. It makes it easy to decide which cache to go to next..

Thanks, Joe

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

I'm gonna do some testing later and get back to you.

I called Garmin Tech Support today.. They could not change the setting either.. They did say they would pass it on up the line and possibly make a fix..

The weird thing is, like I said, sometimes the arrows shows up for a few seconds then reverts back to the letters..

Thanks, Joe

1 hour ago, meganjoe said:

I called Garmin Tech Support today.. They could not change the setting either.. They did say they would pass it on up the line and possibly make a fix..

The weird thing is, like I said, sometimes the arrows shows up for a few seconds then reverts back to the letters..

Thanks, Joe

So far, that is the exact same result I am getting.... regardless if I select Degrees, MILS, or directional letters....

I have 750T with firmware 3.33

Checking BULl's advice on SETUP, there is no option for an arrow

Either

Directional letters

Numeric degrees 

Mils

I have set mine to degrees and that is what appears on the cache lists page.

One just has to visualise the degrees in terms of direction.

Mike

Photo of screen hopefully to follow

23 minutes ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

And then?   I presume the 750 has more than one button; do you press and hold one, or use a combination of buttons or ...?  What is the value of using terse replies when trying to help someone?

The value is better readability.

Alright. I have an answer for you. Bear in mind that I'm working with an Oregon 600, and I'm assuming that it works the same for the 700 for this case.

I get the arrows when I'm moving at sufficient speed (above 2-5 mph). At slow speed or when stopped, the arrows revert back to degrees. Hop in your car and test this out.

My guess is those times when you briefly got the arrows on your geocache list, the GPS was just acquiring a signal and your last known location was away from your current location. Thus when the GPS finally locked a signal, there was a temporary speed boost as it moved from the last known location to your current location.

33 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Alright. I have an answer for you. Bear in mind that I'm working with an Oregon 600, and I'm assuming that it works the same for the 700 for this case.

I get the arrows when I'm moving at sufficient speed (above 2-5 mph). At slow speed or when stopped, the arrows revert back to degrees. Hop in your car and test this out.

My guess is those times when you briefly got the arrows on your geocache list, the GPS was just acquiring a signal and your last known location was away from your current location. Thus when the GPS finally locked a signal, there was a temporary speed boost as it moved from the last known location to your current location.

I think I can explain this.

The magnetic compass on the Garmin GPSr so equipped only works while at a stand still or very slow speeds (ie walking). Once the unit detects a pre-defined speed, the directional readout reverts to calculating the angle between track points as you move along, instead of using the magnetic compass. When this happens, the display likely changes from degrees/letters/mils to arrows to display the approximate direction to each waypoint, in this case, geocaches.

See Setup > Heading > Compass.

Edited by Atlas Cached
3 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I will do the car test.. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.. I would still like the option to choose the arrows.. Maybe that will change some day..

Joe

55 minutes ago, meganjoe said:

Maybe that will change some day..

I doubt it. Garmin GPS receivers have worked this way for over a decade now.

When you're standing still, you can view your geocaches on the map and get a sense of where they are spatially around you. You can also select the geocache you want to navigate towards from the map by simply touching it. So there will be times when you don't even need the list view to select your cache.

I will say that when you are driving or riding a bike, the arrows come in handy because a quick glance is really all you have to decide where you're headed next. (Note: I do not condone looking at your GPS and searching for geocaches while actively driving. Keep your eyes on the road.)

Edited by Mineral2
45 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I doubt it. Garmin GPS receivers have worked this way for over a decade now.

When you're standing still, you can view your geocaches on the map and get a sense of where they are spatially around you. You can also select the geocache you want to navigate towards from the map by simply touching it. So there will be times when you don't even need the list view to select your cache.

I will say that when you are driving or riding a bike, the arrows come in handy because a quick glance is really all you have to decide where you're headed next. (Note: I do not condone looking at your GPS and searching for geocaches while actively driving. Keep your eyes on the road.)

Yes, the arrows do show up when driving.. 

Thanks for all the great info...

Joe