Query's HELP

Belemilus

Hello so I want to start the Middle of Nowhere Small Town Challenge in Minnesota. I have to find 20 caches in towns with a certain population. Caches I've found already count. Is there a way to build a query only looking the the caches I've found in specific towns or do I have to go through all my finds and figure it out? 

This is the challenge I'm talking about. https://coord.info/GC3PBKV

Edited by Belemilus

Since the OP is a Premium Member, a search on the Search page can be done.

On that page, click on "Filters" and select "I've found" at the upper right, then "Search" button at the bottom. That will create a list of found caches.

Click on "Map these Geocaches" at the top right of that list, which will then show your finds on a map.  You would then need to check those smiley icons to see if they are in various towns that might qualify for the challenge.  Team Taran's advice about looking at previous challenge finders' lists is a good one. It looks like many of the logs on that challenge cache page list the towns that were used for the challenge, so that would be a good starting point.

1 hour ago, RufusClupea said:

If it were me, I think I'd make a PQ of all my finds, then view it on a map.  Then it depends on the towns/populations of where you've been caching.

For cachers with less than 1000 finds, using the Search page to view finds on a map can be easier/quicker. Mapping of search results is limited to 1000 caches, so beyond that a My Finds PQ is a good option.

16 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

If it were me, I think I'd make a PQ of all my finds, then view it on a map.  Then it depends on the towns/populations of where you've been caching.

14 hours ago, noncentric said:

On that page, click on "Filters" and select "I've found" at the upper right, then "Search" button at the bottom. That will create a list of found caches.

Click on "Map these Geocaches" at the top right of that list, which will then show your finds on a map.  You would then need to check those smiley icons to see if they are in various towns that might qualify for the challenge.  Team Taran's advice about looking at previous challenge finders' lists is a good one. It looks like many of the logs on that challenge cache page list the towns that were used for the challenge, so that would be a good starting point.

16 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

For cachers with less than 1000 finds, using the Search page to view finds on a map can be easier/quicker. Mapping of search results is limited to 1000 caches, so beyond that a My Finds PQ is a good option.

A PQ or results of the search page wouldn't show finds on caches that are now archived.   Using the canned My Finds PQ would though and there area a few ways to view that on a map.  As is often the case, there's a GSAK macro for that.

Yep, PQs are designed for current listing queries, and won't return archived caches, even if you've found them.  You'll need to generate your My Finds query (bottom of the PQ page), download that GPX and map it - GSAK generally has the best features for that. There are a number of mapping macros to choose from. Keep in mind that when you have multiple thousands, mapping every single one can be a large memory hog.

6 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

A PQ or results of the search page wouldn't show finds on caches that are now archived.   Using the canned My Finds PQ would though and there area a few ways to view that on a map.  As is often the case, there's a GSAK macro for that.

Actually, the Advanced Search will show archived caches when searching with "I've found" filter. I just re-tested it to confirm.  Archived listings that I've found appear in the list view and also in the Map view.

A regular PQ will not include archived caches, so is not a good method to use. The My Finds PQ, paired with a mapping program/site/app, is another option and especially for cachers with 1000+ finds.

A mapping option I learned about here in the forums is GPS Visualizer

• Run the My Finds PQ
  • Download the resulting .zip file
  • Upload that .zip file in the "upload your GPS data files here" section on the right-hand side of the GPS Visualizer page
  • Click the "Draw the map" button

This will open a new browser window with the map and open treasure chest icons representing your found caches.  You can change the map layer by using the drop-down window at the upper right of the map. There are some other options too.

FYI:  The page allows uploading multiple files (both as .zip and .gpx), so can be handy for mapping other PQ's too.  Treasure chest icons on the map show as closed for unfound and open for found.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:29 PM, noncentric said:

On 9/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, RufusClupea said:

For cachers with less than 1000 finds, using the Search page to view finds on a map can be easier/quicker. Mapping of search results is limited to 1000 caches, so beyond that a My Finds PQ is a good option

I hadn't realized that the search would return archived, but found, listings.  Good to know. Not only is the mapping of search results limited to 1000 caches,  the results list  are limited to 1000 as well.   If you scroll, and scroll through the results, eventually it will tell you that it's limited the results to 1000 caches.