premium not working

Your account now shows that you are a Premium member.  Is the app working for you?  If it's not, then you may need to log out of the app and then log back into it.

I'm wondering about your comment "It's taken the premium payment today for this month."   Are you paying a premium payment every month?  The website gives you recurring payment options of 3 months (7.99 GBP) or 12 months (24.99 GBP). I think the Google Play Store has more expensive monthly options, so you may want to consider buying through the website instead.

I pay for my membership every three months and have done since I started caching in 2013. Today, Android App asks me to upgrade - yet the website shows I am fully paid until Mid December. App refuses to allow me to access Premium. Turns out Google Play had an old card that expired, so Google has switched off Premium on the App until I put a new card in - or forced Groundspeak to allow them to do this. I paid a month at £4 odd to fix this, app works fine now, adds a month to 3 month paid meaning renewal mid January 2018, Google get their new card details - no way to argue and cannot remove card details. Not sure if its Groundspeak or Google at fault, but between them it shows Android up to be an absolute poor option for caching. I for one cannot wait to go back to an Iphone as it never forced me like this. Not very happy :(

8 hours ago, Hitman9956 said:

I pay for my membership every three months and have done since I started caching in 2013. Today, Android App asks me to upgrade - yet the website shows I am fully paid until Mid December. App refuses to allow me to access Premium. Turns out Google Play had an old card that expired, so Google has switched off Premium on the App until I put a new card in - or forced Groundspeak to allow them to do this. I paid a month at £4 odd to fix this, app works fine now, adds a month to 3 month paid meaning renewal mid January 2018, Google get their new card details - no way to argue and cannot remove card details. Not sure if its Groundspeak or Google at fault, but between them it shows Android up to be an absolute poor option for caching. I for one cannot wait to go back to an Iphone as it never forced me like this. Not very happy :(

You may want to consider buying your premium membership through the website, instead of via Google Play or App Store.  If you buy via the website, then your account will be premium and you will get premium benefits in the app.  For example, I purchased my premium membership through the website, never through the Play Store, and get all premium benefits in the app.

The 3-month cost on the website is £7.99 and the annual cost is £24.99 on auto-renewal.

I am having the same problem. I was paying monthly on auto renewal $5.99 a month for premium membership. Yet it shows the last two months I am only a basic member even though I've been charged the $5.99 for those months. I have another $5.99 pending in my account right now too and I'm still just basic and no way to stop these payments. I've contacted a few times.

5 hours ago, twistedwoods said:

I am having the same problem. I was paying monthly on auto renewal $5.99 a month for premium membership.

Are you really paying $71.88 for a year PM? Paying for a full year is $30, monthly payments seem a ripoff.

• Upvote 2

I bought the premium, and it will not connect to Google play? Resulting in my wasting $6 to get the same "go premium" message, followed by "I am premium" followed by "can't connect to Google play". Is there a fix for this? Or did I just make a donation to keep the most basic of privileges? 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Raavniir said:

I bought the premium, and it will not connect to Google play? Resulting in my wasting $6 to get the same "go premium" message, followed by "I am premium" followed by "can't connect to Google play". Is there a fix for this? Or did I just make a donation to keep the most basic of privileges? 

Your account is now premium, so you may need to log out and then log back in.

For reference, see the Help Center article Still Basic after upgrade to Premium

14 minutes ago, Raavniir said:

You show as Premium on the forums. I have no experience with the GC app but I fail to see why you would need access to Google Play after paying.

Just try to log off and on again in your app and see if that fixes it.

I am having the same problem. I have paid for premium, both the app and website say I'm premium, I can access other premium only things like maps etc but when I try to open a premium cache it's says I need to upgrade and then when I click "learn more" it says it can't connect to play store. I have logged out and logged in, uninstalled and reinstalled. Reset my phone, cleared all cache and data from both GC app and play store app multiple times but nothing has worked. Has anyone resolved this yet?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, lexilovesyee said:

I am having the same problem. I have paid for premium, both the app and website say I'm premium, I can access other premium only things like maps etc but when I try to open a premium cache it's says I need to upgrade and then when I click "learn more" it says it can't connect to play store. I have logged out and logged in, uninstalled and reinstalled. Reset my phone, cleared all cache and data from both GC app and play store app multiple times but nothing has worked. Has anyone resolved this yet?

On 6/30/2018 at 9:15 AM, Masonm427 said:

I am having the same issue

On 6/29/2018 at 1:40 PM, Raavniir said:

FYI - It sounds like you might've paid for your Premium membership through the app store?  If so, then I'd suggest buying your Premium Membership through the website instead next time.

Membership prices on the website are $30 USD for 1 year or $10 for 3 months.  It's a recurring membership, but can be cancelled pretty easily so that it doesn't recur when the 1-year or 3-month expires.

From what I've read, the prices via the app stores (apple and android) are much higher than buying through the website and seem to have more connection issues.

Same problem here. Today my subscription should be automatically renewed. I've bought yearly renewal through Google Play and can already see the amount due as a reservation on my credit card. Because of the 'cannot connect to Google Play' - message, I've canceled the subscription via play and subscribed directly through the GC website. I've logged out of and back in to the app, uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing helps. The app keeps telling me that I'm not a premium member and should upgrade, followed by the 'cannot connect' nonsense. 

Help? 

1 hour ago, rcdeb said:

Same problem here. Today my subscription should be automatically renewed. I've bought yearly renewal through Google Play and can already see the amount due as a reservation on my credit card. Because of the 'cannot connect to Google Play' - message, I've canceled the subscription via play and subscribed directly through the GC website. I've logged out of and back in to the app, uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing helps. The app keeps telling me that I'm not a premium member and should upgrade, followed by the 'cannot connect' nonsense. 

Help? 

There are unresolved posts in this thread as far back as September.  I wonder what they've tried all this time?  Some helpful people suggested things to try.  Did it work?  Don't leave us hanging.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed in such cases is, if you wait a few hours, the whole problem automagically goes away.  How many hours ago did you renew directly on the web site?

According to your Profile on Geocaching.com, you're a Premium Member.  See if at least the web site seems to be OK for you.  Maybe if you "cancel' via the App, the App is affected differently.  It seems to take a while for The App to catch up.  If it starts working, post the results. Don't leave us hanging. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

We have had two varying experiences.  Both my husband and I are premium members; his subscription started in March, 2017.  By June, sharing his wasn't working so well, so I started my own.  Both on auto-renew.

March 2018 - his was scheduled to auto renew, but by late in the day, he was a Basic Member.  So he went in and manually upgraded to premium, and paid $30 with his CC online.  He's back to Premium and all is well.  I check our CC statement a couple of days later, and we've been charged twice (once on auto-renew, once on his manual renew).  BUT, his subscription now expires March 2020!  So that's all good.  He's still on auto renew.

June 2018 - my membership is set to auto renew, so I'm watching my account.  It seemed to happen without a glitch.  I stayed Premium, my date changed to June 2019, and it never reverted to Basic.  I'm still on auto renew as well.

For one of us, auto renew worked without a hitch and I'm going to keep it that way, and just watch it.  For the other, it didn't work, but then it did, and we ended up with two years paid.  That works too, and we left his on auto renew and will just watch his as well.  For now, it's all good.

On 18-8-2018 at 4:17 PM, kunarion said:

Anyway, one thing I've noticed in such cases is, if you wait a few hours, the whole problem automagically goes away. [...]  If it starts working, post the results. Don't leave us hanging. B)

And indeed, the issue automagically disappeared. Not sure how long it took. When I went out shortly after my report here, I could still only view non-premium caches. Now premium works again as it should. 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:26 PM, kunarion said:

When did you first notice the problem?

It's not working for me either!

I've never used geocaching before. I installed the app for the first time today and upgraded to premium immediately. 

Edited by peterd8411
57 minutes ago, peterd8411 said:

It's not working for me either!

I've never used geocaching before. I installed the app for the first time today and upgraded to premium immediately. 

It takes a couple of hours for the account information to sync with the App.  Notice the others above who "have the same problem" have since found Premium Caches and only one or two returned to this thread to mention that the issue vanished.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1