Suggestion: Remove "Needs maintenance" icon from archived caches

sTeamTraen

When I look at the list of caches that I own (here), it would be nice to scroll down and use the presence of the red wrench icon to tell me which caches need maintenance.

However, quite a few of those caches are archived.  The fact that they need(ed) maintenance doesn't seem very relevant any more.  If the wrenches were removed, it would be easier to see quickly which caches need maintenance.

Don't your archived caches have a red line through them? 

Guess I don't understand how one could mistake those for active caches that actually need maintenance...

I think they're often helpful.  Some have archived caches simply because they needed maintenance on them. 

Knowing who those COs are sometimes  helps me guess  whether I want to do any of their other hides.  :)

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Don't your archived caches have a red line through them? 

They do, but I want to be able to scroll down the page while just focusing on the column with the wrench in it.

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I think they're often helpful.  Some have archived caches simply because they needed maintenance on them. 

Knowing who those COs are sometimes  helps me guess  whether I want to do any of their other hides.  :)

Well, I'm not sure how much one can learn from the NA attribute.  Perhaps people who archive their caches when they can't maintain them are placing better caches than those who archive them for other reasons (e.g., 90 days have passed, time to archive and churn the same container at the same location); this is basically an epidemiological question, and there are lots of counter-intuitive things that emerge in epidemiological studies, especially when survival (aka archiving here) is a factor.  There are so many statistical tests I would love to run on the cache data!

Anyway, my suggestion was just for one's personal owned caches, but maybe there is a lot of code shared with other displays.

Edited by sTeamTraen
38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

It happens, sometimes what seemed like a great spot turns out to be not so great, or something bad happens at GZ (a rock slide, perhaps, or a permanent track closure) and archiving is the best or only maintenance option. I've archived several of my hides because the location became untenable - luckily I discovered the problem before anyone had a chance to log an NM but it could just as easily have gone the other way. I don't think you can read anything into the attitude or commitment of a CO just because they chose to archive a cache rather than replace or repair it.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It happens, sometimes what seemed like a great spot turns out to be not so great, or something bad happens at GZ (a rock slide, perhaps, or a permanent track closure) and archiving is the best or only maintenance option. I've archived several of my hides because the location became untenable - luckily I discovered the problem before anyone had a chance to log an NM but it could just as easily have gone the other way. I don't think you can read anything into the attitude or commitment of a CO just because they chose to archive a cache rather than replace or repair it.

Really?  Location problems are completely different than simple maintenance issues (what you replied to)... 

A NM "log soaked" log (with two mentions beforehand),  archived by the CO right afterwards,  doesn't tell you anything about that CO?

How many caches done the same (to show a pattern)  do you feel it would take?

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, hcy said:

Would be nice to have an option to hide archived caches from the Owned Geocaches page.

We like to read logs (before they just became tftc...) and often look at our archived hides for those.     :)

Most of our "favorited" hides are now archived, many by the same owner, so we access their public profile to view them. 

Most we know who do the same, go to our public profile to do so too.  It'd be nice for cache history and just ease of use if they could still view them there...

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

No.   I didn't say, "of course" anywhere...   

I think it should stay as-is, so others can view Geocaching's cache history unchanged. 

This is not what I mean. I want to hide the archived Geocaches from my own list (because I know which caches I had and I'm not interested to always see the old stuff which is archived since years), not from public profile.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, hcy said:

This should be configurable of course (switch on/off archived caches).

8 hours ago, hcy said:

This is not what I mean. I want to hide the archived Geocaches from my own list (because I know which caches I had and I'm not interested to always see the old stuff which is archived since years), not from public profile.

I understood exactly what you meant, it was a casual assumption that your idea's included in my opinion...

On 10/09/2017 at 9:53 PM, sTeamTraen said:

When I look at the list of caches that I own (here), it would be nice to scroll down and use the presence of the red wrench icon to tell me which caches need maintenance.

However, quite a few of those caches are archived.  The fact that they need(ed) maintenance doesn't seem very relevant any more.  If the wrenches were removed, it would be easier to see quickly which caches need maintenance.

I don't know if we're technically allowed to do it, but did you try to log a (posthumous) owner maintenance to these archived caches? Maybe something with a comment stating something like "Cache has been removed and therefore doesn't require maintenance anymore"...

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

I don't know if we're technically allowed to do it, but did you try to log a (posthumous) owner maintenance to these archived caches? Maybe something with a comment stating something like "Cache has been removed and therefore doesn't require maintenance anymore"...

Good idea. I just brought up one of my archived caches and tried to log it, and the Owner Maintenance log type is indeed available. I tried logging one on an archived cache that still had the Needs Maintenance attribute, and it successfully cleared it.

• Upvote 1

I expect sTeamTraen already knows this, it's not a response to the original request -   you can see your owned hides absent archived from both a Pocket Query and from Search.  A PQ of caches I own will NOT include archived

and from Search, here's search for caches owned by hcy

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&owner[0]=hcy

You can use a pocket query to see caches I own with the NM attribute.  You can use the maintenance page as well, https://www.geocaching.com/hide/cachemaintenance.aspx

but it includes unpublished listings, which for some, really muddies the waters.