Tree Hugger II: Plunder THIS You Freakin' Kids! (new cache next week)

fractal

After getting the ok from Kyle and the THPRD about putting a Tree Hugger style cache back in action, I started talking with Shinwa about adding an interesting twist to the 'move it up the tree' part. Sort of a 'bonus' cache/game, but not an extra find.. It would just be for fun...

The cache itself will be at a fixed point up the tree. The container will be locked, and to help prevent further plundering, I'm thinking of having people email me for the combo, or solve a puzzle. Any thoughts on this or preference?

The 'bonus' cache/game will be some sort of marker (again locked, email or puzzle for combo) that will start out near the main cache. Players can, if they choose, move the marker further up the tree. Whoever get's it to the top will win... Oh.. I dunno.. a free margarita (or soda icon_wink.gif )

What will be considered the 'top'? Well.. I'll put a little something up there so you know for sure icon_wink.gif

When it reaches the top, I'll have to climb my a$$ up there and bring it back down.. But that's ok since I'm pretty used to climbing this tree now!

Oh.. and people could come back at any time to continue playing the 'bonus' game. I would just have them post a note to the cache page so I know who moved it last, and where it's at.

Sound fun/interesting at all? I'm going to try to get this out next week, so if anyone has any suggestions, improvements, or anything, I'd love to hear them...

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

I suppose it is possible that more folks will be eager to get the marker all the way up (all or nothing right?) the tree if there is a margarita on the line. Not that that would have a motivating affect on me icon_biggrin.gif

There might need to be a lock to secure the cache to the tree as well as locking the cache shut. Victor would probably take it and try to blow it up if it was just locked shut.

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

I'm thinking of having people email me for the combo, or solve a puzzle. Any thoughts on this or preference?

We had one in KFall where you got to the cache and it was padlocked. The instructions there gave you coordinates to go to to (wow 4 words ending in 'o', in a row!) get the combo of the lock. Only catch was, the combo was 4 digits with one digit duplicated. You got the 3 numbers by going to the intermediate points, then you had to figure out which one was duplicated and what order they went in. There was something like 16 combinations to go through.

Kinda fun.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

You were supposed to find the combination at one of the steps in the multi-cache, but we couldn't find it. We wound up going to the final cache anyways, and were able to find a "back door" into the ammo box. Gave us a sneaky sense of accomplishment. I guess my point is... don't make it too hard to find the combination, or someone might wind up cutting down the tree to get the stupid thing off. Can't wait to see it back in action.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

What if everyone could get a marker (plastic flagging, twist tie from the supermarket, etc.) from the cache that they put there name on w/ a permanent marker or something? Then each person sees the marker of the previous person on his/her way up. They could be small and hard to see from the ground so as not to attract attention. Then we could see everybodies progress. When you go to retrieve the 'winner' you could pull them all down and start over.

But I have to wonder how long it would last if the first person to come just goes to the top every time? Isn't that what would happen with a Margarita from fractal on the line?

quote:

...I'm thinking of having people email me for the combo, or solve a puzzle. Any thoughts on this or preference?

I'm up for another fractal puzzle. It would be nice if there was some way of verifying the combo without having to climb up, though.

Also, when I did the old Tree Hugger I had one or both hands hanging onto the tree at all times. So please make the access easy with one hand.

quote:
Originally posted by John E Cache:

I'm up for another fractal puzzle. It would be nice if there was some way of verifying the combo without having to climb up, though.

Also, when I did the old Tree Hugger I had one or both hands hanging onto the tree at all times. So please make the access easy with one hand.

I probably will do a puzzle, so I'll be sure and have some sort of 'checksum' for the combo(s).

As for easy access (opening the cache and such), can't make any big promises there, mostly because it's a weird container in a tree and there's naturally going to be some bit of awkwardness to it. I'll do what I can though icon_smile.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

...markers...

But I have to wonder how long it would last if the first person to come just goes to the top every time? Isn't that what would happen with a Margarita from fractal on the line?

Well.. Hopefully there will be some cachers that are afraid of heights so it won't go to the top so fast... Plus, it would be cheaper for me icon_wink.gif

But.. Just so everyone knows.. The Tungsten Jihad! has already told me that he's going to get there first and take the marker to the top... Anyone care to challenge him? icon_wink.gif

As for individual markers... Hmmmm.

I think I'll just keep it simple this time, and just have the one marker. The personal marker idea could work well in some other situations though icon_wink.gif

Thanks to everyone for the input... I'm finally going to start on the container tomorrow.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

Those fractal margaritas apparently come in the 40 oz. size, and they cost nineteen bucks. So yeah, it'll go pretty quickly.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:

Well.. _Hopefully_ there will be some cachers that are afraid of heights so it won't go to the top so fast... Plus, it would be cheaper for me icon_wink.gif

But.. Just so everyone knows.. _The Tungsten Jihad!_ has already told me that he's going to get there first and take the marker to the top... Anyone care to challenge him? icon_wink.gif

Well,I'm a tad lighter than The Tungsten Jihad! And I was the highest climber on the OLD Tree hugger, before fractal brought it back down to start it over and it was lost....I might just give him a challenge...although he is quite fearless........ icon_eek.gif Bob G.

What would keep someone from simply taking the whole container? If you're planning on using the same tree (as it sounds) it wouldn't be long before the locals knew there was somthing up there. I know when I was a kid a lock only meant somthing cool was inside.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

What would keep someone from simply taking the whole container? If you're planning on using the same tree (as it sounds) it wouldn't be long before the locals knew there was somthing up there. I know when I was a kid a lock only meant somthing cool was inside.

Yeah.. I know what you mean. I've had a really hard time finding another tree though. There is one a little less than a quarter of a mile from there, but it's pretty hard to get up into.

I think I might have found a good way to lock it up, and keep it pretty tamper-proof. I think the only reason that it got plundered last time was because a cacher had a local kid help him out. I'm hoping that it's been long enough for the kid to forget about the treasure in the tree. I also hope that people don't ask the local kids to help them out icon_wink.gif

-fractal

You could also use a padlock with side guards (so that bolt cutters are useless). Copy the keys and hide some of the keys in nearby caches. Attach a tag to the key with your cache ID number, then some one finds the key does the cache, afterwards they can either re-hide the key in a different cache or just pass it on at a meeting of cachers. Want to add extra credit, use a travel bug as your tag for the cache ID. As a travel bug the bug's page could have a description of what the key was for and tell cachers looking for a key where to find one. There would be no second guesing the answers and you would need to know more then where the cache was.

[This message was edited by Kusanagi on October 26, 2002 at 11:38 PM.]