Geocaching Meetup

WNCMama

I'm quite new to geocaching (only 22 smileys so far), but I am crazy about it! There is not a geocaching Meetup in my area yet, but a little bit of interest. I'd love to organize a gathering, but I have some questions.

What do you do when you gather with other geocachers? I'd like ours to be family centered as I have a tween and 2 small children. Do you search for caches together? Just meet to talk about geocaching? Some of both? More?

I appreciate any input!

I must admit, compared to others in this  forum, I am pretty inexperienced myself (only 207 finds) and I've only been to 1 event. However, I've been looking at events near me (wishing I could go) for a very long time. And I can tell you what they had planned.

- some meet at a nice bicycle or walking trail and do a planned walk/ride.

- some reserve a picnic shelter at a park and use the BBQ grill for burgers and food. 

- some do a CITO (Cash In Trash Out) where they all bring a garbage bag with them and pick up litter in a certain area while they are also looking for geocaches.

- some meet at a body of water (lake, river, etc) with canoes, kayaks, rowboats or whatever they've got and do a big paddling convoy

- some meet at a pub or winery and taste local beers or wines

- some organizers plan way ahead of their event/gathering and hide several caches for the attendees to find (the organizer should commit to maintain these caches for at least several months after the event so other folks can also enjoy them)

- some organizers just select a location for their event that already has several caches nearby, and attendees of their event meet up and go find those.

At any or all of these meetups, cachers can talk, share stories about caching, the veteran cachers can teach the newbies, those who also participate in the Trackables side game can trade and share their trackables.

The thing to remember with event caches is - like any other kind of cache, always get permission from whatever land manager or authority person you need to in order to hold a gathering somewhere. And always submit your event cache enough days ahead of time for the review folks to do their thing, and for the potential attendees to put in on their calendars and show up.

*edited to add: I forgot to mention, several geocaching events around here (especially recently) have been centered around watching some big, memorable event such as an eclipse, a meteor shower, or even a city fireworks show.

Edited by CascadeHandmade
  • Upvote 1

The helpful guideline info for Events in the Help Center might be good, as there's a fine line to caching after an event, and mentioning  "search for caches together" on an event page.    ;)

We've been to some awesome as well as some so-so events.   So-so (to us), or weekly/monthly events, we don't even log anymore.

CascadeHandmade listed a lotta good options.   :)   I like the "some of both" option myself.  Many here have similar other hobbies to us as well, so when friends are around, geocaching isn't the only subject.

Some odd reason, we see the most fun at meet n greet events at an ice cream joint with a pavilion outside.   Maybe it's that no one's stressed wondering what to bring, like  to a pot luck, and the kids are content while the big kids chat.   Easy to set up, and permission's usually a given.

- Just be sure you read those guidelines...

5 hours ago, WNCMama said:

What do you do when you gather with other geocachers? I'd like ours to be family centered as I have a tween and 2 small children. Do you search for caches together? Just meet to talk about geocaching? Some of both? More?

Most of the events I've attended have been simple meet-and-greets at a local restaurant, either reserving a room for the group, or meeting at the outdoor dining area where someone has grabbed a few tables for the event. A few have been at other venues (e.g., the picnic tables at a park, or a reserved room at a community center), and have been either potluck or bring-your-own-whatever. One first-time event organizer held one at a donut shop, and offered a free donut to anyone who mentioned what kind of donut they wanted in a Will Attend log.

Just wanted to mention to the OP that the earlier posts are specifying geocaching "Events" - which are events that are posted on geocaching.com.  Since Event Caches are posted on the website, then there are specific rules (see link from cerberus1).  "Event Caches" are not allowed if the purpose is to go find caches.

If you just want to organize a Meetup or other event that isn't listed on geocaching.com, then that is okay. You could meet with other cachers, through events not listed on geocaching.com, to go and find caches together.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear, since the OP is new to the hobby.  :)

12 hours ago, WNCMama said:

I'm quite new to geocaching (only 22 smileys so far), but I am crazy about it! There is not a geocaching Meetup in my area yet, but a little bit of interest. I'd love to organize a gathering, but I have some questions.

I appreciate any input!

Here's a list of upcoming events in NC.

The events we've been going to are "regular" monthly weekend breakfasts/brunches at family restaurants.  They've been going on for quite a while (we're the newcomers there), so the restaurant mgmt. gives them a back room/table cluster.  Folks eat & chat, "make the rounds" with old acquaintances & new, exchange TBs & info, and if anyone has anything to announce, they do so.  Lots of "cache-chatter".  One group has a kind of "raffle"--everyone brings something geocache-related, and there's a drawing until everything's gone (so essentially, everyone gets something).

After the event, some folks may break off into small groups to go caching--others go home or wherever...

Edited by RufusClupea