Garmin 64s vs 30x

MrMrsMouse

Dear all,

I'm wanting to get some advice on the Garmin GPSMAP 64s vs the Garmin eTrex 30x. My fiancé and I have recently moved to Europe and as such have started getting back into Geocaching after a break of a few years. We're also wanting to start getting into hiking - so the GPS would be for both activities.

Here I can get the 64s for approximately €255 vs the 30x for about €180 so the difference is €75 / $90.

Unfortunately there isn't much on the web about comparing these 2 models together and the info that is available is quite old. I've had a look at Garmin's site and on the surface the main differences are screen size, weight and battery life. I have seen that the 64s is more accurate due to its antenna, which I think is very important even if the display is a lower resolution. Also it seems that the 64s has a better and faster processor.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

They will both do the same things.  Accuracy will be the same.  The 64S processor is a bit faster.  The resolution on the 64S is horrible. The Oregons are a lot nicer.

Hi Red90 - thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately the Oregons are a little too pricey for me, especially as we're starting out. Perhaps I'll consider the cheaper 30x and then upgrade to an Oregon at a later stage... 

Will the accuracy be the same even without the helix antenna?

On 9/9/2017 at 8:31 AM, MrMrsMouse said:

Unfortunately there isn't much on the web about comparing these 2 models together and the info that is available is quite old.

AFAIK, nothing's changed in those two models, so even though the material is a few years old, it still applies.

There are some (IMO) significant differences--enough that tipped me in favor of the 64 series--but that's me.  I don't find any problems with the resolution on the 64 series.

What I did was read up & watch (Youtube) everything I could (reviews, ratings, comparisons) on the Garmin line, and then I plotted & notated everything on an Excel spreadsheet.  It made the choosing much easier, being able to see & compare everything right there in front of me, and I have NO regrets.  Obviously your criteria are different than mine or anyone else's. 

42 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:
On 9/9/2017 at 5:31 AM, MrMrsMouse said:

Unfortunately there isn't much on the web about comparing these 2 models together and the info that is available is quite old.

AFAIK, nothing's changed in those two models, so even though the material is a few years old, it still applies.

Depends on how many years old. The eTrex 30x was released in the summer of 2015, so information prior to that would not be helpful.

Did you ever make a decision on this?  I'm trying to decide on a new gps right now, as it seems it would be more accurate than using my iPhone for caching.  I'm drawn to the 64s or the etrex30x.  I've read the joystick navigator on the 30x can be a pain, but I'm attracted to the 30x because of its long battery life and light weight as I go on multi-day backpacking trips.  The 64s seems to be a solid buy and is a time proven platform, but doesn't have the battery life of the 30x.  I haven't been able to tell if both have WAAS capabilities or not (Garmin lists the 30x as a WAAS) unit.  It looks like many on the forum prefer the Oregon, so I guess I need to do some more research...

Accuracy no longer a factor with GPS units, all of them will get you to ground zero.  The Oregon's give you a touch screen and a larger screen. The Etrex series just feels good in your hand, perfect size for hiking. 64 is rugged as all get out plus performs well in the rain. I used a 62s on my bike trip a few years ago and it stood up to all the weather conditions. 

You won't go wrong with any Garmin handheld unit. 

• Upvote 1