62S

Ok,  I've been geocaching for 10 years now.  Started with a 60CSx (still got it) . After using PDA's and other means of getting hints, past logs, etc in the field, I bought a 62S.  I've had it for 2 years now and I don't like it for 2 main reasons.  Battery life is terrible, and I have all the goodies not needed turned off.  Screen times out in 1 minutes.   Replacing the batteries isn't the worst thing, but re-calibrating the 3 -axis compass is a real pain.   The 3rd axis has a success rate of about 30%.   I've looked at the Oregon line, but REI wants 400 for the one I want.  Which is a bit more than I wanna spend.  

Comments appreciated

On 9/9/2017 at 2:30 AM, HHL said:

The biggest part on draining the battery is having set up the map orientation to "Track up". That way the unit has to refresh the display every second. Set up the orientation to "North up".

Hans

I go a step further and use the Compass screen with a single large data field set to "Distance to Destination". Works well and uses much less power than the map screen.