live nude burls...

oregone

have nothing to do with this post, but it IS kind of a funny pun.

Anyway, laurencat and i had a lot of fun with bubble_ and slinger over the week using their FRS radios. So much fun, in fact, that i'm trying to figure out which ones to buy. But Amazon has over 200 choices. I know that a lot of you northwest geocachers have frs radios, so could ya give me some advice? Oh, and they have to be under $50.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I just saw this in Outside magazine..

A GPS and a FRS radio in one. You can see where the other person is (if they also have a rhino) Makes me wish I hadnt allready purchased a motorola. its called the RHINO by Garmin.

www.garmin.com

let me know the details.. I may purchase one/two.

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

$49.95, and of course no tax for you. You get a pair of motorolla's, 14 channel with charging stand and nickel cadium batteries. I spotted them at the Costco in Warrenton 2 weekends ago. I almost bought a set but bubble would have been mad. And they only had a pallet and a half left so you better hurry.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

But Amazon has over 200 choices.

Be very very careful buying anything from Amazon. They have increased there shipping and handling charges beyond any savings. Also if you order more than one item they'll attempt to charge S&H charges for each item. That recently happened to me. The web site indicated a single S&H charge for two items, which I thought was a little high. Then two e-mails later I realized that they were charging me the S&H charge for each item. Two $11.00 items were going to cost me $42.00.

I know this is off topic, but thought you might like to know.

Byron

I would check Wal-Mart... Stuff always seems to be cheap there. I've also seen some good deals on them at Target as well. And usually, the more you pay, the better quality of the product, but not always...

I have a Motorola and have no complaints...

Make sure it uses all 14 channels and all 38 codes... Other than that, I'm not sure of what other details to look for...

Let us know if/when you get some.

-fractal

Try "mysimon.com" and search for "FRS radio." It supposedly finds the best prices on the web for your search category. When I searched for "FRS radio" just now, it came up with 171 different ones. The site lists merchant, merchant rating, product manufacturer, price, etc. Also check out gotapex.com and click on "deals" to find good specials from different websites. We've found some great deals through both these sites.

On the other hand, we have also ordered TONS of stuff through Amazon and never been disappointed. Just do your homework ahead of time. You can choose several different shipping methods. Just be aware before you click/place your order. Making shipments in the fewest shipments possile will reduce your shipping cost, but could greatly increase your shipment time. Shipping your order(s) as they become available will increase your shipping charge, but you'll receive your items as they become available. We have never felt burned by Amazon. We were o.k. paying a (small) charge for the convenience of not having to run all over town for a product, especially if know exactly what you want.

quote:
Originally posted by soup:

A GPS and a FRS radio in one. You can see where the other person is (if they also have a rhino)

Like a baby monitor and tracking device in one? sounds kinda scary.... i don't think i would ever want someone watching where i am WITH the ability to page me over a radio and say "Hey, aren't you supposed to be making me a chicken pot pie???". But, hey, that's just me.

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

are what I have and they're great. Never had any problems with them and always exceptional range and clarity. They're a couple of years old now, so they've probably been replaced with newer fancier models but they still work great.

As another poster said, make sure you get a radio with all 14 channels and 1/2watt of power. Some of the cheaper ones don't give you all channels and don't have the full power allowed by law. One thing to remember about the 'sub-channels' (48 privacy codes) is that anyone without a subcode (code zero) can hear your transmissions regardless of what subcode you're on.

Let me clarify that last point. Say your talking on channel 6, with a privacy code of 9, you will only other users on channel 6, code 9. BUT if someone has a radio without privacy codes, or programs in privacy code zero they can hear your transmissions. I'm not sure if you can hear them, as I've never tried it that way.

If you want to spend a few extra bucks you can look into getting a GMRS (general mobile radio service) radio. It has more channels (23, but shares the first 14 with FRS) and more power (5watts, compaired to 1/2w) therefor more range. It does however require an FCC license to use.

more info at...

FRS:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/prs/famrad.html

GMRS:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/prs/genmbl.html

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

[This message was edited by Gloom on August 14, 2002 at 05:13 PM.]

quote:
Like a baby monitor and tracking device in one? sounds kinda scary.... i don't think i would ever want someone watching where i am WITH the ability to page me over a radio and say "Hey, aren't you supposed to be making me a chicken pot pie???". But, hey, that's just me.

Just so you know, you can't track other *RINO* units. The only way someone would be able to know your position, is if you sent them the coords from your radio.

I've heard the RINO's are hard to come by, wont' really be available until this fall. I'd also be very curious what the battery life is like on the RINO unit when using all the features...not a big deal for day geocaching, but for prolonged wilderness jaunts, this would be good to know.

On that note, I reccomend buying an FRS unit that allows you to access the NOAA weather frequencies, this always comes in handy. GMRS is a fancy option as well, and I really dont' think you have to register with the FCC icon_wink.gif

I know you can also purchase a High-Band radio, basically a portable HAM, and program in all the FRS channels. You can find these for about $80, and the customization options are far greater than that of an FRS. And if you get HAM certified, Oh the places you'll go.

gapertimmy

GAPER!

[This message was edited by gapertimmy on August 19, 2002 at 03:06 PM.]

I've heard the RINO's are hard to come by, wont' really be available until this fall. I'd also be very curious what the battery life is like on the RINO unit when using all the features...not a big deal for day geocaching, but for prolonged wilderness jaunts, this would be good to know.

On that note, I reccomend buying an FRS unit that allows you to access the NOAA weather frequencies, this always comes in handy. GMRS is a fancy option as well, and I really dont' think you have to register with the FCC icon_wink.gif

I know you can also purchase a High-Band radio, basically a portable HAM, and program in all the FRS channels. You can find these for about $80, and the customization options are far greater than that of an FRS. And if you get HAM certified, Oh the places you'll go.

gapertimmy

GAPER!

[This message was edited by gapertimmy on August 19, 2002 at 03:06 PM.]

I second the Costo Motorola pack that was suggested. Hard to beat for the price.

The RHINO radio would be great when you are going out to meet someone 'at the lake' or wherever. While trying to hook up with some friends at the Boise River Festival our conversation went like this.

"We are at the band stand"

"Which one, there are three?"

"The one by the sprint display..."

"Um we are by the one with the fritos's stand..."

Needless to say a GPS would of helped.

'I don't know where I am but try these coordinats..."