No USA in PQs?

RufusClupea

2 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

Why is there no United States or USA in the country choices?

Germany isn't there either. As for "why", it's because there are so many caches in these countries. If those countries were easy options, people would be too tempted to use them even when they didn't need to, causing significant load on the PQ servers. As I posted above, you can multi-select states to get the same result, but the impact is lower because most people won't take the time to do that.

The PQ functionality was designed many years ago at a time when a far higher percentage of the world's geocaches were hidden in the United States.  Querying for all caches in Germany or the Czech Republic in 2003 wasn't an issue of server resources, but a search across all of the USA would have been.  At that time, there were far fewer hamsters, and some of them were rather sickly.  They've since passed on.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, The A-Team said:

...or select all the individual states to effectively get the same as if you had United States as an option.

I wasn't aware that was an option.  I'd tried that before, and selecting subsequent states cancelled out the first state selected.  It isn't exactly intuitive (or explained anywhere that I recall), but I finally figured out that one has to press CTRL to select additional states.

That accomplishes what I wanted, so thanks for the hint.

Edited by RufusClupea
5 hours ago, RufusClupea said:

[..] It isn't exactly intuitive (or explained anywhere that I recall),[...]

It's exactly the same way you'll select files in Explorer (or in Finder). Shift-click/Shift-click for selecting files (here: states) in a row or Ctrl-click/ctrl-click for selecting files not in a row. Not really rocket science that should be explained in detail.

Hans

Edited by HHL