Kelowna Cache Machine

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes. If you think you've seen this all before, focus on the unique-to-this-event information in red.

(Link to dinner event cache will be announced soon)

Kelowna BC: The Gateway to the Okanagan Valley. Let's go caching.

So fill up the tank, find your passport, grab your gear, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route at GC465P1, Creekside Tub, on Saturday, September 23 at 6:30 AM. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's tentatively at The Canadian Brewhouse and Grill (kids welcome), 3030 Pandosy St, Kelowna (49.8626, -119.4915). It will be listed as an event cache; once it's live, I'll link in the comments below. Please log your "will attends" on the event page so I can let the restaurant know how many to expect.

Note that some caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon icon_disabled.gif. Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought during the cache machine. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally unwise, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt. When someone asks what you're doing, the right answer is honesty: "geocaching".

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "KCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 50 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Kelowna Cache Machine FAQ:

Why's this being posted so late? Why's this route so slipshod compared to previous cache machines?

Life's gotten in the way, both business and pleasure. I've kinda gotten this down to a routine, though, so maybe you won't notice I did this at the last minute.

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, September 23, 2017. Start time is 6:30 a.m. at GC465P1, Creekside Tub.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up. If you want to go off-route to find Munzees, letterboxes, Pokémon, portals, confluences, or Starbucks, well, you do you.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

Nothing planned this time. A pre-event dinner might come up; check the comments below.

Hey, why aren't we getting that one?

My standard answer here is that I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. I'm also skipping caches that just seem at first glance to be a little lame, because there's so many caches and so little time. Most of the caches on this route have at least 15 favorite points.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park. // Hey, that road doesn't exist! // What's with making us ford the creek?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it your fix into the route.

Why does the route go way past the dinner time? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, try to remember where they were, look at the old logbook signatures, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Maybe pass your phone number around for us to call when we get stumped.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a long hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or may check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area. // My cache is physically fragile and I don't want it broken.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 50 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Wildfire? Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding? Rattlesnakes?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Red car icons show places to park a car for a short time (usually a trailhead).

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

My first draft of the route is here. If you're familiar with the area, please take a look and let me know if I've done something dumb, like making people walk across a freeway or river, or worse, sent them into a wildfire.

The event page will be up as soon as I get confirmation from the restaurant, which could be a few days.

I was so looking forward to this CM, but plans have changed.  We were going to Israel/Jordan in May and Alaska in Aug/Sept ending with this event.  My Mother-in-law got sick just a couple of days before the Israel trip, so we cancelled last minute.  We were able to reschedule, but that means we return the day of the CM (which also meant we pushed the Alaxka trip to next year, adding to a cross US/Canada trip that will take out a couple of other CMs!).  Ah, the problems with a retired life... :P:D I hope everyone has a fun time up in BC, but I have to go pack as we leave on Saturday.

Rats! We also will not be able to attend and I was soooo looking forward to it.  Got our passports renewed, got enhanced DLs.   We just got back from a 20-day Eclipse/Utah NP tour in 95 to 105 temps, limping van with water in the gas tank from a flaky gas station in either Maupin or Fossil, Oregon, and too many outside projects to do before the rains set in.  We are even cancelling our Ice Age Floods Institute annual meeting and field trip in Sun Lake/Grand Coulee the week after Kewlona.  Will be back on-line for Grays Harbor.

Poor Travis didn't have any locals to scrub his route this time, so there are some caches with multiple DNFs. I took a look at the 11 caches with 2+ DNFs, and below are my findings. At least two (46, 59) appear missing for sure, and 15 sounds pretty gnarly, but two (77, 87) had recent CO checks and are good to go.

We look forward to hearing the true status of these caches from AndrewRJ and LandRover at Friday dinner.  ;)

GC1F2ND                           015 - Secluded Waterfall                         

Hasn't been found since 5/14 (3+years). 3 DNFs since indicate bushwhacking, a creek crossing, and skunk cabbage. Last DNF was 8/15; didn't find it using hint.

GC45NNW                           020 - Bear Poo                         

2 DNFs but no confirmed evidence it's missing.

GC68G1J                           023 - Springbok Special                         

3 DNFs in past three months.

GC495KA                           044 - Come Jam With Me                         

2 DNFs in past two months.

GC4Q1C4                           045 - Graffiti in the Park...                         

4 DNFs since May.

GC68JPM                           046 - Happy New Year 3                         

3 DNFs, indications that tree trimming removed hanging cache. Hasn't been found since 8/16.

GC5NNDR                           059 - Don't Hate the Cache, Hate the CO...

10 DNFs. Hasn't been found since 4/16. Strong suspicions this one's gone. ;)

GC679P8                           071 - In Here                         

3 DNFs since July.

GC44GG2                           077 - To Err Is Human                         

Owner check on 9/18 - good to go. 2 DNFs before that.  CO sez "not a typical container."

GC4G6YN                           087 - Caching the Beyond the Green Machine                        

Owner check on 9/18 - good to go. 3 DNFs before that.

GC43DBM                           090 - Beach Access #7                         

2 DNFs this month (one group, tho).

• Upvote 1