Hiding a cache - in a commercial business lot?

Robester0

Some of the caches in the area are, in some way, located in commercial business parking lots.  Not retail sites, but rather professional buildings such as medical or other office areas.   In trying to decipher the rules, it doesn't seem prohibited, but every time I go find one of these, I feel like I'm trespassing since I'm not an employee of the location.

Is there a general rule for when it is or is not appropriate to hide a cache in such a location?   Asking because even where I work, there's a great story about the company I could tell in a cache or two, and easily hidden and accessible from the road or coming into the parking lot a bit.   I realize i can ask my employer, but that will go nowhere because no one will understand what this whole geocache thing is all about anyway.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Robester0

Every cache is supposed to have land manager permission. When you make a cache listing, you check a box that says you have followed the rules, one of which is getting permission to place the cache.

In reality, not every cache has permission to be there.

It's hard to tell the difference out in the world. If a cache location makes you uncomfortable, don't look for that cache. :)

So yes, you'd need permission. Another problem you might run into is that you aren't supposed to do any commercial promotion in the cache listing.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Robester0 said:

there's a great story about the company I could tell in a cache or two

Link for reference:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=22&pgid=475

I'm sure it's a great story, but you might want to review the Commercial portion of the Guidelines before going to the trouble of writing it up.  I think TriciaG answered the other aspect of your question adequately.

Yeah it's not so much about 'commercial business' as it is about 'private property'. Whether it's a mall plaza parking lot or a dentist's parking lot, both are private property.  The commercial aspect is more regarding content of the cache description and whether the cache is promoting a business or not.