Travelbugs and Geocaching App

kayakdannj

Ever since a newer update on the Geocaching app, you can no longer have a bug visit the cache to log miles. Am I missing something or is it not available anymore. Using a android/S7 and the official app. Almost makes me want to just discover a bug and leave it in the cache instead of picking it up and helping it on it's way. Too much work to log back in and edit a find to add the bug visit.

3 hours ago, kayakdannj said:

Ever since a newer update on the Geocaching app, you can no longer have a bug visit the cache to log miles. Am I missing something or is it not available anymore. Using a android/S7 and the official app. Almost makes me want to just discover a bug and leave it in the cache instead of picking it up and helping it on it's way. Too much work to log back in and edit a find to add the bug visit.

To move a TB in a way that tells its travel story, you first make a Retrieve log and post the story and photos for the cache where you found it.  Next place it into a cache container and select the "Drop" log option while making a cache log, and mention placing the TB and post pictures in reference to its new cache home.  Then go to the TB's page and edit the Drop log and post its story and pictures about the TB itself (but no publishing of the Tracking Number).  Three separate logs, each with their own photos.  Those are a lot of actions that an App won't automatically do, and probably can't do. You do that on the web site using a web browser, but it also involves photo editing first.   And those are the actions to just take and place it into a cache. It's a lot of work to do it in a way that TB Owners appreciate.  Many cachers don't even care, and they fail to make the logs, they would never even consider doing half of the above, and special App features aren't needed for not making decent logs.  Automatically logging robotic "Visits" forevermore, creates new issues for TB Owners -- see their concerns right here in these Forums.

If you take a TB from a cache and there's a log issue, the Apps can't handle it.  There are a bunch of reasons it may not be possible to automatically log it.  Or with one simple click, it automatically creates a tangled mess, or this time simply balks at doing any log when before all it took was one click.  It would be like the "Automatic Visit" feature, but even more work for somebody else to clean up later.

So, yeah, unless I'm prepared to do all the hard work to unscramble a TB's messed up logs, I often log a Discover instead and leave it in its cache.  If I have committed myself to the extra work, I never use an "App" for that.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, kayakdannj said:

Is Retrieve on a trackable once really "too much work" compared to visiting every cache you find before you drop it?

If you're talking about the "Auto Visit"  function, IIRC  many didn't  realize there was an on/off function, and the numerous complaints from TOs helped get that function causing so many issues fixed in this new app.  

I hope it stays that way, thanks.  :)

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, noncentric said:

To address the OP's question - it IS possible to log TB visits using the official Geocaching app.  You can see instructions in the Help Center HERE.

I tried it just now on iPhone and Android, and it's working. The "Visit" button is grayed-out until you first select a cache.  But follow that link, to see the steps.

Edited by kunarion

I would love it if when you log a TB in the field, whether visiting, dropping or retrieving, that it would post with the correct date.  Every time, no matter what time of day, it always defaults to the next day.  Then I have to go back and essentially log each TB event for the second time, to correct the date.  I know I can log them from the web page, or wait until I get home, and do the same.  But I like to do it while I'm at the cache so I don't forget.  Yes, it's a small thing, but it's something I'd like to see fixed.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I know the you can log trackable with the app. What I was talking about was when logging a cache you used to be able to have a tackable "visit" or "drop" while logging the cache on the app. I am aware of the dreaded auto visit feature that was on the app. I think it would be nice to have the options there on the logging process to drop or visit the trackables in your inventory.

I agree with above - it was great on the old app when we could easily drop/visit trackables whilst logging the cache.  Having to do it separately and write a note each time is time consuming and frustrating when out and about and wanting to log caches quickly.  I notice on the website we can do it.