Can a LIST be mapped?

geoScott's

It can be on the official app by clicking on the ellipses next to the list name and choosing "View on map". I haven't figured out a way to do it on a proper computer though, even though I really would like to.  Seems like a glaring shortcoming of this feature.  You can map search results though by clicking the "Map these Geocaches" button.  Depending on how I have created the list, this sometimes will serve the purpose.  You can do what on4bam says creating a pocket query, but I can only get this to work from the old list page.

Using the official app: Click on "Lists", then the "..." to the right of the list name, then "View on Map".  This will show the caches on a map view, but doesn't help with printing. You could screenshot the map view and then email that image to yourself so you have a printable file.

Using the Lists webpage:

• 'new' Lists webpage: Click on the "..." to the right of the list name, then "Create Pocket Query"
  • 'old' Lists webpage: Click "Create Pocket Query" to the right of the list name

Both of these will take you to 'Bookmark Pocket Query' page.  Enter a query name (could be the same as the list name) and click "Submit Information" at the bottom of the page. You'll then be able to view the caches by clicking "preview the search here" at the top of the page and then "Map this Location". When you have PQ's, you can view them on the browsing map by clicking on Pocket Queries in the left menu slide-out.  You can then print from your web browser or take a Print Screen to create an image file.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, thebruce0 said:

My strategy is to create the PQ, then preview it on the map. You don't have to execute the PQ either, the preview is sufficient to view the results. And you can bookmark the map preview page if you want.

That's my preferred method as well.  Creating a PQ from a list doesn't make a lot of sense to me because a list is static.  To me, one of the primary benefits of a PQ is that the results may change every time its executed.  

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Creating a PQ from a list doesn't make a lot of sense to me because a list is static.  To me, one of the primary benefits of a PQ is that the results may change every time its executed.  

I use list-based PQs differently from the way I use radius-based PQs. Some (like my solved unfound puzzles list) could be replaced by the new search functionality, if the new search functionality had a way to produce something I could download. Some are created for specific trips that have specific goals. But I also use radius-based PQs when I want to download whatever is current in a specific area.

20 hours ago, niraD said:
22 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Creating a PQ from a list doesn't make a lot of sense to me because a list is static.  To me, one of the primary benefits of a PQ is that the results may change every time its executed.  

I use list-based PQs differently from the way I use radius-based PQs. Some (like my solved unfound puzzles list) could be replaced by the new search functionality, if the new search functionality had a way to produce something I could download

Agreed.  If we could download a list from the results of a search we wouldn't need to create a PQ from the list.  In order for that to happen though, the search page (or more accurately, the FIlters overlay) would have to use the same criteria available on the PQ creation page.   

Here is how I see it.  A Pocket Query is not just the file one is able to download which contains a list of waypoints in GPX format.  A PQ consists of three parts.  1:)  A form for entering search criteria.  2)  The ability to save that search criteria and schedule it to be periodically executed.  3)  A downloadable GPX file containing the results of a query.

If the new search had all the criteria available that the PQ search page has (e.g. the ability to filter by attributes or date placed range) the new search page could essentially replace the PQ search page.  Then a user could *optionally* save the search criteria and schedule it for periodic execution.   The results of any search would be a list, which could be mapped and/or downloaded as a GPX file.   Going further, if the maps page supported all the filters available in the current search page and PQ search page, it could be used to create the search criteria rather than just using a forum for radius searches.