Pocket Query Coordinates

brendan714

Hi, I have a problem.  I'm thinking of hiding a cache in a cache-dense area of my city.  What I usually do (to make sure there aren't any puzzles or multis with proximity issues) is I run a pocket query of all caches (whether I've found them or not).  This gives me a map showing all the caches - I can put it in my GPSr, go out into the field, and measure 161m to the nearest cache to make sure I'm not having proximity issues.

The problem - puzzles that I've solved and found now appear on the pocket query at the posted coordinates.  They used to all show up at the corrected coordinates.  This really makes hiding a cache a nightmare because I can't plot all of the corrected (actual cache) coordinates on a map and figure out where my cache can go.  

Weird... it looks like my puzzles caches with corrected coordinates show up at the corrected location.  Is this because I haven't logged a 'found it' on them (and finding would shoot it back to the posted coords)?

Help?  This seems like a bug?

No, there's got to be something wrong here.  I hope?!  Otherwise I'd have to blindly shoot at a blank space of the map, email the reviewer, get notice that I'm within proximity of a puzzle cache I've already found, rinse, repeat....

Is there an easier or different way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?  Is there a switch to make found caches appear at their corrected coordinates instead of the posted?

(Aside: making caches appear at the posted coordinates is useless apart from those in a geo-art series.  It's much more helpful in my opinion to always have them appear at the corrected location.)

6 hours ago, brendan714 said:

Is there an easier or different way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

I was expecting something like this to happen and I was not surprised when I saw your question. I am a bit annoyed, because I was already accustomed to new tools and now they are worthless.

It all depends on what tools you have. For example, I am prepared to this by using a mobile application which does not move caches back to the posted coordinates. It is handy outdoors when hiding a cache, but when I am solving a mystery and want to check, if there is any caches too near from my solution, it is not practical. I was used to jump to Advanced Search by coordinates which immediatelly showed, if there is any cache nearby. Now it is worthless.

Edited by arisoft

Are you talking about downloading the PQ or previewing it on the map? I just ran a query with a combination of found, unfound, corrected and uncorrected coordinates. Downloading the caches and viewing the map in GSAK. The caches with corrected coordinates, both found and unfound, showed up at the corrected coordinates. Previewing the query on the website. The found cache with corrected coordinates showed up at the posted coordinates. Unfound showed at the corrected coordinates. It would be nice to have a switch and let us decide where the caches show up.

5 hours ago, arisoft said:

I found one possible solution. My Finds Pocket Query still contains corrected coordinates. It is worth downloading soon, because pretty sure, this "geo-art first" mentality is also spreading there at some day.

Interesting, I will be sure to do this!  This may actually solve some of my problems...

Thanks!

5 hours ago, JPatton said:

Are you talking about downloading the PQ or previewing it on the map? I just ran a query with a combination of found, unfound, corrected and uncorrected coordinates. Downloading the caches and viewing the map in GSAK. The caches with corrected coordinates, both found and unfound, showed up at the corrected coordinates. Previewing the query on the website. The found cache with corrected coordinates showed up at the posted coordinates. Unfound showed at the corrected coordinates. It would be nice to have a switch and let us decide where the caches show up.

I don't use GSAK.  Yes, I'm having issues with found caches with corrected coordinates appearing at the posted coordinates.  I agree that giving us a switch would be an excellent tool.