GSAK not sending caches to Oregon 650

ChillFire12

I am sure this has been asked somewhere, and I have somewhat searched, but my frustration level is going over the top. I have run a in a 49.5 mile radius around my home location and successfully pulled up well below my daily limit of downloads, but they do NOT transfer to my Oregon 650. I have caches in hundreds of other locations successfully transferred. But this one search, the one I really want, will NOT go to my device. I know there are ways to move folders and GP* something files, I don't understand how to do all that, and I am getting really frustrated. We were out today for 8 hours and had to cell phone cache a lot of our route because here I was thinking I was all prepared, and nothing transferred. I just ran the same thing 8 times. Nothing is working :( Can someone walk me through this before I flip out?

Edited by TumbleweedDeb

It doesn't make sense..More detail is needed on what exactly you're doing.

Via "geocaching.com" menu "get geocaches" you are getting caches near you via API? Right?

Do they show in GSAK?

How do you export? Via "GPS" and the "Export"?

Which Windows version do you use? With the GPS connected, open the file explorer and go to the Oregon650 and then Garmin/GPX folder and look which files are there.

Yes, I go to maps via geocaching.com, and get geocaches. I then view on a map within a 49.5 mile radius. There are over 500 within that radius. They then generate 50 at a time, but do not go into my GSAK database or whatever. I do not even click on export because with my GPSr attached to computer, it just automatically transferred over. I am on Windows 10. And I did what you said, looking at that GPX folder and there are no individual files. And the only caches that are showing on my GPSr are batches of 500 in other radius areas I generated, not my home area.

I am using GSAK, I have been saying that....I am trying to put caches onto my GPSr via GSAK. You seemed to have understood and even said what I am doing, I am going to "geocaching.com access" and then "get geocaches" and then click on the Google map button to visual SEE a 49.5 radius, then click on "return coordinates,", then it checks my API count, all is fine, and begins generating GPX files, but nothing is showing up in that area, or going to my device.

Ok... After getting the caches you should see you should see a "load summary" where you can see how many caches were loaded and how many were added and so on.

At that moment (after clicking OK) you should see the list of caches in your active database.

When you click "google map" do you see the circle around your home location? If not click "Move circle to map center" when the map shows you home in the center of the map, THEN click "return coordinates". If you just know your home coordinates you can fill them in without going through the google map.

A 49.5 Mile radius should give you a lot of caches so you may try a smaller radius. If I select 80 Km (50 miles) I get 18000+ caches.

Edited by on4bam

I see the load summary. I am getting 500. And yes, I understand how to put a circle around my home location :P It is working everywhere but here, and there are a plethora of caches around my area. They all show on the GC app, just not in GSAK. I have already played with radius numbers. Nothing is making this work.

Loading caches in GSAK and Exporting caches to your GPS are TWO DIFFERENT steps.

It seems you are doing only the first step: loading the caches into GSAK; that gives you a correct summary.

After you have loaded the caches in GSAK, you have to export these caches to your GPS.
Exporting is done either by GPS-send waypoints, or by File-export-GPX or by a special Macro for your GPS

• Upvote 1

I'm still not sure the exact problem is described probably because you don't (yet) understand how the program works. My guess is that Kalkendotters hit the nail on the head. Getting caches via API into GSAK does NOTHING to caches on your GPS.

Consider GSAK as a database of caches, you import them (PQ or API) make selections or filter what/where you want to go caching and the EXPORT to your GPS. Before that last step NOTHING changes on your GPS, no caches are loaded automatically.

Keep using GSAK (the more the better) and you will find it a tool you can't do without anymore but there is a learning curve. After 11 years of using this software I still learn new things about it and discover new macro's to make life easier. It's not like today's simple apps that you know how to use in minutes.

Thanks for all the response, mostly on4bam, for hanging in there and not being a something other than nice <3 I had my local person on this, and while I know basics, it was weird just not getting this little radius. He figured it out. And yeah, I am still learning this big wonderful program GSAK, but there was a weird that I was getting ALL around everything BUT my home radius. We got it. No wait, my friend did. I am just here to say thanks  on4bam <3

On 9/4/2017 at 5:21 AM, Kalkendotters said:

Loading caches in GSAK and Exporting caches to your GPS are TWO DIFFERENT steps.

It seems you are doing only the first step: loading the caches into GSAK; that gives you a correct summary.

After you have loaded the caches in GSAK, you have to export these caches to your GPS.
Exporting is done either by GPS-send waypoints, or by File-export-GPX or by a special Macro for your GPS

We got hung up in a step in there, we knew it...it was just for a macro glitch, but done with that.....but that is where you are right <3 Thanks so much!

After reading tumbleweeded problems,,thought I would give a comment on the Oregon 650t. We bought one and had nothing but problems with it..would not load. Spent hours with them on phone,,we sent it back and they sent us another one...and yet again the problem was the same,,would load using gsak....then would quit working saying "no results found try adjusting parameters"....after wasting another couple hours on phone with no fix...they told us that gsak should not be used because it's a third party and will corrupt your gps...so just a warning for users that they said if it happens again they will not cover warranty.

13 minutes ago, T.lyonsroar said:

they told us that gsak should not be used because it's a third party and will corrupt your gps...

That's BS and just a way of covering their ... you know what.

I use GSAK for 11 years and loaded my Colorado 300 and Oregon600 with it for years. Never had any problem loading caches as GPX (Colorado) or GGZ (Oregon).

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, T.lyonsroar said:

[...] hey told us that gsak should not be used because it's a third party and will corrupt your gps...[...]

That's nuts and just show the silliness and boldness of the Garmin reps.

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 1