Need recommdation on place to hold an event in Salem

SirKarp

Hi there, We will be visiting Salem Massachusetts during the first week in October, we are coming from Washington state and thought that it would be fun to hold an event preferably in Salem or very close by.  We'd love to meet some local cachers, share stories and swap TB's from across the country, but in order to do that we need to have good place to hold an event, and hopefully there will be a few folks able to make recommendations.  I'm not sure what the weather typically is in Salem during early October, but we'd be open to a restaurant or a park.   We will also be there during the week, so some place we can hold the event later in the day like late afternoon when folks could come after work, would be best.   l  At one point we thought we had a place but that didn't work out.  So I'm open to ideas. 

Thanks,
SirKarp

Thanks for the post and suggestion.  It's funny here in Washington state the subforums arent exactly hopping anymore but they are still active.  The good news is on the mean time since my post my caching partner did a little research and I contacted a couple of cachers, than own caches in the area and one of them made several suggestions.  So I have list of restaurants to call tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again 

Sirkarp 

You may have another problem with the recent change/clarification of guidelines:

• Vacation/holiday events are usually not published because they are difficult to organize in advance. It's best to organize events in your area so you can respond quickly to emerging needs. In rare circumstances a vacation event with an acceptable event plan might be published.

I'm really not sure what to say.  I had never heard of the rule that Rufusclupea quotes.  In fact I went and read the event guidelines and I could not find that quote or anything to that effect, so Rufusclupea if your still following this thread I'd be curious to know where the quote comes from.  As I'm from the Seattle are not to far from where the annual going ape event is held I wondered how so many folks got away with their vacation events around the ape event.  It's not uncommon here for there to be a few events leading up to the APE event hosted by out of towners.  I don't know perhaps I missed something in guidelines but I'm happy it has been published. 

Thanks,

SirKarp

Rufus took it out of context of a discussion around the Guideline update thread:

It was intended to be a suggestion to reword a portion of the update that people were confused about.  The suggested "fix" was by far more confusing than the original intent of the update, which was to discourage Events in secure areas of transportation hubs, such as in airport terminal areas that are controlled by TSA, and therefore only open to ticketed passengers.  Which has absolutely no relevance to your situation.   Have a great Event.  Sounds like a fun area to visit.

Interesting thank you for pointing that thread out to me.  Make sense as to why I don't see it in the guidelines then.  I believe it will be a fun area to visit and since it appears you have read the event page you know at least a little bit of our story and I'm sure you can see why we want to visit. 

Thanks,

SirKarp

Yeah, I apologize profusely for that... muck-up.  I just spent 1/2 hr trying to find it myself (before seeing Touchstone's explanation), and came to the same discovery/conclusion myself.  I think what happened was that I must have thought it was part of the new guidelines, and that I had missed it in the OP (about the changes to guidelines).  It's really not like me to quote something like that secondhand in lieu of source.

Again, I apologize.  I hope it's apparent that I've been trying to help from the beginning.  Here's to your event being a unqualified success!  What I remember of Salem (albeit several decades ago, when I lived/worked near there) is that it's an extremely cool place--the witch stuff notwithstanding.  My fave back then was the House of the Seven Gables (love the classic flick too--Vincent Price vs. George Sanders--two of the biggest hams in history!)

Hope you'll have enough time to take in some of what MA/New England have to offer.

Please come back & give us an update of how things go (went)!

Edited by RufusClupea