Buying a Garmin Drive system

ChillFire12

Hi Yall! I am recently back to S. AZ, where there are LOTS of back dirt roads I am ready to explore and re-do :) I also want to honor the hands free of my state, and looking to upgrade to the best Garmin Drive that is also to incorporate into geocaching. I have an Oregon 650, and while I love the little straight line, its not good for driving. Recommendations, please. Want to buy tonight for a big weekend blitz...but carrying on into the future, I am a map JUNKIE and a data geek. I want it all. Please advise which is the best and latest that also is GSAK friendly, as I don't know the ins and outs of other ways to import cache data :/

In my opinion, one of the best automotive GPS devices available at the present time is the factory refurbished Garmin DriveLuxe 50LMTHD ($149.95 at gpscity.com). It is the top of the line model from the 2016 series. Note that Garmin Factory refurbs have the full 1 year warranty, same as new devices.

The Garmin automotive GPS are great. They're less great for geocaching because of the way they handle waypoints and GPX files. Unless Garmin changed the way the Drive series works, you couldn't just plug a Nuvi into the computer and delete waypoints (geocaches) loaded directly from a GPX. They had to be deleted manually from the unit one at a time. The workaround was to load them as points of interest (POIs). But that's a pain in the neck too. I guess GSAK makes this process easier if that's an option for you.

The result is that I don't use my Nuvi for geocaching. Instead I upgraded to an Oregon 600 which has a nuvi-style dashboard for automotive navigation, and loaded a routable map on it. I use that for vehicle navigation to geocaches and trailheads. For me, it's a better workflow just to use one unit. 

Agreed ... the Garmin automotive devices are wonderful for street navigation, but they are definitely not the right tool for Geocaching or off road activities. That said, they are great for getting you to the best parking spot to start your geocaching adventure with your handheld device or smart phone app.