Viewing Past Trackables.

Cpt_Pugwash

Hi, bit of a newbie question here.

I'm a bit puzzled regarding the 'View Past Trackables' link on the RHS of a cache listing.  I'd assumed that it was a list of trackables which had previously been dropped in or visited that particular cache.  However, I seem to get a list of recently active trackables, most having nothing to do with the cache in question, some not even in the same country.

Is that how the link is supposed to work, or is it just me being thick (as usual :-)  )

Thanks for your help.

Your assumption is correct, that the trackables were logged into (or visited) the cache at some point.  The particular log may be pages back in any given trackable's logs.  Also, these things are rarely mentioned by name or reference number, in the cache log where the drop or visit occurred.

Edited by kunarion

Just checked that particular cache, and as you did, found 12 entries. I will try to find some of the other logs which gave rise to the query, IIRC there were sometimes 2 or 3 pages of entries.

Edit.  Just checked GC46ECP where I dropped a TB earlier this year (13th entry).  It returns 240 records ( 12 pages )

Edited by Cpt_Pugwash
5 minutes ago, Cpt_Pugwash said:

Just checked that particular cache, and as you did, found 12 entries. I will try to find some of the other logs which gave rise to the query, IIRC there were sometimes 2 or 3 pages of entries.

The "View Past Trackables" link shows the location where the Trackable is currently listed, and the most recent log date.  That could be a little confusing if you expect it to show the information about the Trackable when it was logged into the cache.

Thanks for the replies, I think I understand now.  The query arose when  I found a laminated card in The Cache of Destiny (GC1Q32Y) near Warminster recently. No trackable was attached and I was trying to use the 'View Past Trackables' list to identify the missing TB to re-unite the card with its TB.

tb 006.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Pugwash
19 minutes ago, Cpt_Pugwash said:

Thanks for the replies, I think i understand now.  The query arose when  I found a laminated card in The Cache of Destiny (GC1Q32Y) near Warminster recently. No trackable was attached and I was trying to use the 'View Past Trackables' list to identify the missing TB to re-unite the card with its TB?

tb 006.jpg

You might ask cachers listed on that card:

https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=5fdcb01d-3f81-4aa5-b02e-040b760b8553

https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=03b0194e-13c1-4845-a55f-c3154f2da56e

Here's one of the trackables that might be in that race:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=6193451

Here's another:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5124671

I haven't found either one having a log in that cache yet (GC1Q32Y).  Maybe it was from another nearby cache.

Edited by kunarion

Yes, I did PM the cacher who made the log entry relating to dropping a TB, with no reply. I also PM'd  Plumbguy who kindly sent this reply.

" Hi , thanks for the message , at present the tag should be in cache
https://coord.info/GC4Y730
I can't tell if this is near you as I only have my phone to hand as we are staying in Portugal attending the Mega event at the moment !!
If it is relatively easy for you to reunite the laminate with the tag that would be great , if not don't worry too much , but thanks for trying 

so I still have the laminate in my possession. When I checked,  GC4Y730 had no TB in its inventory, and I could not work out an identity from the Past Trackables list. 

Thanks again for all your help.

Edit.  I can see it in the list now, but must have missed it earlier, or checked before it was logged.

Edited by Cpt_Pugwash
41 minutes ago, Cpt_Pugwash said:

Yes, I did PM the cacher who made the log entry relating to dropping a TB, with no reply. I also PM'd  Plumbguy who kindly sent this reply.

" Hi , thanks for the message , at present the tag should be in cache
https://coord.info/GC4Y730
I can't tell if this is near you as I only have my phone to hand as we are staying in Portugal attending the Mega event at the moment !!
If it is relatively easy for you to reunite the laminate with the tag that would be great , if not don't worry too much , but thanks for trying 

so I still have the laminate in my possession. When I checked,  GC4Y730 had no TB in its inventory, and I could not work out an identity from the Past Trackables list. 

Thanks again for all your help.

Edit.  I can see it in the list now, but must have missed it earlier, or checked before it was logged.

Yep, there it is!  https://coord.info/TB74NJN

I haven't figure out how the info note ended up in the cache where you found it.  Neither tag seems to have been logged there, but maybe in other caches in the general area.

Looks like it was most recently logged into an event cache in Tennessee.  So do ya'll have a minute to just zip on down there to Gallatin, Tennessee, an' attach that note? :cute:

But it's still apparently in the limbo between caches, and not in a cacher's Inventory.  Someone would have picked it up at the event, maybe the event host who now has a boxful to deal with.  There's been no news in more than a week.  In this state of flux, the item could be tough to locate. One of my trackables was logged into an event three years ago, and it's still there.

Edited by kunarion
51 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But it's still apparently in the limbo between caches, and not in a cacher's Inventory.  Someone would have picked it up at the event, maybe the event host who now has a boxful to deal with.  There's been no news in more than a week.  In this state of flux, the item could be tough to locate. One of my trackables was logged into an event three years ago, and it's still there.

I picked up a TB at an event that wanted to go to Maine.  The Event Owner never logged it into the event.  So I had to grab it from her.

I had a TB that went to an event at a bar in 2006.  Never picked up.  So I moved it to 'unknown location' because I didn't want to be responsible for her bar tab!

On 8/31/2017 at 11:32 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

One of my caches has 71 pages of trackables (mostly visits).  

If I open "View past Trackables", how can I tell which (and how many) of the logs are drops and which are visits?

Not necessarily directed to you, Mr. Dolphin. I just quoted your post in this old thread for relevant reference.

Edited by papu66
6 hours ago, papu66 said:

If I open "View past Trackables", how can I tell which (and how many) of the logs are drops and which are visits?

From the cache page, I don't believe it's possible.  I think you'd have to look at each trackable and find the log that corresponds to your cache.

Thanks hzoi. I was hoping there is a simple way of seeing the log type because it seems almost all logs are "visited"'.

Sometimes it would be nice to see the number of actual drops, for example to decide if a cache is safe for a trackable.

Edited by papu66
  • Upvote 1