What're Your Plans for This Cache

7 minutes ago, SeattleWayne said:

Williams Island (GC60BX6) placed in Alert, in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada, is the Northern most placed cache in the whole wide world. I've began researching how to get there, and it doesn't look promising.

What're your plans to log a find on this cache? 

Like most caches in the world, I haven't made plans to find it.  No finds since it was placed in 2015.  Relatively speaking that's not very long to some that have not yet been found.  For example:  Conch Shell Horn

I've looked into the feasibility for that one.  Basically It would require  a flight to Porlamar (Margarita Island) which would likely involved several legs, and probably a layover in Caracas.  From there one would have to charter a boat for the 90km boat ride to Los Testigos.  I suppose that if a few people got together at least the boat charter portion of the trip might be affordable, but then there's this:

"Porlamar was once regarded by many as the only "safe" anchorage on Isla Margarita. During the hurricane season there used to be as many as 100-150 boats here. However the number of visiting yachts has declined substantially over the last five years and now that Venezuela is in the middle of troubling times there are no foreign cruising boats visiting here

There no longer exists a gathering place for yachties here, and many of the services available to cruisers in the past, have now gone out of business.

Robberies from yachts do occur here and crew should be careful not to flash money around. Be sure to secure all items on deck and always lift and lock the dinghy and outboard at night."

14 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Like most caches in the world, I haven't made plans to find it.  No finds since it was placed in 2015.  Relatively speaking that's not very long to some that have not yet been found.  For example:  Conch Shell Horn

I've looked into the feasibility for that one.  Basically It would require  a flight to Porlamar (Margarita Island) which would likely involved several legs, and probably a layover in Caracas.  From there one would have to charter a boat for the 90km boat ride to Los Testigos.  I suppose that if a few people got together at least the boat charter portion of the trip might be affordable, but then there's this:

"Porlamar was once regarded by many as the only "safe" anchorage on Isla Margarita. During the hurricane season there used to be as many as 100-150 boats here. However the number of visiting yachts has declined substantially over the last five years and now that Venezuela is in the middle of troubling times there are no foreign cruising boats visiting here

There no longer exists a gathering place for yachties here, and many of the services available to cruisers in the past, have now gone out of business.

Robberies from yachts do occur here and crew should be careful not to flash money around. Be sure to secure all items on deck and always lift and lock the dinghy and outboard at night."

Now that is cool, and unfortunate that it's probably too dangerous to go after. :(

25 minutes ago, SeattleWayne said:
39 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Now that is cool, and unfortunate that it's probably too dangerous to go after. :(

That's not from the description of the cache but there are other remote caches which do describe what one might expect.  From the Erta Ale Volcano geocache in Ethiopia:

"Erta Ale is a shield volcano, part of the East African rift system. In its vast summit caldera there are two pit craters. The smaller crater (140m dia and 60-90m deep) now has an active lava lake. Even now, after the end of the war, the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners.

Getting to Erta Ale is not easy - just to reach the volcano is a test of endurance. The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C in the shade, but with no shade to be found there."

I flew over the general area a couple of years ago on a flight from Addis Ababa to Dubai and it's very, very remote.

4 hours ago, SeattleWayne said:

What're your plans to log a find on this cache? 

Since I'm not a member of the Canadian military, I haven't made any plans to get to this cache.

In case you hadn't noticed it in your research, Alert is effectively a Canadian military base (Alert and CFS Alert are pretty much the same thing) and it's my understanding that the general public can't just fly in. Your only other option is to access by boat from a distant location. Veeeery distant... :laughing:

5 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Since I'm not a member of the Canadian military, I haven't made any plans to get to this cache.

In case you hadn't noticed it in your research, Alert is effectively a Canadian military base (Alert and CFS Alert are pretty much the same thing) and it's my understanding that the general public can't just fly in. Your only other option is to access by boat from a distant location. Veeeery distant... :laughing:

Yes, I have noticed. That's why I stated that logging a find on this one wasn't very promising. 

11 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That's not from the description of the cache but there are other remote caches which do describe what one might expect.  From the Erta Ale Volcano geocache in Ethiopia:

"Erta Ale is a shield volcano, part of the East African rift system. In its vast summit caldera there are two pit craters. The smaller crater (140m dia and 60-90m deep) now has an active lava lake. Even now, after the end of the war, the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners.

Getting to Erta Ale is not easy - just to reach the volcano is a test of endurance. The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C in the shade, but with no shade to be found there."

I flew over the general area a couple of years ago on a flight from Addis Ababa to Dubai and it's very, very remote.

Looks like some cachers have decided to drop throw downs on this one to claim the find.