Corrected Coordinates not Showing in App?

I've been working on a lot of puzzle caches recently and notice that the Android app seems very inconsistent in picking up the "Corrected" coordinates when entered on the website.  It seems very random-- some will pick up and some will not.  Some are caches I've solved a while ago and some are more recent ones.

I hate to do a spoiler, but I thought an actual example might be useful.  

I had solved GC4N902 a few weeks ago.  I entered the "corrected coordinates" on the website and they show up there (you can see in the screenshot below, they are italicized like they do when you correct).  But when I open the cache in the app, it only lists the posted coordinates (See second screenshot).  I also don't get the special icon you see for the "corrected" coordinates.

As a counterpoint, I also solved GC3J5F8.  I did exactly the same action of using the "Corrected Coordinates" function.  It DOES show up in the app with the corrected coordinates and with the special icon on the live map.

Screenshot_20170830-084955.thumb.png.b08dc0ca252cab2e9bcd4bebd0926f1d.png59a6bb357682b_MyCountry2.JPG.60007ac8d79b24d7c69572fb1a579fd0.JPG

I have several caches that won't recognize the corrected coordinates in the Geocaching App.  Note that if I use a different app, they work just fine (the corrected coordinates are displayed).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there something I can refresh?  Is there some way when I open a cache I can force it to retrieve the updated coordinates?  Or is this a bug that's being worked on?

Thanks!

(And on a positive note, I have to say that adding a special icon for corrected coordinates and moving it on the map is absolutely one of my favorite things you guys have done in a while!! It's awesome!! :D)

Edited by GeoMonkeyTiger!

Hi All,

I totally agree with You. This new feature showing a new icon and moving the cache to the final location in the live map is Awesome.

But unfortunatelly, I've also noticed that not all caches are refreshed with the corrected coordenates. It is something random. And you cannot update the cache information !

I asume that this is an application bug. Anyone with any information ralated to this issue?

Thanks !

• Upvote 1

Same problem.  I had a series of 100+ puzzles with corrected coordinates just entered this weekend.  The App does not show any of them as solved.  I am sure this was working in the past, or at least on certain caches, but can't get it working at all now.  Fortunately, plans changed and the 100+ cache run was not a go ... yet

On 8/30/2017 at 6:27 AM, GeoMonkeyTiger! said:

I've been working on a lot of puzzle caches recently and notice that the Android app seems very inconsistent in picking up the "Corrected" coordinates when entered on the website.  It seems very random-- some will pick up and some will not.  Some are caches I've solved a while ago and some are more recent ones.

I had solved GC4N902 a few weeks ago.  I entered the "corrected coordinates" on the website and they show up there (you can see in the screenshot below, they are italicized like they do when you correct).  But when I open the cache in the app, it only lists the posted coordinates (See second screenshot).  I also don't get the special icon you see for the "corrected" coordinates.

As a counterpoint, I also solved GC3J5F8.  I did exactly the same action of using the "Corrected Coordinates" function.  It DOES show up in the app with the corrected coordinates and with the special icon on the live map.

Screenshot_20170830-084955.thumb.png.b08dc0ca252cab2e9bcd4bebd0926f1d.png59a6bb357682b_MyCountry2.JPG.60007ac8d79b24d7c69572fb1a579fd0.JPG

I have several caches that won't recognize the corrected coordinates in the Geocaching App.  Note that if I use a different app, they work just fine (the corrected coordinates are displayed).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there something I can refresh?  Is there some way when I open a cache I can force it to retrieve the updated coordinates?  Or is this a bug that's being worked on?

Thanks!

(And on a positive note, I have to say that adding a special icon for corrected coordinates and moving it on the map is absolutely one of my favorite things you guys have done in a while!! It's awesome!! :D)

On 9/4/2017 at 4:43 AM, pinguinino said:

Hi All,

I totally agree with You. This new feature showing a new icon and moving the cache to the final location in the live map is Awesome.

But unfortunatelly, I've also noticed that not all caches are refreshed with the corrected coordenates. It is something random. And you cannot update the cache information !

I asume that this is an application bug. Anyone with any information ralated to this issue?

Thanks !

On 9/22/2017 at 5:40 PM, mojostones said:

I've been having the same problem for several weeks at least.  It seems like my more recent solves are having this problem. 

On 9/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, MBQS said:

Same problem.  I had a series of 100+ puzzles with corrected coordinates just entered this weekend.  The App does not show any of them as solved.  I am sure this was working in the past, or at least on certain caches, but can't get it working at all now.  Fortunately, plans changed and the 100+ cache run was not a go ... yet

Thanks to all of you for reporting your problem. Could you please respond here with what version of the app you're using? You can find that at the very bottom of the Help and About section under the the ☰ menu at the top left of the main screen.

We experienced the same problem. About half of the corrected coordinates didn't flow through from the List to the Android. I even tried deleting from the list and saving to the list.Info requested is Version 5.7.1 Android 5.0.1 Samsung SGH-1337

A fix sure would make life in the field a lot easier.

Boy was I ever ticked off this morning!  I went out to do maintenance on a couple of my puzzle caches.  I had run and loaded a PQ of these caches on my GPSr, but noticed last night that I had not corrected the coordinates on one of them.  Rather than rerun and reload the PQ, I just corrected the coordinates (via the website) and thought I'd be able to get those coordinates this morning via the app on my phone.  Well, I got out there and pulled up the puzzle cache, hit the Start arrow, and my choices were View Puzzle, Enter Solved Coordinates, or Go to Posted Coordinates.  No, I want to go to the solved coordinates, but that wasn't an option.  Nor could I find any way of getting past those three limited choices.  

So I tried to get to the website via my phone's browser, but I couldn't get to the Captcha images.  So I went on to the next cache I was going to check.  Since I had loaded this one in my GPS via the PQ with the corrected coordinates, I didn't have any trouble.  Although when I tried to access it via the app, I got the same three limited choices.  Now, however, at this second location I was able to get logged in to the website and looked up the corrected coordinates of the first cache and entered them into my GPSr as a Waypoint and used that to get me to the first cache.  What a waste of time to have to use workarounds like that!

Now that I am home and looking at all of my puzzle caches, I see that for some of them the app directs me to the corrected coordinates, and some it just gives me the three limited choices even though I do have the solved coordinates on the cache page.

This morning I was using ver 5.6.3 and have now upgraded to 5.7.2 but the results are the same.  My Android phone is running 4.4.2.

Same problem here. It worked fine the first few weeks. Than all the new solved caches started showing at the posted coordinates. The correct coordinates are also not available in the app. 

.Worseen I created a list of my newly solved puzzles and downloaded them into my Garmin using that other new feature they were also not there. Only the website shows them correctly.

Looks like Geocaching is using different source tables and some triggers stopped working. 

My puzzle cache solutions seem to be OK - granted I only have a half dozen or so locally that I have solved and have yet to find.  All of them show the puzzle piece at the corrected coordinates.  Once I log a find, the smilie is shown at the posted coordinates, rather than the actual location.

Using Android v. 8.0.0 on a Google Pixel, app version 5.7.2

I've just encountered this problem as well.  I updated several Mystery caches with solved coords and the icons showed up at the solved locations on the website maps.

I looked on the app a couple days later and there were no icons at the solved locations. I searched for one of the Mystery caches and clicked on the small map in the cache details, then the icon showed at the correct spot.  But the icon reverted to its original location if I closed and reopened the app.

I tried logging in/out of the app, but that didn't result in the icons appearing at their solved locations.

---

Android 7.0  /  App version 5.7.2

How do I get the latest version of the app to install on my phone? I have version 4.4.1 on a Samsung Galaxy4. I have upgraded the app recently, but apparently that didn't work. Tonight, I uninstalled the app, then did what I thought was a fresh install from the Google play store and I'm still far behind. Can I download from the Groundspeak website to get the proper version?

1 hour ago, hikecycletri said:

Can I download from the Groundspeak website to get the proper version?

No, you can only install the app from the Google Play Store (Android).

What Android version runs on your Galaxy S4?  Maybe the more recent versions of the app don't run on older versions of the Android OS.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, noncentric said:

What Android version runs on your Galaxy S4?  Maybe the more recent versions of the app don't run on older versions of the Android OS.

The notes for the app on the Google playstore say: 

Current Version - Varies with device

Requires Android - Varies with device

The Galaxy S4 was released in 2013, with Android 4 (Jelly Bean) - and it may not be capable of running the newer Android OS verisons, thereby limiting the Geocaching app version(s) that will run.  Sad, but true - a 4 year old smartphone is practically ancient in today's world.  :(

On 8/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, GeoMonkeyTiger! said:

Thanks!

I was also having this same issue and came here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.  Some of my solved puzzles showed up in the app at the solved coordinates whereas others for no apparent reason, would not show up at corrected coords (even though they do on geocaching.com).  I read through all of the info above and decided to delete my app and reinstall.  Even though it appears to be the same version as it was before I uninstalled/reinstalled, it solved the problem.  Also solved an issue I was having of taking a couple of minutes to load caches on the map.  Now, my solved puzzles are showing up at corrected coords on the map online as well as in the app and caches are loading on the map much faster as well!  I'm a happy camper!

On 1/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, Zargonians said:

I was also having this same issue and came here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.  Some of my solved puzzles showed up in the app at the solved coordinates whereas others for no apparent reason, would not show up at corrected coords (even though they do on geocaching.com).  I read through all of the info above and decided to delete my app and reinstall.  Even though it appears to be the same version as it was before I uninstalled/reinstalled, it solved the problem.  Also solved an issue I was having of taking a couple of minutes to load caches on the map.  Now, my solved puzzles are showing up at corrected coords on the map online as well as in the app and caches are loading on the map much faster as well!  I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for describing how you addressed the problem with corrected coordinates. We certainly don't want players to have to delete/reinstall the app, so we're continuing to investigate the issue. To help us diagnose, could you answer a couple questions?

• What app version, OS version, and device were you using when you had the problem? You can find all of that info at the bottom of the Geocaching app's Help & About menu.
  • Did you have lists saved for offline use when you had the problem with corrected coordinates? If so, approximately how many lists and how many caches saved offline?

Thanks in advance for any additional info!

Hi, I am also having problems with caches with amended coordinates. We solved several mystery caches but when I looked at the caches using the app only 2 were showing the icon for amended coordinates, non were in lists when amended but they were all added to a list of 32 of which 12 were mysteries with amended coordinates, the others were assorted multis and traditionals.

Previously were entered a list of 43 mysteries on 23 December with 39 having amended coordinates, all of these showed on the app with the icon for amended.

I am using  version 5.8.1  Android 6.0.1  Samsung SM-J500FN

Thanks in advance  Petensara2

I am having this problem as well. If I correct coordinates on the web site, they are not sync'd in the app. Rather than re-install the app, I have found that if I go to Settings, Applications, click on the Geocaching app, then Storage, and the Clear Data button, when I log back into the app, the corrected coordinates will appear.

I'm using Version 5.8.2, Android 7.0, Samsung SM-G930R7.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:47 PM, Ben H said:

Thanks for describing how you addressed the problem with corrected coordinates. We certainly don't want players to have to delete/reinstall the app, so we're continuing to investigate the issue. To help us diagnose, could you answer a couple questions?

• What app version, OS version, and device were you using when you had the problem? You can find all of that info at the bottom of the Geocaching app's Help & About menu.
  • Did you have lists saved for offline use when you had the problem with corrected coordinates? If so, approximately how many lists and how many caches saved offline?

Thanks in advance for any additional info!

Sorry!  Just noticed this as I don't log on to the forums often.  I am using Version 5.8.3, Android 7.0, Samsung SM-G930A (Galaxy S7).   I do have several lists saved for offline, but not sure how many at the time of the issue.  Since I posted a few weeks ago, I have had no further issues of solved coordinates not showing up on the Geocaching app and my map populates super quick now instead of taking at least two minutes to load.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to have solved my problem for now!  

I will say (although not pertinent to the subject post) that the app is lagging again as it did when it first went live.  I will be navigating towards a cache and the distance will constantly read 640 feet (for example) and will continue to read the same distance no matter how far I walk.  Luckily my caching partner carries his GPSr and we are able to navigate using that method.  I experienced this problem for probably the first month or so after the "new" app went live, but it finally resolved (maybe after an update).  Not sure why it is suddenly reverting to that behavior.

There is a series of mystery caches that are FAR from my location. I changed the coords for several caches in that series months ago, so I could see where the cache icons would end up with the fake coords that I'm planning to use for some hides. I can see the corrected coord puzzle piece icons on the website map.

Those caches with corrected coords do not appear on the Geocaching app using either of my phones. Neither of these phones have offline lists downloaded.

• Version 5.8.8 / iOS 11.2.5 -- just acquired this phone last week, so install is fresh
  • Version 5.8.3 / Android 7.0
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I just went to log a mystery with corrected coordinates in the field, only to find that the app (version 5.12.0) isn't showing corrected coordinates on unfound caches today. When I last used it on the 20th it was, so either something's broken since then or it's an intermittent problem.

I just updated my app to 5.12.0.  I can still see the solved puzzles at the corrected coordinates (until I log them, then it goes back to the posted, as expected).  I haven't entered any solved coordinates since the update though; all the puzzles were solved and entered prior to the update, which I just now installed.

I also, just now, rebooted the phone, and my puzzle solves are still showing as puzzle pieces on the map.  I tried to upload a screenshot but it's not working.  In any case, I'm still seeing my solved coordinate locations as piuzzle piece icons on unfound, solved puzzle caches in v. 5.12.0, Google Pixel, Android v 8.1.0

19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I just went to log a mystery with corrected coordinates in the field, only to find that the app (version 5.12.0) isn't showing corrected coordinates on unfound caches today. When I last used it on the 20th it was, so either something's broken since then or it's an intermittent problem.

Okay, I logged out and back in again and now the corrected coordinates are showing. Weird.

5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Okay, I logged out and back in again and now the corrected coordinates are showing. Weird.

And I just entered a few solved coordinates today, after updating, and all is showing as expected.  It's all been working fine for me, all along?  Hmmm...

I just discovered this problem this morning. Solved a puzzle last night, the solved coordinates are shown on the website. Open the app, and it still shows at the posted coordinates. Tried clearing data, and then uninstalling the app, but it still is not working.

My phone is an LG premier, LGL62VL. Android 5.1.1.

I've been having the same problem: some solved puzzle caches with corrected coords show up as corrected on the App, and some don't.

My phone is an LG K10 (a.k.a LG-K428), Android V 7.0, Kernel 3.10.49, SW version K24820k.  Geocaching App version 6.2.0

I haven't tried re-installing the app, but that's my next step.

Of course C:Geo works in this regard just fine... ahem.

Edited by LostSparky

Same problem here. 

Info version:

Version 6.5.1
Android 6.0.1
OnePlus A0001

@Ben H, are you still working on it? 

Edit:

- emptying app cache didn't solve the problem. 

- emptying all app data solved the problem. 

- mystery caches which was impacted by the problem isn't and wasn't in any list. 

Edited by Tungstène
Added informations

Same here.. 

Version 6.7.0
Android 6.0.1
samsung SM-G900F

Wouldn't it be easier to give us the possibility to simply refresh the maps?? I really miss this option and this makes me often use a not-officially-supported app for android that HAS this function..

Because you cannot even log you caches with tbs (as you can on pc or on other, non-official apps), I didn't think this might be a bug, but just another point to wonder why the old, good-working and expensive app was replaced by this partly useless one.. ? Because it has always been so, as I remember..

But when it's a bug..

I hope my information on the top can help to fix this.

Edited by Erbspueree
Forgot sth.