Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
GeoMonkeyTiger!

Corrected Coordinates not Showing in App?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been working on a lot of puzzle caches recently and notice that the Android app seems very inconsistent in picking up the "Corrected" coordinates when entered on the website.  It seems very random-- some will pick up and some will not.  Some are caches I've solved a while ago and some are more recent ones.

I hate to do a spoiler, but I thought an actual example might be useful.  

I had solved GC4N902 a few weeks ago.  I entered the "corrected coordinates" on the website and they show up there (you can see in the screenshot below, they are italicized like they do when you correct).  But when I open the cache in the app, it only lists the posted coordinates (See second screenshot).  I also don't get the special icon you see for the "corrected" coordinates.

As a counterpoint, I also solved GC3J5F8.  I did exactly the same action of using the "Corrected Coordinates" function.  It DOES show up in the app with the corrected coordinates and with the special icon on the live map.

Screenshot_20170830-084955.thumb.png.b08dc0ca252cab2e9bcd4bebd0926f1d.png59a6bb357682b_MyCountry2.JPG.60007ac8d79b24d7c69572fb1a579fd0.JPG

I have several caches that won't recognize the corrected coordinates in the Geocaching App.  Note that if I use a different app, they work just fine (the corrected coordinates are displayed).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there something I can refresh?  Is there some way when I open a cache I can force it to retrieve the updated coordinates?  Or is this a bug that's being worked on?

Thanks!

(And on a positive note, I have to say that adding a special icon for corrected coordinates and moving it on the map is absolutely one of my favorite things you guys have done in a while!! It's awesome!! :D)

Edited by GeoMonkeyTiger!

Hi All,

I totally agree with You. This new feature showing a new icon and moving the cache to the final location in the live map is Awesome.

But unfortunatelly, I've also noticed that not all caches are refreshed with the corrected coordenates. It is something random. And you cannot update the cache information !

I asume that this is an application bug. Anyone with any information ralated to this issue?

Thanks !

I've been having the same problem for several weeks at least.  It seems like my more recent solves are having this problem. 

Same problem.  I had a series of 100+ puzzles with corrected coordinates just entered this weekend.  The App does not show any of them as solved.  I am sure this was working in the past, or at least on certain caches, but can't get it working at all now.  Fortunately, plans changed and the 100+ cache run was not a go ... yet

On 8/30/2017 at 6:27 AM, GeoMonkeyTiger! said:

I've been working on a lot of puzzle caches recently and notice that the Android app seems very inconsistent in picking up the "Corrected" coordinates when entered on the website.  It seems very random-- some will pick up and some will not.  Some are caches I've solved a while ago and some are more recent ones.

I hate to do a spoiler, but I thought an actual example might be useful.  

I had solved GC4N902 a few weeks ago.  I entered the "corrected coordinates" on the website and they show up there (you can see in the screenshot below, they are italicized like they do when you correct).  But when I open the cache in the app, it only lists the posted coordinates (See second screenshot).  I also don't get the special icon you see for the "corrected" coordinates.

As a counterpoint, I also solved GC3J5F8.  I did exactly the same action of using the "Corrected Coordinates" function.  It DOES show up in the app with the corrected coordinates and with the special icon on the live map.

Screenshot_20170830-084955.thumb.png.b08dc0ca252cab2e9bcd4bebd0926f1d.png59a6bb357682b_MyCountry2.JPG.60007ac8d79b24d7c69572fb1a579fd0.JPG

I have several caches that won't recognize the corrected coordinates in the Geocaching App.  Note that if I use a different app, they work just fine (the corrected coordinates are displayed).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there something I can refresh?  Is there some way when I open a cache I can force it to retrieve the updated coordinates?  Or is this a bug that's being worked on?

Thanks!

(And on a positive note, I have to say that adding a special icon for corrected coordinates and moving it on the map is absolutely one of my favorite things you guys have done in a while!! It's awesome!! :D)

On 9/4/2017 at 4:43 AM, pinguinino said:

Hi All,

I totally agree with You. This new feature showing a new icon and moving the cache to the final location in the live map is Awesome.

But unfortunatelly, I've also noticed that not all caches are refreshed with the corrected coordenates. It is something random. And you cannot update the cache information !

I asume that this is an application bug. Anyone with any information ralated to this issue?

Thanks !

On 9/22/2017 at 5:40 PM, mojostones said:

I've been having the same problem for several weeks at least.  It seems like my more recent solves are having this problem. 

On 9/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, MBQS said:

Same problem.  I had a series of 100+ puzzles with corrected coordinates just entered this weekend.  The App does not show any of them as solved.  I am sure this was working in the past, or at least on certain caches, but can't get it working at all now.  Fortunately, plans changed and the 100+ cache run was not a go ... yet

Thanks to all of you for reporting your problem. Could you please respond here with what version of the app you're using? You can find that at the very bottom of the Help and About section under the the ☰ menu at the top left of the main screen.

We experienced the same problem. About half of the corrected coordinates didn't flow through from the List to the Android. I even tried deleting from the list and saving to the list.Info requested is Version 5.7.1 Android 5.0.1 Samsung SGH-1337

A fix sure would make life in the field a lot easier.

Boy was I ever ticked off this morning!  I went out to do maintenance on a couple of my puzzle caches.  I had run and loaded a PQ of these caches on my GPSr, but noticed last night that I had not corrected the coordinates on one of them.  Rather than rerun and reload the PQ, I just corrected the coordinates (via the website) and thought I'd be able to get those coordinates this morning via the app on my phone.  Well, I got out there and pulled up the puzzle cache, hit the Start arrow, and my choices were View Puzzle, Enter Solved Coordinates, or Go to Posted Coordinates.  No, I want to go to the solved coordinates, but that wasn't an option.  Nor could I find any way of getting past those three limited choices.  

So I tried to get to the website via my phone's browser, but I couldn't get to the Captcha images.  So I went on to the next cache I was going to check.  Since I had loaded this one in my GPS via the PQ with the corrected coordinates, I didn't have any trouble.  Although when I tried to access it via the app, I got the same three limited choices.  Now, however, at this second location I was able to get logged in to the website and looked up the corrected coordinates of the first cache and entered them into my GPSr as a Waypoint and used that to get me to the first cache.  What a waste of time to have to use workarounds like that!

Now that I am home and looking at all of my puzzle caches, I see that for some of them the app directs me to the corrected coordinates, and some it just gives me the three limited choices even though I do have the solved coordinates on the cache page.

This morning I was using ver 5.6.3 and have now upgraded to 5.7.2 but the results are the same.  My Android phone is running 4.4.2.

Hello,

Thanks for the response. The version info is as follows:

Version 5.7.2

Android: 7.0

Samsung SM-G950U

Thanks!