Are PQs Buggy?

RufusClupea

A few times now, I've created PQs, submitted them, and they show up on the Active Pocket Queries tab with a line through them, but nothing on the Pocket Queries Ready for Download tab.  I also get emails notifying me they're available for download, but again--nothing there (they don't appear in the Pocket Queries Ready for Download tab, but do show up on the Active Pocket Queries tab with a line through them.

This seems to happen if/when I create more than one PQ at a time.

I also cannot delete the struck-through queries from the Active tab (yes, I'm checking the boxes).

Is the system buggy, or am I doing something incorrectly, or what?

TIA

PS  I also ran one that showed up on the tabs, but I never got an email notice for it (not that it matters, but again, seems to be a bug(?))

Edited by RufusClupea
Added PS

You don't say if you have ever had a PQ successfully process, so I have a few very basic questions.

Are you seeing caches when you view your PQ in preview mode?  To preview the caches you will get in the PQ, select your preferences/filters and run the PQ without selecting a day for it to run.  You will see a list of the caches that will be in the PQ and can map those.  The list is not the PQ but a preview, which does not count toward your daily limit.

To generate the GPX file, which is the output of the PQ, return to the PQ form and select a day, for the PQ to run.  If you select the current day for the run you should have your PQ in 5 to 10 minutes, often quicker.

When you get the PQs they will be in a ZIP file.  You will need to open that file and extract the two GPX files.  You can view the contents of the GPX files with any text editor, such as Notepad in Windows.

Yes, I've been running PQs successfully.  This aberration has happened several times.  I can't say for sure if it's happened when running just one PQ, but it's happened at least twice when running multiple PQs.

Yes, the caches are there in preview mode--when they appear on the Active tab (albeit struck through).  Sometimes after submitting, they don't appear at all; they just get lost in the Twilight PQ Zone.

Things have gotten stranger...  One of the PQs I ran had one title on the compressed file, but another PQ's titles on the un/de/compressed files within...  I can only guess that something strange is happening when I try to do multiples.

I guess the solution (for me) is to do one PQ, and wait until the entire process is complete before progressing to the next PQ.  It'll take longer, but I can't see any other fix at this time.

The latter--fill out the form, schedule it to run, then immediately edit the form for the next PQ

That may be (part of) the problem, but in my mind, that's a bug.  Once a completed form is submitted, I would think that's it, and I should be able to continue/proceed to the next PQ.

Edited by RufusClupea
Elucidated
2 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

The latter--fill out the form, schedule it to run, then immediately edit the form for the next PQ

You do wait until you got the e-mail the PQ is ready, are you? Why not "copy" the PQ and run the original and edited copy. Besides, running the original and then editing and running it again will not work as the system sees the same PQ and will wait 24 hours to run it again.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You do wait until you got the e-mail the PQ is ready, are you? Why not "copy" the PQ and run the original and edited copy. Besides, running the original and then editing and running it again will not work as the system sees the same PQ and will wait 24 hours to run it again.

I'm not quite following you.  The items edited are Name, Origin, and Radius (overlapping circles to expand/increase the overall area).  I would think those changes would be enough for the system to recognize they are different PQs.  If not, then again, I think that's a bug.  Of course YMMV.

Anyway, as I said above, from now on I'll wait until the process is complete before proceeding to the next PQ.  The system doesn't seem to have a problem when I do that, so it's apparently NOT seeing the same PQ.

Edited by RufusClupea

Each Pocket Query is separate.  Editing the old information overwrites it.  Any one pocket query can only be run once per day, so if you're editing one, the earliest it can run is the following day (Seattle time). 

This is not a bug, but rather a User Interface design that is not working well for you.

5 minutes ago, RufusClupea said:

I'm not quite following you.  The items edited are Name, Origin, and Radius (overlapping circles to expand/increase the overall area).  I would think those changes would be enough for the system to recognize they are different PQs.  If not, then again, I think that's a bug.  Of course YMMV.

Anyway, as I said above, from now on I'll wait until the process is complete before proceeding to the next PQ.  The system doesn't seem to have a problem when I do that, so it's apparently NOT seeing the same PQ.

The fact that there seems to be a hiccup proves something is wrong. Just try this:

Make your PQ and save it (don't tick the day to run it yet).

Make a copy (using the Copy icon) and edit all needed data. Save it.

Back on the PQ page tick the boxes of the day you want to run the first PQ (today.. ) When the page refreshes (automatically) tick the day for the second PQ.

Wait for the two e-mails to arrive, go back to the PQ page and download both files.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Each Pocket Query is separate.  Editing the old information overwrites it.  Any one pocket query can only be run once per day, so if you're editing one, the earliest it can run is the following day (Seattle time).

I think what you're saying is that I need to click Create a new Query for each follow-up, but that doesn't seem to follow what's happening.  I CAN edit--as long as I wait for the process to complete.

Again, waiting seems to work.  I'd do some of this experimenting, but right now the sun is shining, and I'd rather get out and find some of these caches... ;)

No, creating a new query is more work, because you'd need to fill in all the required fields, and you are only changing a few of them (like date range and query name).

Follow on4bam's excellent instructions for creating a copy of Query 1 in order to set up your separate Query 2.  The copied Query 2 will inherit all the properties of Query 1.

13 minutes ago, Keystone said:

No, creating a new query is more work, because you'd need to fill in all the required fields, and you are only changing a few of them (like date range and query name).

I agree it is more work in the short term. But in the long run the user will have a nice menu of PQs that can be instantly reused to refresh the cache information.  That will be much faster than re-editing a PQ.