Highest numbers in 1 day

HD_Diva

Seems like the wrong reasons to go along with that team. Maybe going against it would be better in the long run.

Short non-geocaching story: When I just started working in a small company (construction) our employer drove us to the workplace and back and on Friday he used to stop at a café on the way home to have a drink. At first it was just one or two drinks and then he dropped us of at home. After a few weeks they didn't stop after two drinks but ordered more and started to play pool too. I didn't like the way that was going and said spoke up but since I was "the new guy" (and only 17 at that time) they didn't think they should consider my view. So the next Friday they stopped at the café and as we all got out of the car I took my stuff with me and started to walk home. I was about halfway when they stopped beside me and after some discussion everything was cleared out and from then on they went for drinks AFTER they dropped me off. It didn't change anything about our working relations and I've worked there until I had to do my 8 months of military service. I returned afterwards and worked there for a few months and they had already dropped the Friday drinks anyway.

The thing that bothered me was that our employer drove us home while he had more to drink than allowed.

So "group pressure" is not a valid reason.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Seems like the wrong reasons to go along with that team. Maybe going against it would be better in the long run.

A bit OT, but yeah, I agree (for me) , if someone's using peer pressure as an excuse...

- But something as simple as me placing a NM on a cache, refusing to do pmo, roadside/parking lot hides, and speaking up when I don't agree with something said at an event (or forum...), has given the other 2/3rds more problems with "friends" than I can count.  Half my age, she's part of this "social" thing where everyone has some odd need to "fit in", like someone else's opinion of them matters.  Just look at a typical faceboook forums and notice everyone's agreeing with each other.

So yeah, I agree, for some rocking the boat is a good thing, but YMMV...    :)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1

The most finds in one day for my wife and I was 105 on Saturday 11/4/2015.  This is highly atypical for us as our second highest day was 29 and usually we are below 20 finds in one day.  I wouldn't say it was our best day caching, but it was probably pretty close to the top.  I judge that based on the fact my wife doesn't usually like finding a lot of caches and she didn't completely hate me afterwards.

There is a challenge cache near where I live to find 100 caches in one day and I wanted to find it.  There is a South Dakota State Park a couple of hours from where we live with about 75 cache, basically laid out as a hiking power trail.  I figured this was our best chance at getting at least close to 100 in one day.  The weather forecast for that Saturday was surprisingly nice, considering it was the beginning of November and we live pretty far north.  When I asked my wife, she said we could give it a try.  I wasn't a premium member at the time, so I hand entered between 120 and 150 caches into my old eTrex Legend.

We left our house about 6am, before the sun had risen, and made the drive down, stopping to pick up about 20 caches on the way.   We were then able to spend the rest of the day hiking the different loops at the park.  We had to stop after about 66 caches, because it got dark.  We picked up the rest of the caches we needed on the way back home.  If it had been all driving and caching, I don't think either one of us would have really enjoyed it, but the fact that most of the day had been spent hiking made it a lot more memorable and enjoyable.  If I remember correctly, I think we ended up hiking at least 12 miles.

20 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:
  • The person, unfortunately, did a divide and conquer cache run.  I've been on those and it's really hard on my morality because I place a higher value on having people to cache with and being invited for the next run.  If I can log just what I found without angering key team members, I'd like to do that.  But if it means I won't be invited back, I'll swallow my pride and log with the team to be nice, but I really need to find other people to cache with.

I've seen the conflict between people who want to use the huckle buckle beanstalk method and those who want to use the three musketeers method. I'd hate to think of a conflict between people who want to actually visit all the caches they log and those who insist everyone uses a divide and conquer method.

That might be a situation when it is actually helpful to be behind on logging your finds...

It's all moot to me.  I don't consider it caching if you are not finding, signing and replacing it yourself.  Plenty of folks enjoy the "social" aspect of caching...but to me, caching is not a social activity.  If I want to engage in social interaction, I will attend an event.  So while I suppose it's technically POSSIBLE to get up to maybe 1000 in a day all by yourself, I don't really take someone seriously when they claim their best numbers day was higher than that.  I just assume it was part of some group effort and that their own personal number was, at best, probably half or a third of that number. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

I don't really take someone seriously when they claim their best numbers day was higher than that.  I just assume it was part of some group effort and that their own personal number was, at best, probably half or a third of that number. 

A local news station did a short on the hobby a couple years ago, and one who bragged about their numbers got cut out.

This old fart got blamed, claiming my laughing was too loud.   He also showed with climbing gear, but never did any himself until well after that interview.    :laughing:

I am more impressed by the number of stories one has than the number of caches one has found.  I want a lot of stories, so I want to find a lot of caches.  Sometimes, I can write an epic log about it.  Bragging is destructive.  I'd much rather people tell stories that inspire others to get out and have fun.  That's why I miss CCCooperAgency in this game: she had a lot of stories to tell and could really inspire others.

For me, I find a balance must be struck between quality and quantity.  If I do too much of one, I find myself craving the other for variety.  They each have their place.  Perhaps my view would be different if I wasn't finding something every day.

• Upvote 3
On 08/09/2017 at 7:44 AM, The Jester said:

My highest numbers for a day are 14,100 - twice!  Of course, that's feet of elevation, two caches on top of Pike's Peak. :D

My highest number is 18,801, but that's kilometers from home.

My highest find count in a day was 32, I think, on a challenge trail near the wonderfully named Yee Haw Junction in Florida

Talking of Florida,  I hope everyone there escapes Irma safe and sound.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:13 PM, Mudfrog said:

I automatically stop listening, sometimes walk away, when i hear someone talking about ET, 66, or some other big power trail. I mean, i'm at a geocaching event so why would i want to hear bragging about something not related to geocaching? :huh:

About ET or 66 at all?  Or only if they're bragging about their numbers from the ET or 66? Because I'd tune out regardless of where someone got their "high numbers", if they were only bragging about numbers.  But talking about the ET, or whatever place you get high finds, may not be about the numbers primarily at all; one could easily be talking about the experience and how amazing it was, the things they saw, the fun they had, the little adventures thye had along the way. Just because you hear "ET" or "66" (or whatever common high count series) shouldn't mean you automatically stop listening. IMO, that's like judging a book by its cover, and as antagonistic as constantly bragging about your numbers.

Bragging about numbers is bragging about numbers, where they were counted and however many they are.

By myself in a suburban setting: 63 in 12 hours.  That was some years ago and I know I could top that now.

With a group of 3 in suburban and rural:101 in 12 hours.

On a California desert power trail with one other person: 373 from 9 am to 4:30 pm.  Rented an suv and we switched drivers every 25 caches.

You know I also kinda hate to say it... but while my highest numbers days are in Nevada... and my other highest number day used to be Sulphur Mountain in Alberta, my other highest number day is now also in Nevada... I hate the fact that the vast plain of desert there is a higher altitude than the peak of a mountain in the Alberta rockies. :sad: *sigh*

10 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

About ET or 66 at all?  Or only if they're bragging about their numbers from the ET or 66? Because I'd tune out regardless of where someone got their "high numbers", if they were only bragging about numbers.  But talking about the ET, or whatever place you get high finds, may not be about the numbers primarily at all; one could easily be talking about the experience and how amazing it was, the things they saw, the fun they had, the little adventures thye had along the way. Just because you hear "ET" or "66" (or whatever common high count series) shouldn't mean you automatically stop listening. IMO, that's like judging a book by its cover, and as antagonistic as constantly bragging about your numbers.

Bragging about numbers is bragging about numbers, where they were counted and however many they are.

Granted, i only know a couple of people personally that have gone for some of the ET trail. What i immediately heard from them was how many they found in a one day. It wasn't long before the the part about swapping containers came out. True, i may be judging a book by its cover since i'm sure there are some out there that have actually found, signed the log, and replaced the container back the way they found it. To this day, i have never heard of anyone doing that on that trail.

Of course it's obvious i dislike power trails. Because they promote quantity, i believe they have helped to degrade our hobby into more of game to be scored. They're here though, with Groundspeak's blessing, so this is the way it is. Sorry, i'm just not interested in hearing any stories surrounding them.

Edited by Mudfrog
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Mudfrog said:

Granted, i only know a couple of people personally that have gone for some of the ET trail. What i immediately heard from them was how many they found in a one day. It wasn't long before the the part about swapping containers came out. True, i may be judging a book by its cover since i'm sure there are some out there that have actually found, signed the log, and replaced the container back the way they found it. To this day, i have never heard of anyone doing that on that trail.

Well now you know someone who doesn't first talk about about numbers having done the series a few years ago. The first thing I tend to mention is the experience of it being like a marathon, about how it only works if you're with friends who are there for the same reason, and because of that we have many great memories.  Does the number come up? Yeah, and inevitably discussion about strategy, but the best thing about that trip for me was not the numbers. It totally was the experience. And the rest of the trip that wasn't just swapping a container every 170m.  And for them too. :)

Honestly though, doing a series like that, if you are in it for the numbers, you have to be aware that it's gonna mess up the rest of your stats if you want to get some of the older ratio-style challenge caches. That many traditionals will take quite some time to balance out with non-traditionals. And it heavily weighs your low end DT grid. If anyone cares about that sort of stuff. If not, then memories all the way, man! Great times, with friends. (but even then, the experience itself is still not something everyone might enjoy, and that's just fine :) )

• Upvote 3
On 8/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, HD_Diva said:

what was the most finds you had in 1 day?

100 in one day, 74 the day before. 

On 8/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, HD_Diva said:

What is your secret/tips to finding this many caches in a day?

Going to a power trail, forgetting how fun caching should be, and just putting my head down and finding cache after cache after cache.  :laughing:

I wanted to celebrate our 4000th find in Japan in December 2011, and we were way behind where we needed to be to make that happen -- only had 3,672 finds going in to October.  So I took the Columbus Day weekend and found some power trails to drive, ended up finding 188 over three days.  I have decided not to repeat that experience, in no small part because I refuse to do copy and paste logs yet very quickly ran out of things to say.  I'm not disparaging power trails or their hiders or finders, it just wasn't my cup of tea.  I'm guessing it's more fun with a group. 

I've since cached other power trails, but I do them in segments and on foot.  It definitely helped to pass the time when I was in New Mexico doing ruck marches up to 20 miles long while training for the Bataan Memorial Death March -- every quarter mile or so, look for a cache to break up the hike.

4 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I have decided not to repeat that experience, in no small part because I refuse to do copy and paste logs yet very quickly ran out of things to say.

That was my biggest problem when I did the Geo-Art last June consisting of 45 caches, about half of which were LPCs and the other half were very similarly hidden preforms or bison tubes in the woods.  I managed to make each log unique, but it meant that very few of the logs actually talked about the cache itself.  A great many of them were just random quips or thoughts while out on the hunt.

31 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

I managed to make each log unique, but it meant that very few of the logs actually talked about the cache itself.  A great many of them were just random quips or thoughts while out on the hunt.

Same here.  For example:

What's playing on the iPod

Excerpts from my spam filter

What the cats are doing while I log caches

Riffs on the cache title

And just random thoughts about my random logs

• Upvote 2
On 8/30/2017 at 5:35 AM, J Grouchy said:

That's the only way to validly do a power trail, in my own opinion.  I don't consider the team effort a real "personal record".  Not to discount the achievement, but if I'm looking at my own personal "highest number day", I must be personally responsible for finding, signing and replacing every cache.

I am with this train of thought. I just nibbled a little bit off a trail today. Myself. A vehicle. Solo. A creative way to juggle keys and packs and pens and new logs if needed (last one on the trail was April). I feel I earned every stop, and was only able to do maybe 20 out of what feels like a billion :) I am more about the journey and not the destination of numbers, but something about this new culture of quantity in the game has sucked me in. However, weekends, when I am a family and not just a mom, are when we go for the destination finds <3

Edited by TumbleweedDeb

My best is 53 in one day. Not a super high number compared to some but it was a great day of caching. We were visiting my wife's family in her hometown in far Northwest Ohio and I had a full day during the week to jump out and check out an area that was fairly new to me. There was a minor trail (only about 13-18 caches) but they were pretty unique with a great finish, lots of parks and cemeteries, and even the chance to head into Michigan to look for a few caches. 

While I usually value time spent caching with others, this day was a great caching experience!

I am not sure. Somewhere between 800 and 900. I was caching with someone and we had different numbers and I wasn't going to go back and change them. After the first Power trail I really didn't like it. I kept asking after awhile "are we done yet?". I love the landscape and the cute little lizards under the rock I pick up. But I still don't care for the Power Trails, I may do some with  other friends that take a slower pace. You may look at my numbers but most were done before Power Trails. You will also see I slowed down a lot more because I added some other hobbies that I also enjoy just as much.

9 hours ago, jellis said:

I am not sure. Somewhere between 800 and 900. I was caching with someone and we had different numbers and I wasn't going to go back and change them. After the first Power trail I really didn't like it. I kept asking after awhile "are we done yet?". I love the landscape and the cute little lizards under the rock I pick up. But I still don't care for the Power Trails, I may do some with  other friends that take a slower pace. You may look at my numbers but most were done before Power Trails. You will also see I slowed down a lot more because I added some other hobbies that I also enjoy just as much.

Caching with friends is always better to me. I enjoy the camaraderie, even when their goal for the day is to grab easy finds to up their numbers. But even with this fun social aspect, there is a limit to what i would want to endure. They could offer to fly me out in their private jet, provide lodging, fine dining, and transportation, but i'd still decline going with them to do a power trail in Nevada. ;)

My highest # of caches in a day is 16 - on a quest to complete a NY State Park Challenge, which I did complete!  10 of the 16 caches that day qualified for the challenge, the others were just bonus caches we found along the way.  

I was caching with a "muggle" - a childhood friend I wanted to visit, but I also wanted to complete the Park Challenge while on vacation ... combining the visit with her, and hiking the state parks (we did 2 parks, plus 2 historical sites) was an awesome day.  And it happens to be the day with my highest # of finds, so I would probably consider a "best day" as well!

I am not in this for the #'s.  I don't intend to ever do the ET trail (my son did that with 3 friends - I saw video, that's good enough for me!) or others like it.  I may get better than the 16 someday, but that's not a goal in and of itself.  If it happens, it happens.  I've been caching for less than a year, so anything is possible, I guess!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1

For me, my largest numbers in a day:

133 on 23/08/2011; 120 on 12/09/2016; 65 on 14/04/2013

The two days over 100 were done with my brother-in-law, and involved a full day of mainly driving and then short walks to the caches.    The 65 was me solo, on foot, in a country park in Australia.     Big numbers are not a priority for me but I enjoyed all 3 days, and I remember them well.

I've not done trails by bicycle, only because I don't have a working bike.     I would think a bike path with caches close together along it would be a way to find 100 or more in a day.

Obviously the only way to get really big numbers in a day (500, or even 1000+) is a driving power trail, where caches are close together and quick/identical finds, like the ET highway.   I've never done anything like that.    I would give it a try if I get the chance.   I'm sure my numbers would be lower than many, as I don't like to hurry.   I think I find a whole day of trying to maximise speed to be exhausting.   But a full day of going at a relaxed pace with good friends I think I would enjoy, regardless of if the caches were repetitive.   

On 9/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, Ranger Fox said:

The person, unfortunately, did a divide and conquer cache run.  I've been on those and it's really hard on my morality because I place a higher value on having people to cache with and being invited for the next run.  If I can log just what I found without angering key team members, I'd like to do that.  But if it means I won't be invited back, I'll swallow my pride and log with the team to be nice, but I really need to find other people to cache with.

Better to have few friends with high standards than many friends with low standards.

• Upvote 1

My largest day is 35. I went on a power trial on my bike. I remember getting annoyed because I had to stop every 800 feet or so to grab a cache. I just wanted to ride my bike. Not a fan of power trails where each cache is hidden in the same way. Makes it boring. My best caching day was a total of 1. 

• Upvote 2

I'm now up to 64 in a day.  My son and I spent a weekend caching the Sapphire Surprise Trail near Bega to get the Hidden Creatures.  50 on the Saturday and 64 on the Sunday.  It isn't a traditional power trail as hides and difficulties vary a lot.  All theoretically P&G, but some took well over 10 minutes to find, with 2 sets of eyes.

I doubt that I'll ever try to beat that.

**Update**

Since my last post in this thread (waaay back in November!) we've had a few more caching experiences, and a few days that top my 16 found in a day.  On Feb. 2, we did a puzzle series and nabbed 22 caches before we stopped - it seemed an appropriate place to end that day!

In April we went to visit our son near Phoenix, AZ, and meet our (then) 3 week old grandson.  Our son had been working a series of geoart puzzles out in the desert, and wanted to take us out to see how many we could do.  There were 60+ caches, but we didn't know how the baby would do on the desert "roads".  He's a born geocacher - he LOVED the bumps and ruts and only cried when we stopped!  We got about 30 or 35 of the art series before the adults in the car were ready for a break!  We cached in calmer places the rest of the day to make a nice even 40 caches found on that day, our best find count in one day to date.  It wasn't something hubby and I would do on our own; it was enjoyable because we were with family and doing it together.  It was a unique experience, and the geoart looks cool on the map!

We recently did a portion of the "Rectangle Road" series near Sacramento, CA to finish up the Hidden Creatures promo to get the last souvenir.  Once we got the 30 or so we needed for the souvenir, we were done.  You DO get into a kind of rhythm when you are on a power trail like that (every other telephone pole had a cache hidden), and it's a quick way to bump the #'s (we got those 30 in an hour), but it's not what I enjoy about geocaching.  I'd rather do a 2-3 hour hike or walk and find a half dozen or so along the way - it's more enjoyable to me.

I doubt we will ever find more than the 40 in one day; we've rarely had any 2-digit days of cache finds. We're having fun!

8 hours ago, hzoi said:

I just spotted a challenge cache nearby that requires three 100-find days in a row.  My one 100-find day was work enough without going for three.  I respectfully decline to accept the challenge.

Yeah, challenges like that go on my ignore list when they appear within my blast radius.

With all those extraordinary numbers I wonder what people recorded here on the cache logs & how long it took them to write up!  Must be honest & say i am seriously unimpressed with quantity number chasing & from my armchair enjoy reading cache descriptions & logs by people who have found maybe only a very few caches but have written some really interesting accounts of their finds & their experiences.

I had not thought about how many I ever found in one day but have just surprised myself by looking at my statistics & realising I found a record 24 just 10 days ago.  But I go out on hikes, adjusting my chosen routes to pick up nearby caches, rather than specifically seeking lots of caches per se & would not dream of doing drive by routes apart from maybe picking up an odd one whilst passing by on another mission.  But this is an activity that fits all participants, no matter which way you enjoy it.  Each to his own.  I am having fun also!!

Edited by grimpil
41 minutes ago, grimpil said:

With all those extraordinary numbers I wonder what people recorded here on the cache logs & how long it took them to write up!

Taking a look at the logs on the ET Highway numbers trail caches, it looks like most write a single log for the entire numbers run (perhaps a single long paragraph or a few shorter paragraphs), and then copy-paste it to every Find log. Actually, they probably don't copy-paste it at all. Most probably use a tool of some sort (e.g., GSAK) to automatically post Find logs with a standard message to every cache in the numbers trail.

28 minutes ago, grimpil said:

With all those extraordinary numbers I wonder what people recorded here on the cache logs & how long it took them to write up!

My three highest count days (86. 57 & 56) were on Cache Machines (a NorthWest event with a pre-planned route followed by dinner) and I wrote individual logs for each cache.  There may be similar phrases used, but each was about that cache.  Some are longer than others, different things happen along the route.  Sometimes I'd be with a group (from one or two up to a dozen) for a few, sometimes they may be more interesting than others (like the gadget cache that had a fake log that others hadn't read and so signed the wrong sheet - we had fun telling  some of them to go back and find the real log sheet), and sometimes they were just "ordinary" quick caches - but each got a personalized log.  It took anywhere from a couple of days to a week (a lot depended on my mood) to get them written and published.

My "best" day on my own was when I got 20 of 21 (darn, DNF!) caches in a park (about 8 miles of walking trails with mix of cache types) and nine others (including an event) on the way to & back from the park.  Again, personalized logs.  The only time I used cut & paste logs was for a series of C&P caches ("A C&P cache deserves a C&P log") so I could tease the CO.

9 hours ago, grimpil said:

On the geoart trail in AZ, my son was teachng us how to use GSAK to use a basic text for the log, but increment the count and auto date /timestamp it - coll, yes, and made quick work of logging all of them.  I did go back and edit a few that stood out for one reason or another; they do tend to blur after awhile.

8 hours ago, The Jester said:

("A C&P cache deserves a C&P log")

For the Rectangle Road, I did resort to cut n paste but did note a few that stood out, again.  I much prefer to write, even if it 's just a sentence or two, some thing specific for each cache - it helps when revisiting sites if I've said some thing memorable for that cache.

My highest number days are 229 in Walla Walla, Washington with friends. Like with the ET highway, we swapped out containers for the next one. She drove and we took turns either hopping out or signing the log. If one person hadn't found the cache by the time the log was signed, the other person got out and joined in. There were a couple times she got out and pointed out exactly where the cache was! I also did a 205 cache power trail by myself and will never do that again. What is fun with friends is a chore by myself.

My more memorable day is 34 hiking caches and getting caught 40 feet from a cache when a solar flare hit. The gps instantly changed to .14 miles away no matter where or what direction I moved.

13 hours ago, grimpil said:

My 100-find day was part of a numbers run weekend, close to 200 total over three days, specifically so we could log our first cache in Japan as our 4000th find.  Since I try not to do copy/paste logs, the combination of finding and signing  dozens of substantially similar caches, then trying not to write the same dang thing a hundred times in a row, is what really got to me - after hours searching for micros in the woods all weekend, I then spent hours on the computer that week logging my finds.  Perhaps I should have just given in and copy/pasted, like everyone else seems to do, but my reaction instead was to steer away from doing that kind of caching.

These days, 30 at a time is a big numbers day.  Since now I usually log from the field, I can think of things to say on the spot that actually pertain to the cache in question.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, The Jester said:

The only time I used cut & paste logs was for a series of C&P caches ("A C&P cache deserves a C&P log") so I could tease the CO.

I do the same ;) .

Usually I write individual logs for every cache. Quite often it's only one or two sentences (there are lots of rather mundane hides), but no C&P. This even holds for cache trails, where the listings are not identical. But if I do a series which has C&P listings, I also write C&P logs, with the first sentence saying something along the lines of what you said - "C&P listings deserve C&P logs".

2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I do the same ;) .

Usually I write individual logs for every cache. Quite often it's only one or two sentences (there are lots of rather mundane hides), but no C&P. This even holds for cache trails, where the listings are not identical. But if I do a series which has C&P listings, I also write C&P logs, with the first sentence saying something along the lines of what you said - "C&P listings deserve C&P logs".

I don't do C&P caches but occasionally I'll find several caches in a day and may include similar information in each found it log.  When I've found several caches by the same cache owner I try to make each listing unique so that a CO doesn't see the same text on every cache of theirs I've found.  

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

Perhaps I should have just given in and copy/pasted, like everyone else seems to do, but my reaction instead was to steer away from doing that kind of caching.

That's a tough one if it's a personal ethic about logging... you could just keep in mind that the CO most likely expects copy/paste logs on long powertrails, and a tiny segment of, if any, people who view the listing will actually read the log. So the main and likely solo use of the log text in those cases will probably be for yourself. That to me justifies the base copy/paste text (plus anything that is additionally relevant and pertinent, as usual).

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't do C&P caches but occasionally I'll find several caches in a day and may include similar information in each found it log.  When I've found several caches by the same cache owner I try to make each listing unique so that a CO doesn't see the same text on every cache of theirs I've found.  

I was thinking the same.  There have been plenty of threads (here and on FB) discussing the audience for / purpose of a log; I’ve never done a power trail, but I imagine, for those caches, the person writing the log is likely to be the only one that really cares.

A few weeks ago I did 123 on a hot sunny day, all by myself, driving along a few power trails.

It was easier than expected because my previous "best" days, even though were quite fun, involved lots walking an exhausting discussions with my companions, which at the end of the day just drained me completely.

Way way back in October 2006, I held the Queensland (Australia) record for most finds in one day, at 62. This really was doing it the old fashioned way, paper notes, no paperless caching, started at 0020 hrs, and finished just after 2000 hrs, absolutely shattered, as I had only had about 4 hrs sleep before that, and a 7 hr drive before that, immediately after finishing work. My record only lasted one month, but at least I can say I held it. 

Since then, we have beaten that number many times, (actually 5 times). Highest is 130 in a day on 5th April 2015. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I’ve never done a power trail, but I imagine, for those caches, the person writing the log is likely to be the only one that really cares.

I can think of several times that I was looking for a micro on the edge of a path in the woods, loose coordinates with no/useless hint, that I have very much appreciated a log that wasn't copy/paste that had some information that was helpful to my search.  (I can think of many more times I've checked the logs only to find useless copy/paste log after useless copy/paste log.)

Maybe my logs get lost in the shuffle, and maybe they only satisfy my own desire to not leave a copy/paste log.  But I'd like to think they are not solely for my own benefit, which is another reason why I try to tailor them to the cache.

Were I ever to complete a power trail like the ET highway, where I understand there really isn't much difference from one cache to another, I imagine it would be a struggle to come up with logs that were really different or helpful.  At present I have no intention of ever doing more than a handful, assuming I ever get out there at all.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, hzoi said:

I can think of several times that I was looking for a micro on the edge of a path in the woods, loose coordinates with no/useless hint, that I have very much appreciated a log that wasn't copy/paste that had some information that was helpful to my search.  (I can think of many more times I've checked the logs only to find useless copy/paste log after useless copy/paste log.)

Right, this is why I add relevant stuff if there's anything to add. But I think the point was that the CO most often isn't looking for fun/unique logs on every cache in a powertrail (not like an independent cache placed with location, puzzle, or container intent), and most people don't expect to see that on a powertrail either.  I add unique relevant stuff to the logs when applicable because I know there are people (such as myself) who do do quick scans of past logs if one seems overly difficult. But I also know in doing that that the vast majority of logs are going to be c/p. :) 

With lots of experience traveling and hiking in the deserts I have learned to not go anywhere you haven’t recently been in the daylight so one evening I stopped caching and just drove along the ET highway and checked out the area some miles ahead and marked that spot on my GPS. My last find was already on my GPS so no need to enter that. The next morning I left Rachel, NV before daylight and headed out caching between those marks. When I got to the last mark I stopped and drank coffee until the sun came up and started again. No faking the finds, I have witnessed a lot of that, I stamped and/or replaced each cache. In the late evening I drove ahead once again and marked that spot so I could find those caches in the dark until I got to that mark. *When caching alone, driving a hybrid car sure helps because you never need to turn it off nor worry about running out of gas.*

That is how I did it, now to what I did; [Total for that day] “961 caches in one day on 03/11/2012”

Why I did it; Because even though I was an active hiker and outdoorsman I was feeling old (at age 65) and wanted to push myself. Plus it was just pure fun on the run under the sun.

Highlight of the day; Was the sun rolling across the desert like someone rolling up a dark curtain *plus* the stallion standing there watching me within maybe 200 feet when the sun came up.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 2