My first hide

Tylers883

I have an idea for my first hide, can you give me any insight on how to do this where I don't violate any basic principles of geocaching?

I would like to create an ammo can cache with the theme of " Scouts 10 essentials for camping"

I'd encourage people to pack their own 10 essentials, come on out, find the cache and stay one night camping with the 10 essentials.

hopefully they would trade some of their 10 essentials with the ones in the cache. I think the log would really draw out some interesting comments from people with different views.

Ok, after reading this thread, knives are definitely out of the question. I'll add a plastic knife, or nothing at all.

What about matches? The rules says 'family friendly',,,,,,, will matches in a child proof pill bottle qualify? or what about a fire by friction device?

Edited by Tylers883

If you want people to stay overnight, then your best bet is to place the cache in a location that is at least a day's hike from the nearest trailhead.

And there are multiple versions of the 10 Essentials. In addition to the issue with knives as trade items, there could be issues with other items:

• Sunscreen is often scented, and items that are edible or that might smell edible to animals are not a good idea. Also, liquids can leak, which can ruin other trade items in the same cache container.
  • For first aid supplies, ask yourself whether you would use the item if it had been sitting in a damp cache container for who knows how long. Anything that is packaged to remain sanitary is probably a bad idea, just because it's unlikely to remain sanitary.
  • Firemaking tools fall into a similar category as knives, although I don't think either is a real issue for a cache that's a day's hike from the nearest trailhead. Anyone who reaches the cache site is either capable of handling these safely, or they're being supported and supervised by someone who is. And a firebow is certainly safe. It takes enough skill to actually start a fire with one that you don't need to worry about children or newbies accidentally burning down the forest with one.
  • Nutrition and hydration are a bad idea. Food attracts animals. Water can leak and ruin everything. Neither are the kind of things that are likely to be used by someone after they've sat in a damp cache container for who knows how long.

Also, keep in mind that themed trade items are just a suggestion. Some people will follow the theme. Some will trade other items regardless of the stated theme. Most won't trade at all. Make sure your expectations match the likely outcome.

And speaking of expectations, a cache that is at least a day's hike from the nearest trailhead won't be found often.

Edited by niraD
27 minutes ago, niraD said:

If you want people to stay overnight, then your best bet is to place the cache in a location that is at least a day's hike from the nearest trailhead.

And there are multiple versions of the 10 Essentials. In addition to the issue with knives as trade items, there could be issues with other items:

• Sunscreen is often scented, and items that are edible or that might smell edible to animals are not a good idea. Also, liquids can leak, which can ruin other trade items in the same cache container.
  • For first aid supplies, ask yourself whether you would use the item if it had been sitting in a damp cache container for who knows how long. Anything that is packaged to remain sanitary is probably a bad idea, just because it's unlikely to remain sanitary.
  • Firemaking tools fall into a similar category as knives, although I don't think either is a real issue for a cache that's a day's hike from the nearest trailhead. Anyone who reaches the cache site is either capable of handling these safely, or they're being supported and supervised by someone who is. And a firebow is certainly safe. It takes enough skill to actually start a fire with one that you don't need to worry about children or newbies accidentally burning down the forest with one.
  • Nutrition and hydration are a bad idea. Food attracts animals. Water can leak and ruin everything. Neither are the kind of things that are likely to be used by someone after they've sat in a damp cache container for who knows how long.

Also, keep in mind that themed trade items are just a suggestion. Some people will follow the theme. Some will trade other items regardless of the stated theme. Most won't trade at all. Make sure your expectations match the likely outcome.

And speaking of expectations, a cache that is at least a day's hike from the nearest trailhead won't be found often.

Thank you. Those are all good reasons to abandon the idea and/or difficult issues to overcome, yet the basic idea is appealing to me.

Perhaps the thing that matters is not the items in the cache....Perhaps the overnight stay at the specific location is the way to make this fun for those that go.... and the cache needs to be more traditional.

Sounds (to me) like fun, but we can't get folks to walk more than a half mile, much less stay overnight too.  :D

Now you know sharps and matches are out, that kinda takes care of a good chunk of explaining the 10 essentials.  Add in food and anything with a scent and you got ponchos and first aid kits in a container.  We do that now. 

A cacher with a few hides along the AT whose name starts with the word Water, has left pony bottles in caches as long as I can remember.  Some folks in a bind (after a mishap with the other 2/3rds, we're one)  really appreciated that.

Similar to niraD, we've left the "essentials" and more in our AT hides, where the conditions usually aren't kid friendly, and we were on some list somewhere as a JIC emergency stop for thru-hikers as well as "finding a cache along the way".

Where do you plan on hiding your ammo can?  When you get permission from the landowner, be sure to mention folks may be staying over.  Most parks near me have rules on where/when people can camp, and sometimes (on holidays especially)  there just isn't a space available.  That could put a damper on things.  Many have restrictions on fires as well.

Considering your location, also keep in mind that liquids of any kind freeze during winter months.  This includes things like ink (in pens/markers), some first aid components (cremes, ointments, disinfectants), and others--think it through.  Things like candles/crayons can melt during summer months (with the sun beating down on an airtight(?) metal can.

We tracked down a few scout-related/themed caches near us too, and they were similar to colleda's mention.  They also requested any scouts (or former scouts) include their troop #s in the cache log (in the container).

You might peruse existing scout-themed caches (most have "scout" or "troop" in their names) for some other ideas.