Tree climbing for the older generation, not a good idea

hullnewfy

13 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I started climbing trees with ropes when I was already in my 50s largely following the example of another cacher who only started himself when he was in his 60s, he's 70 this year and still actively searching out tree climbing caches. I don't see any reason to stop when I hit 60, unless something really bad happens in the next 5 years.

That's awesome. I've been getting a hankering for picking up an amateur set of climbing equipment for some of the more extreme treeclimbs; just enough to be able to get up to a high point where a ladder would not suffice. I've done rock climbing and whatnot, but treeclimbing is a little different, and there are a good variety of equipment and methods (from knotted rope to professional tree climbing/arborist gear). I've seen examples of a few attempts by cachers with makeshift equipment :)

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I agree.  Many we introduced were well into their fifties.  All noticed that mechanical devices on rope is easier than they imagined.

That's awesome.

I have trouble with elevated caches because I have a crippling fear of heights. I am still in my 30s. I am okay knowing there are caches I won't get at all, or won't reach without teamwork.

I know cachers in their 60s and 70s who are very adventurous and physically capable. I don't think those cachers would appreciate others complaining on their behalf on the basis of age.

More people should get comfortable with the fact that they don't have to do every cache which is out there. I'll happily ignore ones that don't interest me (urban or uninteresting looking hides) and people can easily enough ignore ones which are out of their comfort zone. Just know your limits.

Age doesn't come into it - there's a cacher near me who's well into his 70s (75 I think, although it's hard to tell). He happily climbs trees (either free climbing or putting in fixed ropes, going much higher than I feel comfortable), goes into narrow tunnels or abseils down rock faces, all for caches. He can also out walk me, 30 years his junior!

• Upvote 2
On 29/08/2017 at 0:10 AM, hullnewfy said:

I have just come back from another trail were we found 8 out of 8 .  

No need to congratulate me yet as the last one wasn't where it was suppose to be.  It was suppose to be about 15 foot up a tree.

Can someone please tell me why do we need to risk life and limb by placing caches up in trees were there is a risk of falling i thought this was suppose to be a fun thing that we can all enjoy.  

Not all of us have happy tree climbing kids, that will easy place them up as high as they can and say let see if anyone finds it.

Is that really necessary as it has a tendancy it ruins the experience if you can not complete a trail without the aid of someones child to help you 

we are not all that lucky to have these facility available to use.

Surely common sense must prevail in these circumstances. this is suppose to be an enjoyable experience not a challenge of wits and bravery  

lets have a think before placing them high up   

Yes it is necessary, simply because not all the caches are for all the caches.

It is up to you to decide what you can do safely and to walk away from those you can't.

• Upvote 1

Look carefully you may not need to climb for some. A pole TOTT may be all that is needed.

I have a 24 footer painters pole works great for that type. There are other types of pole out there.

look / shop carefully and you may find one like Fish2007 has. good price electricians pole 20 foot will fit in a car.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Mn-treker said:

Look carefully you may not need to climb for some. A pole TOTT may be all that is needed.

Folks say that often here.  We've yet to find any tree hide (climb or rope) that didn't have the container secured.  Odd, huh?    :)

Hopefully not why the last 4.5 multi attempted had one of the tree containers laying on the ground, with pieces of it's tether still attached...

18 hours ago, Mn-treker said:

I have a 24 footer painters pole works great for that type. There are other types of pole out there.

look / shop carefully and you may find one like Fish2007 has. good price electricians pole 20 foot will fit in a car.

It's funny you should post this.

I'm 71 and when I was just a kid ... 69 ..... I did a tree climb that was HARD!

Mainly because of all the vines and undergrowth around the base of the tree.

I persevered, and got the cache (and a pic by MsKitty of me up the tree)

I mentioned it to the CO in an email, and he told me that I should carry a painter's pole because that's how he hid the darn thing!

He wondered how I could have gotten up there! :lol:

• Upvote 2

I have a few up trees. All placed with a pole and none tied in. I usually place the tool needed attribute on the page.

At one a finder came with tree climbing gear, like a logger would use. He put the strap around the tree and spikes on his boots.

Up he went and got it. But I must mention the tree was devoid of branches from ground to cache location.

But some people do not notice the attributes and try to climb to get some of my high ones.

I am a deer hunter and have some safety gear to use while climbing once having gone 40 feet up one.

So maybe get some safety gear to use while up there.

20 hours ago, wimseyguy said:

Kudos to the OP for being in touch with his emotional younger self. That post reads like a whiny entitled millennial, not someone from the so-called older generation.

Seems about on par for a boomer. Or maybe pigeonholing everyone based on age is just a poor individual decision that has nothing to do with age.

Edited by narcissa

This sport would become boring if not for different challenges.  If all caches were just walk up and find it wouldn't appeal to many.   Up trees,  kayak to it is all for the fun of the game.  I don't like to work on puzzles.  I can probably climb that tree but probably can't solve that crazy puzzle but others like that. 

I can see your point if it is a series of caches not to make one not accessible to all. We put out a mini power trail of about 8 caches and we kept that in mind so everyone would be able to find them all when doing that series.

Hi all,

Having just read most if not all of the posts on this topic, I realise that I have made two very important mistakes.....

No1.......I thought you had to log them all......

No2.......last month I climbed about 5 mts into an old oak tree.........what's the mistake you ask...........im over 70.....lol

regards