Something for the old timers

DenaliNW

I'm doing a little research in early Portland Geocaching. Obviously Un-Original commemorates the first stash ever placed. And Makaio has the distinction of hosting the first local get together. Excluding Mountain Marsh, is there any cache in Portland proper older than Inspirational?

How quickly did things get going here? It seems as if Makaio and Exocet and Wit Camp were finding caches as early as December of 2000, but even then it doesn't look like things really started to take off until April of 2001.

quote:
I am not sure why the implication that Mt Marsh is in Portland...

Well, that would be my head thinking one thing, and my fingers thinking another. In the general Portland AREA, Mt. Marsh appears to be the oldest, but Inspirational still takes the cake for being the oldest within the city limits.

Anyway, I've been working off and on on a Portland Caching page (hence the history), and have done most of the easy stuff. The cool hard stuff I would like to do, I'm still figuring out. It's tough understanding the concept of databases and dynamic web pages, but not knowing the particulars of making it happen.

Took a break from packing and looking for a place to move (sold the house and need to vacate by month end) and thought I'd pop in to see what's happening here.

I believe Inspirational is, in fact, the oldest existing cache still around the Portland metro area. As I recall, there were only a handful around PDX when I started perusing the site back in Sept, Aught Aught. Most were Dave Ulmer's which most of you are aware he has since removed (noted as Movedx below). I planted my first (Sauvie Island) in 10/00 prior to ever hunting any.

Here's a list of my first 11 logs most of which no longer exist.

2/11/2001 Council Crest Cache (Oregon)

1/7/2001 Secret Lava Bed (Washington)

1/7/2001 Mike's First (Washington)

1/7/2001 Mountain Marsh (Washington)

12/30/2000 Un-Original Stash (Oregon)

12/28/2000 Inspirational (Oregon)

11/25/2000 Moved4 (Oregon)

11/19/2000 Sauvie Island Stash (Oregon)

11/4/2000 Downtown Stash (Oregon)

10/29/2000 Cardboard Hill Cache (Washington)

10/22/2000 Moved2 (Oregon)

10/22/2000 Moved5 (Oregon)

Cardboard Hill - in Vancouver. Nobody ever found it

Downtown - the first "urban" cache which didn't last long in Pioneer Square

My own Sauvie Island (now defunct), and Un-Original

Inspriational - still kickin'

Mike's First, Mtn Marsh and Lava Bed

Exocet's Council Crest - still alive and well

Looking forward to adding a few more to the list after this initial move, then a whole new area to dive into once we get settled in Phoenix, AZ.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Looking forward to adding a few more to the list after this initial move, then a whole new area to dive into once we get settled in Phoenix, AZ.

sorry to hear you are moving away. You are after all one of the founding fathers of geocaching right here in the Pacific NW. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

It's been on our agenda for the past few years and things are beginning to fall into place to make it happen. It could still be another few months (might wait until fall to avoid moving during the Phoenix summer!) so the Best Geocaching Region on Earth won't be getting rid of me just yet icon_wink.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

This was our first cache on 6/9/2001: River Viewand the amazing thing is if you read the owners profile it was his only cache - found or placed! I suppose he could have taken a new name but interesting none the less. The cache, number 479, has over 140 logs and is one of the oldest in the city limits. Not sure of your plans, but your history may want to include most visited caches, as well.