Do you have to hide a cache?

Although I have cached for years and hidden caches, I was asked by a newbie if she needed to hide a cache to play our game. I admit, I was stumped. I told her it was her prerogative on whether she hid a cache or not. The only 'rules' to play are have an account, if you find a cache, you must sign the log with your caching name to claim a find and return it as found, no moving it. Was I off base with this?

8 minutes ago, bcrockcrawler, xstitcher, & BMXer said:

Although I have cached for years and hidden caches, I was asked by a newbie if she needed to hide a cache to play our game. I admit, I was stumped. I told her it was her prerogative on whether she hid a cache or not. The only 'rules' to play are have an account, if you find a cache, you must sign the log with your caching name to claim a find and return it as found, no moving it. Was I off base with this?

Nope.  :)

We know both, those who don't cache, but like to hide, and some who've started way before us with no hides yet - and that's fine.

We've started many new folks who signed the log in their real name, and said that if they decide to join, just remember to say so  (in case a CO checks).   

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1

There is certainly no requirement to hide a cache.  Your friend should not feel obligated to hide a cache in order to participate in the hobby.

If a cacher doesn't want the maintenance responsibilities that come with hiding a cache, then it's better that they don't hide one.  For example, some cachers travel a lot and so it makes sense that they don't hide a cache somewhere that they won't be able to visit if there were problems.

If a cacher doesn't know of a good spot to hide a cache, then it's better they don't hide one. Some cachers might place a cache somewhere 'just because' there isn't another cache in the area, but it's better to place a cache somewhere because there's something interesting/special/etc about the location.

• Upvote 1

I won't argue, Assasin (Momma told me, "NEVER  argue with an Assassin!" :o) but I observe that the converse is also likely: the more experience you have finding caches, the better you're likely to be at where & how to hide them. ;)  There are--of course--exceptions, and no guarantees. :D

Edited by RufusClupea
  • Upvote 1

I have been doing this for slightly over 10 years. I only (as of this moment) own one active cache. I would rather pour my time into maintaining that one well than spreading myself too thin taking care of multiples I might not get to. I have nothing but respect and wishful admiration of those who maintain huge amounts, like Geoart, etc. I do what I can to help (logs, etc.) but for me, I think you just really shouldn't bite off more than you can chew. That is why for now I have one, and by this time next week, *MIGHT* have 5. I would rather do high quality, meaningful and well maintained caches rather than not. <3