Motorcycle Caching

soup

Yesterday I took my motorcycle on a cache hunt. It was interesting, as I couldnt constanty refer to the GPS to see if I was going in the right direction (over shot the site by 20 miles), then hiking on a trail in my full cycling gear (helmet included) added some more challenges. It defenitly added a different aspect to the cache hunt experience.

So my question(s) are: Anybody else do this? Have same challenges? Would anyone be interested in a group motorcycle cache hunt?

A motorcycle gang of geocachers???

We could have leather jackets with "HellsCachers" on the back. I am sure that would cause concern and confusion at the biker bars, which is a good thing. -C icon_cool.gif

I would be very surprised if your bike doesn't have a helmet lock.

I have a Goldwing that I've cached a bit on. I don't like sport bikes, so the only logical choice for me was a full dresser.

I had a Nghthawk 650 for long enough to realize that I wanted a fairing on my bike. Hard bags and a trunk were a must too.

All this has lead me to ride dangerously. Meaning I don't were leather. I usually wear shorts and a tee.

With the fairing I can mount my suction cup mount for my GPSr.

Any ways the weather is perfect for motorcycle caching!

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Yeah, I have a helmet lock, but since veiwing the "Matrix 2" movie, I figure I can beat up people with said helmet. Example below..

Me: "Im the first finder! first finder!!"

Other cacher:"No way! I will sign log first!! ha ha!"

Me: WHONK!

I would be into a group of cyclist riding around finding stuff, but I only have so many pockets for trinkets..

I'm definitely interested. I'm just getting over tendinitis in my left (clutch) arm and am now cleared to ride again. Since the tendinitis started about the same time as I learned about Geocaching I haven't been able to do both at the same time yet.

I have the Garmin bicycle mount on my Etrex and my brother made me a custom stainless steel bar that bolts into the (unused) mirror bolt holes on my BMW. Works great. I used my GPS while riding all last summer and fall and with the maps up I don't have as many wrong or missed turns. Easy to find nearest gas, too.

We should work some group thing out.

There's a cacher named Goodtimes in Central Oregon who has done many caches by motorcycle, including the off-pavement variety. I saw them going into The Legend of Skull Hollow as I was leaving. Glad I beat them to the cache by a good margin, given Soup's comments about helmets! icon_wink.gif My own preference is to use a bicycle when possible.

"Real men cache in lycra shorts."

[This message was edited by bigeddy on July 07, 2003 at 09:55 AM.]