Keeping a GSAK database up-to-date

Elliotts4

We recently purchased a Garmin 64st - and now have the luxury of storing and viewing more than 1000 caches at at time. So, using the GSAK API "Get Geocaches" command (in order to get favorite point info, which is not contained in PQ data), I've created a GSAK database of about 5000 unfound caches in our home area. Cool!

Can anyone provide some tips on how to keep that database up-to-date? It's easy to just use the "Refresh" command to update the caches already in the database, but I'll also need to add new caches, remove our finds, and remove archived caches. For the new ones, I can use the date range on Page 2 of "Get Geocaches". For the finds, I'm thinking I can use a filter to filter them out and then delete them. Not sure how to find the archived ones.

I'm thinking probably someone has already written a nice summary on this very subject, but after searching these forums and the GSAK forums, I've only found bits and pieces of advice, and some of it from 10 years ago so possibly dated. I'd love to know about any personal tips, links, or macros available for this. Thanks in advance!!

I keep a database of all unfound caches in Belgium (30000+). I created PQs by date (34 at the moment) and run them weekly Mo-Th. Over time I have about 1000 selected caches that are on our "to do" list (solved mysteries, challenges, must do multi's...). After deciding where we'll go I select caches for that area and on Friday I "refresh" the data so all is up-2-date for the next day and export with the GarminExport macro, export images with SendImagestoGarmin macro and transfer the database and grabbed images to my Android tablet with GDAK.

Each week, after getting the PQs some caches are not updated so I refresh them manually. Most of them are archived and are moved to the "archived" database.

After our caching day, founds are moved to the "found" database and all collected data (WPs, values...) is entered.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Elliotts4 said:

For the new ones, I can use the date range on Page 2 of "Get Geocaches". For the finds, I'm thinking I can use a filter to filter them out and then delete them. Not sure how to find the archived ones.

On GSAK's "Filter -> General" screen, about halfway down you'll see "Available Status" and one of those check boxes is for "Archived".

• Upvote 1

I stagger my pocket queries by size and run them now and then.

I also have my notifications set not just for "published" logs (so I know when to add them), but also for "archived" and "retracted" logs (so I can take them out).

Now and then I'll also run the "refresh cache data" API call through GSAK, just for variety's sake.

• Upvote 1

I have a script that I run to check for archived caches. The logic is something like this:

1. Filter for caches where last update is older than yesterday's date

2. Prompt user to update these caches using GSAK API to update their status (I haven't figured out how to trigger this through script - I think Clyde specifically don't allow this at the request of Groundspeak some time ago, don't know if this has changed)

It will fail for caches that got unpublished, but those are few and far in between, so I don't mind handling them individually.

Let me know if you want my GSAK script.

• Upvote 1

It depends, to some extent, on how you define your local area. If it is a circle or simple rectangle, then PQ's might be the way to go.  However, in my case, I have a long strip of coastal land, stretching maybe 200Km North and South of my home, plus a rectangular extension heading inland about 60Km by 20Km N/S, which covers the area around my son's home. It would be possible, i suspect, to use a combination of PQ's along a route, but I find it more convenient to use a GSAK macro.

I used the GetCachesOnRoute.gsk macro to define the main North-South route, then edited the boxes to stretch the boxes inland to cover my son's location.  I then saved the boxes under the name "Local Caches".  Now, about once a week or so, I run the macro against my Local caches database and that gets every cache in the defined area.  Having done that, I filter using the dates tab for LastUpdateGPX not during the last 1 day, which gives me all caches in the database which weren't included in the macro run.  Now, I clear all user flags, set user flags for filter only and then filter for UserFlagSet.  Then I run a Refresh against the filter, which usually sets all those caches as archived.  I then delete the archived caches.

The reason for the mucking about with user flags is to keep the filter of caches visible after the refresh.  If I don't do that, all these caches get their LastUpdateGPX date set to today and the no longer meet the filter.

I have similar sets of boxes for the area around my daughter's home and also for other areas I want to visit.

• Upvote 1