Garmin Chirp

BSitton74

Some Garmin GPS units can detect Chirps. The Garmin GPSr has to be wireless enabled. I think every wireless-enabled Garmin, including the watches, will detect Chirps, but I'm not sure.

Some smartphones can detect Chirps. The phones need to be ANT compliant, or whatever the technical terminology is. There are apps that can be installed on compatible phones to detect Chirps. I'm not sure of the app names offhand.

1 hour ago, BSitton74 said:

Another question I have: Is a chirp ready to out of the box or is there any programming needed for it?

It arrives ready to communicate with a compatible Garmin GPSr (or compatible phone with an ANT App).  But it's all zeroed-out.  Finders expect to receive coordinates to the next stage, for example.  So using your phone or GPSr, set up its name, coordinates, and a little text.

I have a chirp hidden in front of my house ( it gives directions to the final cache location about 1 mile away ). Only certain Garmin units pick up the chirp and on those units you have to have " chirp enabled " selected. When you get to about 30 feet of the chirp your unit will pick it up and display the message that the CO programmed into the chirp. They are supposed to be waterproof but I put mine in a container for extra protection.

Its a seldom found cache but I'm sure creative things could be done with a chirp but again it would only be available to some Garmin users.